Camera Work - UK v US

Gill PGill P Posts: 21,587
Forum Member
✭✭✭
For the first time I have watched a routine from DWTS (Artem and Leah AT) and it is noticeable that the camera work is far superior in their dance than any in SCD! I am sorry to say this but I cannot understand why the BBC cameramen do not show the dancers' whole bodies. It was a brilliant dance shown in its entirety without ridiculous panning and swirling around.

BBC director please take note!

Comments

• J.RJ.R Posts: 2,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My daughter lives abroad and dosn't see Strictly, she's over for a visit and saw it for the first time on Saturday - one of her first comments was -' what's with all the weird camera stuff, you can't see what they are doing '!!!
    So many times the camera is blinded by the spotlights that you can't see anything at all, other times it's having so much fun swirling and jigging around that it becomes impossible to see the footwork. Often the judges comment on something that we havn't seen because the camera was bobbing along by itself.
    I quite accept that a static camera would be unhelpful and a bit boring but I wish they would calm it down a bit. I am presuming they don't have a great deal of time to plan camera angles etc but less is more in this instance - imo of course.
  • VintageWhineVintageWhine Posts: 1,038
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the BBC invented the "weird camera work" that blights virtually all TV shows nowadays. The camera operators seem to want to add their own two-penny-worth, in terms of what they perceive as "artistry".

But artistry is NOT what is wanted by the viewer. The art of good camera work is actually to be completely unobtrusive to the viewers, such that they see everything they want to see. Unfortunately, that art seems to be long lost.
  • fridgesoupfridgesoup Posts: 17,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree abut the camera work on the two shows - it's usually much better on Dwts without being boring. (They do overdose on 'production' in other ways, though ;-))

I hate the whirly-gig (un)steadycam stuff and the frantic cutting. I really noticed the lighting flares getting in the way on last week's Strictly. Surely that's 'what to avoid' at its most basic :confused:

Sometimes reminds me of Top of the Pops circa 1975 :(
  • henrywilliams58henrywilliams58 Posts: 4,963
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We have the Whirling Dervish Cameraman on Acid taking an overdose of double espressos. The cameraman should never be noticed by the viewer.

This is a great article: The Art of Operating a Camera

http://www.surreyborder.org.uk/articles-by-filmmakers/article-camera-art.htm

All too often today we see on professional television, badly framed, badly lit, out of focus, shaky camera work, with cameras never still for an instant. So if the professionals do it, it must be easy and OK for us to follow their example.

Sadly, in this day and age, accountants run television companies, not entrepreneurs with vision. Cost conscious Production Managers will employ, Researchers, Production Assistants, Gophers etc. And if the opportunity offers itself will even use amateur video clubs, and their members to 'do it on the cheap' for their productions.

They do often employ professional Cameramen, and then you won't notice the camera work, however expert it is. And this of course is exactly how it should be. The viewer should never, never notice the camera work.

And after all this preamble this is where I am leading. The viewer should never be aware of the camera, or its operation. Every pan. every tilt. re framing should be 'motivated' and camera movement timed to coincide with artist movement, movement within the frame, or a musical phrase. Cutting between shots should hardly be noticed. and to achieve this, there have to be a few common denominators.

The BBC seem to have thrown out the basics of Film-making 101 with the bathwater of Home Counties South Formation Military Two-Step.

Sad.
  • Lili27Lili27 Posts: 2,950
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One thing they do on DWTS is a Sunday camera blocking for Monday's show. All the couples do a run through. Dress rehearsal is on the day of the show but camera blocking always takes place on Sunday. I assume it is so the cameramen can decide how to best captures the angles they need. I have never heard anyone on ITT or the pros or couples speak of this camera blocking process for SCD. Does anyone know?
  • fridgesoupfridgesoup Posts: 17,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lili27 wrote: »
    One thing they do on DWTS is a Sunday camera blocking for Monday's show. All the couples do a run through. Dress rehearsal is on the day of the show but camera blocking always takes place on Sunday. I assume it is so the cameramen can decide how to best captures the angles they need. I have never heard anyone on ITT or the pros or couples speak of this camera blocking process for SCD. Does anyone know?

I'm pretty sure they do do it on Strictly, but I think the gallery director likes it this way and thinks it's more exciting :(
  • anirose26anirose26 Posts: 1,432
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Most of the wonderful professional dances in SCD are ruined by swirling and cutting camera work. I want to see the synchronicity between the dancers and their movements. Poor camera work make them look messy and non-sync.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Here are links to two other threads on the camera work for those that did not notice them

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2018543

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2016851
  • lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the BBC invented the "weird camera work" that blights virtually all TV shows nowadays. The camera operators seem to want to add their own two-penny-worth, in terms of what they perceive as "artistry".

But artistry is NOT what is wanted by the viewer. The art of good camera work is actually to be completely unobtrusive to the viewers, such that they see everything they want to see. Unfortunately, that art seems to be long lost.

I would blame Channel 4 more than BBC, at one time you seemed to rarely see an interview on Channel 4 that did not have the camera leaning at an angle. They had a number of 'edgy' programmes that loved do weird things because they thought it was artistic - equivalent of the magazine that like to print articles using dark grey ink on a black background. BBC followed with similar programmes from people like Janet Street Porter that followed the practice.
  • bendymixerbendymixer Posts: 18,628
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    they used to get it right on the old come dancing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aHpPNQEQrfs
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We have the Whirling Dervish Cameraman on Acid taking an overdose of double espressos. The cameraman should never be noticed by the viewer.

This is a great article: The Art of Operating a Camera

http://www.surreyborder.org.uk/articles-by-filmmakers/article-camera-art.htm

The BBC seem to have thrown out the basics of Film-making 101 with the bathwater of Home Counties South Formation Military Two-Step.

Sad.

The BBC used to lead the field in the quality of training in all artistic, technical and engineering aspects of radio and television but this has been run down over the years because of successive governments (not just this one) reducing the licence fee. Now most people involved in a production will not be BBC staff and could have been shooting a pop video the day before.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bendymixer wrote: »
    they used to get it right on the old come dancing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aHpPNQEQrfs

I thought Come Dancing was only Black & White!

Excellent camera work. Minimum shots of 5 seconds with some upto 20 seconds. So restful and enjoyable. Clapping only at the end. No standing ovations.

Here is the same couple's (Ballroom) Tango to shock horror Tango music. Juan D'Arienzo's "9 de Julio" I think it sounds like but an adaptation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPpVnOVhfPo

The cameraman is following the dancers rather than creating his own movement. Classic.

Here is a much earthier AT version of "9 de Julio" and that translates to a different dance style.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eXy6t7HjbgM

It is amazing how much better a dance can be if the dancers know the music well. 9 de Julio is a regular song at Milongas so I know it well and know what's coming up and chuck fast stuff in and slow it down.

I say that because all the music should come from the celebs own music collection. There would be enough variation.
  • Gill PGill P Posts: 21,587
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am glad that most people agree with me!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,340
    Forum Member
    The other Strictly favourite with the camerawork is to cut away to a long shot that makes the dancing couple look tiny just as they do something exciting in their routine. It really irritates me. In fact, my number one peeve with Strictly is the manic camerawork which makes me feel like I'm missing what is going on.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Excellent camera work. Minimum shots of 5 seconds with some upto 20 seconds. So restful and enjoyable. Clapping only at the end. No standing ovations.

What were the viewing figures for Come Dancing when it was dropped in 1998? I seem to remember it was shown late at night which suggests it was not attracting a large audience.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lundavra wrote: »
    What were the viewing figures for Come Dancing when it was dropped in 1998? I seem to remember it was shown late at night which suggests it was not attracting a large audience.

Match of The Day is shown late at night, has a large audience and does not have a Whirling Dervish on Acid Cameraman running round on the pitch. I'll count the seconds per shot in football. Nothing frantic.
  • CravenHavenCravenHaven Posts: 13,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    More like camera w**k in the British show. And I'm not talking about work being a four-letter word.
    The most important element in the camera work is the producer. If you have four cameras, what's most important is to let the cameramen do their thing naturally and switch the view on the control desk for the most telling view. The producer should be paying careful attention on the Friday to the venue training and preferably to the other training footage as well to select the shots. The other week Judy launched herself into Anton's arms from the stage as the party piece and the producer switched to a wide shot so you got none of its glory. Inept use of the console desk.
    I don't know who they have on the cameras but I think they would be better of contracting cameramen from Wimbledon or sporting events rather than people fresh out of Film School.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    More like camera w**k in the British show. And I'm not talking about work being a four-letter word.
    The most important element in the camera work is the producer. If you have four cameras, what's most important is to let the cameramen do their thing naturally and switch the view on the control desk for the most telling view. The producer should be paying careful attention on the Friday to the venue training and preferably to the other training footage as well to select the shots. The other week Judy launched herself into Anton's arms from the stage as the party piece and the producer switched to a wide shot so you got none of its glory. Inept use of the console desk.
    I don't know who they have on the cameras but I think they would be better of contracting cameramen from Wimbledon or sporting events rather than people fresh out of Film School.

Agreed.

No audience participation during rallies. No Whirling Dervish on Acid Cameraman running onto the court during rallies. Professional camera work. Very large international audience.

No standing ovations unless really good match.
  • tonycollins100tonycollins100 Posts: 544
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sadly the director being what used to be known as a "Tin Hitler", i.e. someone promoted beyond their talent, will give you what suits the BBC not what suits the viewer.

When I was learning to use a Cine Camera, (yes it was that long ago) one of the golden rules involved camera stability. This was no doubt because of the technology is use at the time. Now the idiots have all thses new toys to play with, they simply HAVE to use them in order to justify their expense. No matter that it detracts from the viewers enjoyment of the show. I can almost hear the conversations on the gallery: "Viewers? What do they know about televison? They should leave it to us."

It reminds me of a visit I may to a not inexpensive restaurant. As we were leaving the Head Waiter asked me if I had enjoyed the meal. "Quite frankly, no not much."

"Then you should try educating your tastebuds sir." was his reposte. Needless to say It will be a longtime before I enter his premises again. He should perhaps have asked me what I didn't like intead of insulting me.

The BBC strictly crew is sadly beyond redemption. Such a pity because it USED to be such a great show, until it became under the grasp of someone with the mentality of a ten year old boy.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Here is the same couple's (Ballroom) Tango to shock horror Tango music. Juan D'Arienzo's "9 de Julio" I think it sounds like but an adaptation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPpVnOVhfPo

The cameraman is following the dancers rather than creating his own movement. Classic.

Here is a much earthier AT version of "9 de Julio" and that translates to a different dance style.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eXy6t7HjbgM

It is amazing how much better a dance can be if the dancers know the music well. 9 de Julio is a regular song at Milongas so I know it well and know what's coming up and chuck fast stuff in and slow it down.

I say that because all the music should come from the celebs own music collection. There would be enough variation.

haha that made me laugh re black and white - but clip made me feel old as I was there when it was filmed - Andrew is a great dancer love his ballroom and of course he is from Livepool :D did you notice the old come dancing clip with Ian and anton was embarrased to learn anton used to dance with Diane Smith who is on my fb and i slate him on there :blush: here is clip ian and anton from 2.18 onwards

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EeRxCS0tl-Q&list=UULZldY6ltDCuFxcSvOUTreA
  • scout2006scout2006 Posts: 7,084
    Forum Member

I think you mean the Director.
  • wazzyboywazzyboy Posts: 13,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sadly the director being what used to be known as a "Tin Hitler", i.e. someone promoted beyond their talent, will give you what suits the BBC not what suits the viewer.

When I was learning to use a Cine Camera, (yes it was that long ago) one of the golden rules involved camera stability. This was no doubt because of the technology is use at the time. Now the idiots have all thses new toys to play with, they simply HAVE to use them in order to justify their expense. No matter that it detracts from the viewers enjoyment of the show. I can almost hear the conversations on the gallery: "Viewers? What do they know about televison? They should leave it to us."

It reminds me of a visit I may to a not inexpensive restaurant. As we were leaving the Head Waiter asked me if I had enjoyed the meal. "Quite frankly, no not much."

"Then you should try educating your tastebuds sir." was his reposte. Needless to say It will be a longtime before I enter his premises again. He should perhaps have asked me what I didn't like intead of insulting me.

The BBC strictly crew is sadly beyond redemption. Such a pity because it USED to be such a great show, until it became under the grasp of someone with the mentality of a ten year old boy.

That does a disservice to many a child..in terms of their mentality I mean. .

I know a lad in the broadcasting union. Works for a small independent filming unit. They just got a jazzy new documentary camera. Might work on Strictly a treat.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bendymixer wrote: »
    haha that made me laugh re black and white - but clip made me feel old as I was there when it was filmed - Andrew is a great dancer love his ballroom and of course he is from Livepool :D did you notice the old come dancing clip with Ian and anton was embarrased to learn anton used to dance with Diane Smith who is on my fb and i slate him on there :blush: here is clip ian and anton from 2.18 onwards

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EeRxCS0tl-Q&list=UULZldY6ltDCuFxcSvOUTreA

Thanks. Good to see Anthon and Ian.

No Military Two Step.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks. Good to see Anthon and Ian.

No Military Two Step.

haha you should not have mentioned it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NBdJ08zlq5U
    two step at 2.22:D
  • Dr. ClawDr. Claw Posts: 7,375
    Forum Member
    i notice this on most US vs UK shows whether its this show, x factor or soaps.