Really silly question about chicken

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 734
Forum Member
✭✭
Hey everyone -

So I'm on a new healthier diet and I heard chicken was pretty good for you.

So I've got some chicken breast sliced from the supermarket and then left them in the fridge as I pulled a confused face as what to do with them.

Here's the pack:
http://i58.tinypic.com/20v1d06.jpg

They appear to be what you can eat cold, but I like the idea of them hot. By now you're all laughing, but what's the best idea for that? Microwave? Other?

Told you it was a silly question! :D

Comments

• culturemancultureman Posts: 11,700
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    To get to the other side.
  • CitySlickerCitySlicker Posts: 10,414
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes you can heat that up so long as you only do it once and eat whilst hot.

Pierce that pack's film cover a couple of times and microwave it high for a short time, don't let it dry out. Keeping it in that pack sealed but piercing it will help the moisture stay in so it doesn't dry out.
  • QT 3.14QT 3.14 Posts: 1,771
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You actually paid four squids for that rubbish?
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Hey everyone -

So I've got some chicken breast sliced from the supermarket and then left them in the fridge as I pulled a confused face as what to do with them.

Here's the pack:

They appear to be what you can eat cold, but I like the idea of them hot. By now you're all laughing, but what's the best idea for that? Microwave? Other?

QT 3.14 wrote: »
    I realise that ready cooked chicken is there for convenience but that is a good point about the price. Plain chicken breast at that.

Surely you could have got a whole cooked chicken for that price or less.

If you're sticking to this diet you might want to start buying packs of chicken breast and cook them yourself. You could then freeze them. Or freeze them before cooking.
    Or buy frozen.

Just in the long run it'll save you money.
    You can cook a chicken breast from frozen in the microwave in less than 15 minutes.
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Hey everyone -

Here's the pack:

As for the heating it depends what you want to do with it.
    If you just want to apply heat then you can put some pieces on a plate in the micowave for 30 secs.

If you want some color then a minute in a frying pan. You could also add some sauce.

Or under the grill.

Probably not worth preheating the oven for though.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 734
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Pierce that pack's film cover a couple of times and microwave it high for a short time, don't let it dry out. Keeping it in that pack sealed but piercing it will help the moisture stay in so it doesn't dry out.

Legendary! Many thanks!

And yes, I'll be getting a proper chicken (heh) in future. I'm just easing my way into eating better. Got a Halogen oven with the intent of cooking an actual chicken.
  • Frankie_LittleFrankie_Little Posts: 9,271
    Forum Member
    Don't forget to take the giblets out of your actual chicken! There are some very easy recipes online, just google health eating. Good luck :)
  • KennedyCKennedyC Posts: 1,289
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I believe that chicken legs are better for you than breast meat - less fat.
  • WolfsheadishWolfsheadish Posts: 10,400
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's a matter of opinion, but nothing about that chicken seems healthy to me :confused: (especially if you're going to heat it up).
  • HypnodiscHypnodisc Posts: 22,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I'm pretty sure that's not a microwaveable container.

Hope the OP is okay and hasn't blown up his kitchen or something. He never came back to the thread :D
  • QT 3.14QT 3.14 Posts: 1,771
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    KennedyC wrote: »

Who the hell told you that absolute rubbish?
  • burton07burton07 Posts: 10,869
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hey everyone -

Here's the pack:

I'm sorry OP, but if you don't know what to do with pre-packed, cooked chicken, then I don't think you should be living on your own or preparing your own food. Have you got someone to look after you?
  • daisydeedaisydee Posts: 39,393
    Forum Member
    burton07 wrote: »
    I'm sorry OP, but if you don't know what to do with pre-packed, cooked chicken, then I don't think you should be living on your own or preparing your own food. Have you got someone to look after you?

:D

Seriously though, I have always thought that heating already cooked chicken was a no-no, but reading the instructions on the pack is the best way of knowing what you can & can't do with it. it will be full of preservatives so not really that healthy.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    daisydee wrote: »
    :D

Seriously though, I have always thought that heating already cooked chicken was a no-no, but reading the instructions on the pack is the best way of knowing what you can & can't do with it. it will be full of preservatives so not really that healthy.

I wasn't joking!
  • molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    KennedyC wrote: »

Where did you read that ignore it completely !
  • Bex_123Bex_123 Posts: 10,783
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wasn't joking!

Aw, we've all got to start somewhere!

(Though admittedly not knowing how to deal with pre-cooked ready to eat chicken at age 42 is a bit extreme...)
  • Ellie666Ellie666 Posts: 2,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    both breasts and legs are low in fat but breasts are slightly lower, hence why they taste drier.
  • Misanthropy_83Misanthropy_83 Posts: 2,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    consider buying a george foreman lean mean fat reducing grilling machine (TM) as it siphons all the fat away from the meat into the drip tray below it is healthier for you than cooking sausages and burgers any other way
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    consider buying a george foreman lean mean fat reducing grilling machine (TM) as it siphons all the fat away from the meat into the drip tray below it is healthier for you than cooking sausages and burgers any other way

Yes, the OP can use it to re-heat his pre-packed cold sliced chicken. Under adult supervision of course.
  • walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,564
    Forum Member
    Ellie666 wrote: »
    both breasts and legs are low in fat but breasts are slightly lower, hence why they taste drier.

Chicken shouldn't taste dry at all if it's cooked properly.
  • Ellie666Ellie666 Posts: 2,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Chicken shouldn't taste dry at all if it's cooked properly.

i said "drier" not "dry" and for someone with the OP's cooking skills that will be a concern ;-)
  • walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,564
    Forum Member
    Ellie666 wrote: »
    i said "drier" not "dry" and for someone with the OP's cooking skills that will be a concern ;-)

A properly cooked chicken breast shouldn't be 'drier' in any sense.
  • 001_ATLANTIS001_ATLANTIS Posts: 2,068
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    QT 3.14 wrote: »

My thoughts exactly! For £4 you can get a whole fresh one which would taste infinitely better.
  • daisydeedaisydee Posts: 39,393
    Forum Member
    A properly cooked chicken breast shouldn't be 'drier' in any sense.

Just to add my four pennorth, I find that chicken legs are tastier and more moist than chicken breasts. Probably because they retain a little fat whereas chicken breasts generaly don't have any fat at all.

Oh, and Tesco do the same thing for 2 'squid'. :D
  • Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,525
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Are you sure that wasn't part of a Meal Deal or something OP?

£4 for that seems rather expensive!