Great board games

humanracerhumanracer Posts: 1,478
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Looking for something fun that you can play several times without getting bored.

Not interested in
1.Classics like Scrabble,Monopoly and Cluedo
2.Complicated games with instructions that are more like books.
3.Fantasy games with complicated fighting systems (ie roll six 6 to fight a dragon)
4.Complicated strategy games ie Risk
5.Games where you just roll a dice and move round the board.
6.Kids games ie Guess Who and Ghost Castle.

Just ordered "Journey through Europe" and "Stratego" (a childhood favourite)

anymore?

Comments

• peonpeon Posts: 1,671
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mouse trap
  • PictoPicto Posts: 24,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mousetrap - I still get excited when the contraption is set in motion.
  • RorschachRorschach Posts: 10,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well yes I know dozens and dozens of great board games, but you've rulled out pretty much all of them with your list :D

Smallworld is fantasy based, but it's a very simple set of rules with only a single die.

Gloom is a card game rather than a board game but is great fun for multiple plays.

The same goes for Family Business and Duck Hunt, two very similar card games where you try to kill off everyone else but in the first they are gangsters and in the second ducks.

Guillotine is another card game where you collect severed heads, quick to learn (about 4 very small pages of rules) but survives multiple plays.

Settlers of Catan and Carccassone are tile games but are revered around the world (well the board playing part of the world anyway) and no two games are ever alike (similar maybe, but not alike).

Dominion has also won loads of industry awards, it seems complicated to read but once you start playing it's very easy to pick up.

Oh and Fleeced staring Wallace and Gromit is great fun :D

For more "normal" fare, then The Logo Board Game passes the time, though not sure how much repeated play you'd get (it's a bit like Trivial Pursuit in that aspect in that eventually you're know all the answers).

PS - Risk complicated? :eek: :p

PPS - Where do you stand on the use of plastic figures? :D If they are not an instant no no then Zombies is great fun :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,720
    Forum Member
    Battleship
    Draughts
    Kerplunk
  • Watcher #1Watcher #1 Posts: 9,043
    Forum Member
    I'd suggest Carcasonne and Settlers as well. Brilliant games
  • johnnybgoode83johnnybgoode83 Posts: 8,908
    Forum Member
    Ah board games. Far more entertaining than video games. My favourites are monopoly and cluedo but you have said you aren't interested in them :p
  • Dr KimDr Kim Posts: 845
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not really a board game as such? i dont know but when i was younger i used to love playing Pokemon. I had loads of cards and i used to 'battle' with my neighbour and we used to win each others cards and stuff. Used to love Pokemon
  • Dawn SunDawn Sun Posts: 1,287
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • Sifter22Sifter22 Posts: 12,057
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Risk is the best
  • droogiefretdroogiefret Posts: 24,117
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Five fingered Severance probably meets your criteria.

Ticket To Ride would be OK.

My personal favourite atm is Ninjato
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You've kinda narrowed the options a touch there OP.
  • CBFreakCBFreak Posts: 28,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love the Atmosphere games. So amusing to humiliate others and everyone still laugh about it.

Game of Life is a another fun Board game. Raising family you don't want and trying to abandon the kids as quick as possible.

I also used to own Key to the Kingdom. That was a brilliant game.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jz5Vsb_N8hA&feature=related
  • terryjwterryjw Posts: 220
    Forum Member
    "The Really Nasty Horse Racing Game" great fun, the instructions initially look dificult but you can pick them up quickly.
  • annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    backgammon.
  • BrigonBrigon Posts: 2,864
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Trivial Pursuit (if you have other people of a similar intelligence to spar against)
    Game of Life (my personal favourite next to Monopoly)
    Settlers of Catan (I haven't played it but only heard very positive things)
    Pictionary (fun game for all)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,432
    Forum Member
    Risk, Diplomacy, Go, Chess and Backgammon are still great ways of losing track of a few hours
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    Dr Kim wrote: »
    Not really a board game as such? i dont know but when i was younger i used to love playing Pokemon. I had loads of cards and i used to 'battle' with my neighbour and we used to win each others cards and stuff. Used to love Pokemon

Oh I played it as well. I was obsessed! I had the toys, cards and the video games. Clocked up over 200 hours on the Yellow version :D
  • PankrationPankration Posts: 555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sifter22 wrote: »
    Risk is the best

Quoted for posterity.
  • ParleyParley Posts: 243
    Forum Member
    Right. Try these:

Careers
    Escape from Colditz
    Dark Tower(my personal favourite)
  • tealadytealady Posts: 26,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Blokus
    Riotous Applause
    Jungle Speed (more of a card game though)
    Fibonacci
    Cranium
    Perplexcity
  • humanracerhumanracer Posts: 1,478
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I forgot to mention that it is just me and my girlfriend so it has to be something suited for 2 players ideally. And doesn't Dark Tower cost a fortune now?

I remember Dungeonequest. That was a good game apart from the fighting parts.
  • RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    The cheapest, oldest, simplest and most fun we ever played as kids (and adults!) was Mousie Mousie. Great fun.

Old one.

New one.
  • phylo_roadkingphylo_roadking Posts: 21,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Over the years I've played dozens of board games, being a wargamer in my youth....from the very simplest right up to something like SPI's WestWall...that would have taken the school assembly hall to lay out and use if all its modules for a reconstruction of late 1944 had been used at once!

I love Risk...far better than Diplomacy...and my all-time favourite "wargame"-style board game was SPI's Fulda Gap World War Three-based game...but THE simplest and best "strategy" game I've ever come across, one that STILL amazes mates when they play it for the first time...is one played on a "board" no bigger than an A4 sheet of paper, and that once upon a time cost me a whopping £4...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ogre_(game)
  • tealadytealady Posts: 26,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Broken link in #24
    Ogre
  • Watcher #1Watcher #1 Posts: 9,043
    Forum Member
    love Risk...far better than Diplomacy...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ogre_(game)

Ogre is great - I have a copy in the loft. But Diplomacy is to Risk as Poker is to Snap. Far more skill needed :p