Options

" the yellow dog project" anyone heard of it?

OLD HIPPY GUYOLD HIPPY GUY Posts: 28,199
Forum Member
✭✭✭
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10152543990665481&set=a.10150421188360481.625040.611860480&type=1&relevant_count=13

Basically it's a campaign to encourage people who know their dog 'needs some space' for any number of reasons, like, it doesn't like being stroked, or it's not great with kids or other dogs, it's a bit of a fighter, or is just ill or nervous or recovering from an operation, or it's just not a good idea to approach him/ her, then the owners tie a yellow ribbon or something yellow to the lead or to the dog itself as a warning to others not to approach it,

I think it's a great idea and may help to prevent 'incidents' but it needs more publicity,

Comments

• Options
    molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree but unless there is enormous publicity I can't see it helping much. And off lead dogs can't see colour anyway so they will still be a problem.
  • Options
    Aarghawasp!Aarghawasp! Posts: 6,205
    Forum Member
    Shared. A good idea if it can get enough publicity to alert the general public.
  • Options
    MuzeMuze Posts: 2,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yep, it's doing the rounds on forums and FB.

Don't see it working tbh, half the people I meet have very little control over their off lead dogs so probably cannot call them away in time.

Not only that but some people just don't care, even when my older day was recovering for major surgery and had her cone of shame on and was half shaved, some idiot still let his dog come over :mad:
  • Options
    ShrikeShrike Posts: 16,608
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why yellow? I'dve thought red would be more of a 'back off' message.
  • Options
    StressMonkeyStressMonkey Posts: 13,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Shrike wrote: »
    Why yellow? I'dve thought red would be more of a 'back off' message.

Exactly - I think most people would associate yellow with homecomings rather than 'leave me alone'.

A brightly coloured coat like PAT dogs and the like wear might be better, with perhaps a hand in a circle with a line through? Could make some money manufacturing them too:D

So that's adults who are close enough to see the sign dealt with - how do we deal with off lead dogs and small children :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well as I have said before dogs cannot understand these things so not only does the owner need to see it, understand it, they then need to recall their dog too, all in the seconds it can take for an off lead dog to get to the dog with the ribbon, can't see it working too well with the dogs and owners I often encounter.

I have seen horses with red ribbons on their tails does that denote anything ?
  • Options
    StressMonkeyStressMonkey Posts: 13,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    molliepops wrote: »
    Well as I have said before dogs cannot understand these things so not only does the owner need to see it, understand it, they then need to recall their dog too, all in the seconds it can take for an off lead dog to get to the dog with the ribbon, can't see it working too well with the dogs and owners I often encounter.

I have seen horses with red ribbons on their tails does that denote anything ?

Usually means it kicks.

Or it wants to look pretty.:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ah thank you I did wonder, thought at first it was the pretty option but after thinking about it a bit I wasn't so sure LOL
  • Options
    xdowxdow Posts: 2,388
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's a good idea though.

in practice however until it's widely known and people can teach their dogs decent recall, it's not doing to do much good.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,192
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have just shared it on Facebook and Twitter. A good idea would be asking some high profile animal lovers with lots of followers to Retweet or share on Facebook.
  • Options
    JanuaryMinstrelJanuaryMinstrel Posts: 24
    Forum Member
    I think it's a good idea. My dog is very nasty around other dogs, and sometimes people. If there were something he could wear to warn people that he's a bit vicious it would be really helpful.

He's only little, so we get a lot of children who try and fuss him and it upsets them when he starts barking and growling at them :(
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 507
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think it's a good idea. My dog is very nasty around other dogs, and sometimes people. If there were something he could wear to warn people that he's a bit vicious it would be really helpful.

He's only little, so we get a lot of children who try and fuss him and it upsets them when he starts barking and growling at them :(

Same here, my dog is extremely unpredictable around other dogs and gets herself into a frenzy at times and people find it funny watching her but she can be lethal, We muzzle her to have people laughing and telling us we're cruel because she couldnt do much harm :rolleyes:

I think its a good idea but it needs to be on TV and in the media for it to take off properly, doing the rounds on facebook wont do much IMO.