Options

Bank E-mail Scam

swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,122
Forum Member
✭✭✭✭
Beware........there's a scam e-mail doing the rounds purporting to be from Lloyds TSB

I got one overnight and was immediately wary because I don't have a Lloyds account !

On closer inspections the word Lloyds in the text was spelt 'L1oyds', ie with a 'one' instead of the second L

the e-mail includes a link and invites you click on it and input your account details and password..........:o

Comments

• Options
    Frankie_LittleFrankie_Little Posts: 9,271
    Forum Member
    I get these all the time, usually purporting to be from HSBC or Santander. I just delete them. I hope no one is daft enough to click the link.
  • Options
    Deb ArkleDeb Arkle Posts: 12,584
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I always forward then to the relevant bank - if you google the bank's name and 'phishing' you'll get the relevant email address. Lloyds is emailscams@lloydsbanking.com.

ETA - an extra giveaway is that they are no longer Lloyds TSB, they are just Lloyds now!
  • Options
    SJ_MentalSJ_Mental Posts: 16,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    One of my accounts is heavily spammed, I get banks, Paypal and apple ID fakes almost daily.
  • Options
    Jean-FrancoisJean-Francois Posts: 2,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Deb Arkle wrote: »
    I always forward then to the relevant bank - if you google the bank's name and 'phishing' you'll get the relevant email address. Lloyds is emailscams@lloydsbanking.com.

I used to do this, but I gave up, they still come once or twice per week, it's fairly obvious that the banks phishing/fraud departments can't do much about stopping them.
    I just delete them now, as soon as I see them.
  • Options
    Tawn47Tawn47 Posts: 61
    Forum Member
    These are EXTREMELY common. I get at least 1 or 2 every fortnight minimum.

Remember if you didn't expect the email, be very wary and don't click links or reply (unless you know it is safe).

This is basic internet-common-sense and everyone should be made aware of phishing.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I used to do this, but I gave up, they still come once or twice per week, it's fairly obvious that the banks phishing/fraud departments can't do much about stopping them.
    I just delete them now, as soon as I see them.
    We no, they can't stop them - but they can alert their customers, and perhaps prevent someone being ripped off.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SJ_Mental wrote: »
    One of my accounts is heavily spammed, I get banks, Paypal and apple ID fakes almost daily.

Wow. You must have `Lots of Money` Just think of yourself being lucky, unlike all those poor sods with nowt.::D
  • Options
    TrollHunterTrollHunter Posts: 12,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    swingaleg wrote: »
    the e-mail includes a link and invites you click on it and input your account details and password..........:o

Would ANYONE enter these details based on the instructions from an email?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36,630
    Forum Member
    Beware........there's a scam e-mail doing the rounds purporting to be from Lloyds TSB

I got one overnight and was immediately wary because I don't have a Lloyds account !

On closer inspections the word Lloyds in the text was spelt 'L1oyds', ie with a 'one' instead of the second L

Nothing new, been going on for over ten years and is well known about.

Unfortunately some people do still fall for it, despite it having been all over the press and having been shown on shows such as Watchdog many times. There are many variants too, including for Paypal and even Facebook and Ebay.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Deb Arkle wrote: »
    We no, they can't stop them - but they can alert their customers, and perhaps prevent someone being ripped off.

I don't know if you meant 'well no, they can't' or 'we know they can't', but I digress, I had assumed that the fraud departments worked with the police, to try and trace where the fraudulent emails emanated from.
    Apparently they don't, or can't do that, as you stated.
    Maybe if they try to alert their customers, those customers think that it's just another phishing email expedition!
  • Options
    silversoxsilversox Posts: 5,204
    Forum Member
    I've always been very wary of anything with a zip file as well. Tho, the worst from a personal point of view is where all my contacts were hacked and sent an email, e.g. 'Help, friend! I've been mugged in Manilla/Corphu/Benidorm and have lost everything. Please send money to .................... '! This happened to me twice when I was with BT and ALL of my contacts and folders were stolen leaving me with absolutely nothing.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yes they WOULD, and they do, John Q. Public can sometimes be as dumb as all get-out.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't know if you meant 'well no, they can't' or 'we know they can't', but I digress, I had assumed that the fraud departments worked with the police, to try and trace where the fraudulent emails emanated from.
    Apparently they don't, or can't do that, as you stated.
    Maybe if they try to alert their customers, those customers think that it's just another phishing email expedition!
    Ha ha sorry - yes, I meant "Well no" but was a couple of 'L's short of a sentence! Oops! :D
  • Options
    flowerpowaflowerpowa Posts: 24,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I get these all the time, usually purporting to be from HSBC or Santander. I just delete them. I hope no one is daft enough to click the link.

There will always be one!:o
  • Options
    barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

No sh1t Sherlock. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    barbeler wrote: »
    No sh1t Sherlock. :D

Yeah........I wasn't born yesterday, it takes a lot to fool me !

:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    flowerpowa wrote: »
    There will always be one!:o

Some people must do.........same as some people must fall for all those telephone scam calls

If no one fell for it they'd stop doing it........
  • Options
    grumpyscotgrumpyscot Posts: 11,354
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've had them from every bank in the UK - including the one I bank and worked with. I use Hotmail so simply tag them as "Phishing Scam" and let Hotmail block them.

Lately, I've had some from the FBI claiming that I'm due a lot of money in someone's will. Just send $500 to cover Administration.................

The giveaway is always that your bank will head up the e-mail with your name - i.e. Dear Mr Smith. Scams don't do this as they don't actually know your correct name.

But the rule of thumb is always: If you're not expecting an e-mail, trash it without opening it and defo NEVER open an attachment within it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,279
    Forum Member
    Of course they do.

Click
  • Options
    The 12th DoctorThe 12th Doctor Posts: 4,338
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I cannot believe there's anyone these days who needs telling to avoid these things. Anyone stupid enough to fall for it deserves it.
  • Options
    shaggy_xshaggy_x Posts: 3,599
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I cannot believe there's anyone these days who needs telling to avoid these things. Anyone stupid enough to fall for it deserves it.

The elderly are often taken in with this sort of thing so your statement is a little unfair.

Also, what annoys me even more than these emails is some banks or other genuine companies calling you up for whatever reason but want you to verify your identity ???? Ffs you called me up so you know who I am.

Best one was a few years back some debt collector company affiliated with the inland revenue called me up and said they needed to tell me something. Can I please verify my name , address date of birth etc

I told them to eff off . If they have something they need to tell me they can write to me
  • Options
    GageGage Posts: 1,253
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    shaggy_x wrote: »
    The elderly are often taken in with this sort of thing so your statement is a little unfair.

Also, what annoys me even more than these emails is some banks or other genuine companies calling you up for whatever reason but want you to verify your identity ???? Ffs you called me up so you know who I am.

Best one was a few years back some debt collector company affiliated with the inland revenue called me up and said they needed to tell me something. Can I please verify my name , address date of birth etc

I told them to eff off . If they have something they need to tell me they can write to me

This is understandable as anyone could have potentially picked up your phone, and pretended to be you.
  • Options
    hardeephardeep Posts: 2,330
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    shaggy_x wrote: »

This is an interesting point.

We've seen any number of stories of elderly people getting scammed by door to salesmen, cowboy builders etc. Clearly in most cases it due to minds being less sharp as we get older. So although most of us are now fully aware of phishing scams I wonder how'd we respond in when we're in our 70s or older - especially in the light rising levels of dementia? I suspect in 20/30 years we may see a sudden rise in successful scams when the "internet" generation reach their 70s

On a positive note there's a good chance we won't remember our passwords anyway;-)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gage wrote: »
    This is understandable as anyone could have potentially picked up your phone, and pretended to be you.

Well yes but there are plenty of scammers calling up these days so it helps to stay alert and not give out personal details to some cold caller.

If they really want to tell ne something they can write.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hardeep wrote: »
    This is an interesting point.

We've seen any number of stories of elderly people getting scammed by door to salesmen, cowboy builders etc. Clearly in most cases it due to minds being less sharp as we get older. So although most of us are now fully aware of phishing scams I wonder how'd we respond in when we're in our 70s or older - especially in the light rising levels of dementia? I suspect in 20/30 years we may see a sudden rise in successful scams when the "internet" generation reach their 70s

On a positive note there's a good chance we won't remember our passwords anyway;-)

:) whilst most readers of this forum are IT literate enough not to be taken in, for evey 10 of us youvcan guarantee there is one who will be taken in by all this.