Changes to the results show

SallyforthSallyforth Posts: 7,404
Forum Member
Water cooler conversation:

How about ditching the pro number with (usually at least borderline lousy) live guest act and replacing it with
either

1) Reprise of judges' fave dance from the main show (a la DWTS)

OR

2) Last week's eliminated couple gets to do the dance they would have done if still competing (came up because of Thom's dear departed paso I think :D)

Comments

• mklassmklass Posts: 3,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No.................................... I don't like that idea sorry!, I like the pro's dance and the mix of guest singers,.....
  • fern3fern3 Posts: 1,988
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I definitely like the idea of the reprise of the Judges' favourite. But I suppose they'd have to film it much earlier in the day to allow for wardrobe and makeup etc.

Agree, the pro dances are getting worse. Why not go back to showing us how proper ballroom dancing should be done? Nobody needs a barn dance.
  • lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    fern3 wrote: »
    I definitely like the idea of the reprise of the Judges' favourite. But I suppose they'd have to film it much earlier in the day to allow for wardrobe and makeup etc.

Agree, the pro dances are getting worse. Why not go back to showing us how proper ballroom dancing should be done? Nobody needs a barn dance.

I suspect that of the ten million viewers, the majority would like a bit of fun like the barn dance and few would want a very formal 'proper' demonstration dance. Just look at how many serious ballroom dancing programmes there are on mainstream TV channel - zero.
  • pasodabblepasodabble Posts: 5,865
    Forum Member
    The judges' favourite won't work on Strictly because of the dance-off. On DWTS there's no dance-off, thus over there the judges do not have to save their favourite should they end up in the bottom 2. Imagine the judges choosing a favourite dance and raving about it, and later the dance ends up being performed a third time in the dance-off?
  • wazzyboywazzyboy Posts: 13,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    pasodabble wrote: »
    The judges' favourite won't work on Strictly because of the dance-off. On DWTS there's no dance-off, thus over there the judges do not have to save their favourite should they end up in the bottom 2. Imagine the judges choosing a favourite dance and raving about it, and later the dance ends up being performed a third time in the dance-off?

Surely a reprised dancer getting eliminated sans dance off is little better. I suspect they know the voting pattern enough to know what dance to choose by the time it is reprised.
  • jake lylejake lyle Posts: 6,146
    Forum Member
    No thanks
  • ads84ads84 Posts: 7,332
    Forum Member
    I'm sorry but I love the pro dances!
    The musical guests I could do without, unless the quality of them improve (Culture Club - seriously..?)
  • jtnorthjtnorth Posts: 5,081
    Forum Member
    I love the pros dancing on the results show. It's my favourite thing about the results show.

I also think that having the judges pick someone out as their favourite dance would just make certain people look even more 'teachers' pet' than they do anyway.
  • Pet MonkeyPet Monkey Posts: 11,923
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wouldn't mind if they got rid of Lens' Lens and spent longer talking to the saved contestants and Pros instead
  • pothuthicpothuthic Posts: 47,103
    Forum Member
    I like the eliminated contestant idea
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jtnorth wrote: »
    I love the pros dancing on the results show. It's my favourite thing about the results show.

I also think that having the judges pick someone out as their favourite dance would just make certain people look even more 'teachers' pet' than they do anyway.

Since a different couple seems to get chosen most weeks I doubt that. They don' t choose the highest scorer every time, either.
  • thenetworkbabethenetworkbabe Posts: 45,624
    Forum Member
    pothuthic wrote: »
    I like the eliminated contestant idea

Can't see it working. if they deserrved to go, it ill be a case of seeing again someone we were pleased to see go finally. If they perfom something well, it will make the point they should not have gone, and undermine the credibility of the show. Imagine Ali Bastian coming back in the final , and outperfoming both finalists .Or some of the earlier shock departures coming back and doing the best dance of the week.
  • Serenity.Serenity. Posts: 262
    Forum Member
    I'd like to see Len's Lens extended slightly and drop the musical guest slot.
    I love the pro dances and think they should be kept. The barn dance probably wouldn't have been everyone's cup of tea but it's nice to see different styles of dance and I would encourage them to do more styles we don't usually see. As well as doing all the classic styles of dance too, obviously.
  • DeltaBluesDeltaBlues Posts: 4,256
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Now that Bruce doesn't have to get home for his cocoa and slippers, I don't see why they can't revert to a live results show later on Saturday night, which would knock the stupid spoilers on the head.
  • SallyforthSallyforth Posts: 7,404
    Forum Member
    Can't see it working. if they deserrved to go, it ill be a case of seeing again someone we were pleased to see go finally. If they perfom something well, it will make the point they should not have gone, and undermine the credibility of the show. Imagine Ali Bastian coming back in the final , and outperfoming both finalists .Or some of the earlier shock departures coming back and doing the best dance of the week.

Shake things up eh? ;-)
  • ElsaElsa Posts: 3,157
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The pro dances are my favourite part of Strictly.
  • SallyforthSallyforth Posts: 7,404
    Forum Member
    Elsa wrote: »
    The pro dances are my favourite part of Strictly.

Don't think pro dances are a problem per se, but some of them are a bit naff IMO, including some of the ones they do with guests.
  • Mystical123Mystical123 Posts: 15,820
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No thanks, the pros get precious little time to do decent dances as it is. The pro number to the guest artist, however terrible the singer is, are the closest to a pure ballroom or Latin pro dance we get nowadays!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No thanks, the pros get precious little time to do decent dances as it is. The pro number to the guest artist, however terrible the singer is, are the closest to a pure ballroom or Latin pro dance we get nowadays!

Often the act overshadows the dancers (unless you are Kevin and throw yourself about with great abandon to a slow song :D)
  • scarlottiscarlotti Posts: 1,520
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DeltaBlues wrote: »
    Now that Bruce doesn't have to get home for his cocoa and slippers, I don't see why they can't revert to a live results show later on Saturday night, which would knock the stupid spoilers on the head.

Len and Bruno fly out to Los Angeles to do Dancing With the Stars after the show so Bruce's retirement makes no difference.

And with a 9-10m audience on a Sunday night for the Results Show it seems unlikely the BBC would revert back to a Saturday night show.

Plus.... the spoiler thread on here is great!!!!
  • Tall PaulTall Paul Posts: 8,786
    Forum Member
    To extend the results show a bit and have the judges favourite dance. :D
  • holly berryholly berry Posts: 14,287
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Strictly isn't really a dance competition it's an über-camp light entertainment show. If we had a judges' favourite then why not have a 'viewers' favourite'? It would make more sense. The majority of people watching Strictly aren't interested in how technically perfect the dances are otherwise there would still be a television audience for proper ballroom competitions and there isn't or rather not one large enough to make it viable. That's why pros often ignore the rules and seek to entertain viewers. They understand what the show is about. That's why any attempt to take dance more seriously on the main show will not work. ITT might be a more suitable venue for more exploration as demonstrated by an earlier edition this week when the pros discussed dance steps, core, etc.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Strictly isn't really a dance competition it's an über-camp light entertainment show. If we had a judges' favourite then why not have a 'viewers' favourite'? It would make more sense. The majority of people watching Strictly aren't interested in how technically perfect the dances are otherwise there would still be a television audience for proper ballroom competitions and there isn't or rather not one large enough to make it viable. That's why pros often ignore the rules and seek to entertain viewers. They understand what the show is about. That's why any attempt to take dance more seriously on the main show will not work. ITT might be a more suitable venue for more exploration as demonstrated by an earlier edition this week when the pros discussed dance steps, core, etc.

It is not the technical best dance that makes judges choice every week on DWTS.
  • plinkiplonkplinkiplonk Posts: 3,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The one thing I am missing from earlier series is the occasional professional guest. I don't see why we cannot have guest performances from dancers that are top of their field, i.e. the current 10 dance world champions, or the formation world champions or something along those lines, just to show how it's really done...:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    On DWTS they used to have kids doing Ballroom and Latin on every week, "Dancing with the Tinies" I used to call it. And blinking good they were too.