"Thank you" ideas for boyfriend

Dr. LinusDr. Linus Posts: 6,445
Forum Member
Hi all,

Looking for some advice for a way to make my boyfriend feel special and thank him for being there for me. I've had major life-saving surgery recently and was discharged from hospital last week. I'm still pretty much bed-ridden at home but hopefully not for much longer. My boyfriend, though, has been my absolute rock - he was there day and night throughout my hospital stay, going without sleep for days on end so he could be there for me, buying me all sorts of things to cheer me up and now making all my meals, taking me to the doctor every day, and phoning my parents all the time to let them know I'm okay along with a lot of other things.

So frankly I think he deserves a thank you, in a big way. We've been together for years and I never doubted his commitment but this truly proves it's the real deal and I want to do something to return the love. But as I'm stuck in my bedroom for the most part most ideas are beyond my capabilities. I could ask someone else to pick up a gift for me but anything beyond that would be asking too much of whoever I ask really as most of my friends and family live an hour away. Is there anything I can do for him within the comfort of my own home? I do have a few hours away from him most days so I can do stuff in secret. Before anyone suggests a marriage proposal, way ahead of you on that one, that's coming next summer (I'm a guy too). Any quick, easy ideas for a treat would be very helpful, thanks! :)

Comments

• chenkschenks Posts: 13,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dr. Linus wrote: »
    Is there anything I can do for him within the comfort of my own home?)

i'm sure there's one obvious answer......
  • Summer BreezeSummer Breeze Posts: 4,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would go for simple things like a nice card with some wonderful words in it straight from your heart.
    Also a 'homemade' gift that you have spent time on yourself making may go down well.
    Putting your own time and effort in to something rather than buying something may speak volumes.
  • Dr. LinusDr. Linus Posts: 6,445
    Forum Member
    chenks wrote: »
    i'm sure there's one obvious answer......

Not quite so obvious an answer considering I'm recovering from surgery!
  • jack_blairjack_blair Posts: 17,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dr. Linus wrote: »
    Hi all,

Looking for some advice for a way to make my boyfriend feel special and thank him for being there for me.

Friend of mine bought a star for his wife for 1st anniversary . other than that you could arrange to go and see a show in London when you are better !
  • Dr. LinusDr. Linus Posts: 6,445
    Forum Member
    I would go for simple things like a nice card with some wonderful words in it straight from your heart.
    Also a 'homemade' gift that you have spent time on yourself making may go down well.
    Putting your own time and effort in to something rather than buying something may speak volumes.

Thanks, Summer Breeze. Might do something like that, it's just thinking of what to make! :)
    jack_blair wrote: »
    Friend of mine bought a star for his wife for 1st anniversary . other than that you could arrange to go and see a show in London when you are better !

Thanks, that's actually a good idea as we go to see a show in London once a year. I could pay for a bonus trip for Christmas perhaps, but I'd have to see about money. Thanks though!
  • ElanorElanor Posts: 13,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think the card with some really honest, heartfelt words as Summer Breeze suggested is the best thing. Anyone can whip out a credit card and order flowers, or book a theatre trip or a hotel stay. Only one person can write the exact words that you're feeling, really say the things you want to say. It'll mean far more to him than STUFF.
  • hurrikane313hurrikane313 Posts: 2,265
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Go with something from the heart, I personally would take the card idea and take it further by writing a heart felt letter explaining how you feel about him, and everything he has done for you. I know you probably tell him all the time, but it really does fill people with joy when someone they love takes the time to write down their feelings for them.
  • MaksonMakson Posts: 30,484
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The letter idea is really nice, and perhaps if you could stick it into a small token so he gets an extra surprise when he opens the token and sees the letter....maybe a cd or a computer game.
    Alternatively, you could make a a little film from your bed with a camera phone basically vocalising what would have been on the letter, and then perhaps upload it to his facebook wall....who knows, it might even go viral!
    Though if he's a private person he mightn't like that kind of fuss and attention.
  • mustard99mustard99 Posts: 2,244
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The best gift you can give him is to rest, recover and get your health back.

When you are well, take him somewhere that has meaning for you both. A surprise holiday, a restaurant, or just get in a dvd that you both love along with your favourite takeaway.

I can understand that you are probably bored stiff but you don't need to rush to say thank you. Doesn't look like he is going anywhere. How lucky are you?

I wish you a swift recovery.
  • abigail1234abigail1234 Posts: 1,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mustard99 wrote: »
    The best gift you can give him is to rest, recover and get your health back.

When you are well, take him somewhere that has meaning for you both. A surprise holiday, a restaurant, or just get in a dvd that you both love along with your favourite takeaway.

I can understand that you are probably bored stiff but you don't need to rush to say thank you. Doesn't look like he is going anywhere. How lucky are you?

I wish you a swift recovery.

I think planning a trip away together or suchlike is a great idea and of course resting and recovering is the best gift of all. But it's wonderful to thank someone in written words too - something to be treasured. Words are powerful. Now is best!

I love the moonpig designs which you can personalise and upload photos to if appropriate. Don't be "sensible" - go with your feelings and put it in writing

http://www.moonpig.com/uk/Gallery?sf1=ProductCategory&sv1=Cards&sf2=Keyword&sv2=thank+you&pn=7&productNo=TN154
  • WeeblesWobbleWeeblesWobble Posts: 1,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Give him a blow job..
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,899
    Forum Member
    Perhaps you can tell a friend/family member to get a gift that he would like?

Or wait until you have fully recovered so you can cook a special dinner for him (or even take him out for dinner)?

Or take him on a day out?

Or get freaky with him once you have recovered?