whats your favourite conspiracy theory ?

Comments

• howardlhowardl Posts: 5,120
    Forum Member
    Dr David Kelly didn't commit suicide.
  • AOTBAOTB Posts: 9,708
    Forum Member
    howardl wrote: »

I don't buy into the vast majority of conspiracy theories but I actually think this one is genuinely as suspicious as hell.
  • stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    howardl wrote: »

I dunno, I tend to think he did, but that just makes the truth even nastier- that a decent man was driven to suicide by a government that cared more about spin, PR and launching a war than they did about human life.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,510
    Forum Member
    1966 he was meant to have died. All the clues were on the Abby Road and Sgt Pepper albums. Walking out of step with the others and with bare feet across the zebra crossing. a hand above only his head on the Sgt Pepper cover and his flowers in the shape of a bass guitar.

Im not much of a ConspiracyTheorist, but I find it hard to believe that one half of last centuries greatest songwriters went on to write Frog Chorus
  • chimpsy23chimpsy23 Posts: 196
    Forum Member
    Project bluebeam
  • ChristopherJChristopherJ Posts: 976
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    stoatie wrote: »
    “The main thing that I learned about conspiracy theory, is that conspiracy theorists believe in a conspiracy because that is more comforting. The truth of the world is that it is actually chaotic. The truth is that it is not The Iluminati, or The Jewish Banking Conspiracy, or the Gray Alien Theory. The truth is far more frightening - Nobody is in control. The world is rudderless.”

Alan Moore knows the score.

CTs need their beliefs more than they need the facts.
  • riceutenriceuten Posts: 5,876
    Forum Member
    Flat Matt wrote: »
    To be honest, I wouldn't rule anything out. Who knows what is possible in this unexplored and unexplained universe we inhabit?
    I'm not sure about the physics and resources needed for FTL travel
  • riceutenriceuten Posts: 5,876
    Forum Member
    AOTB wrote: »
    I don't buy into the vast majority of conspiracy theories but I actually think this one is genuinely as suspicious as hell.
    Yup, although the oft quoted book about him by Norman Baker blames the Iraqi government, which I don't believe for 20 seconds. Much more likely to be something closer to home
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CTs need their beliefs more than they need the facts.

I was a proper CTer when I was younger and doing tons of drugs (back when you had to hunt this stuff down on muffled ninth-generation tape copies of lectures, and imported books and pamphlets, not like these youngsters today have it with their internets and stuff), and I tell you, real life is FAR scarier than the pretendy paranoia ever was.
  • KJ44KJ44 Posts: 38,093
    Forum Member
    I was a proper CTer when I was younger and doing tons of drugs (back when you had to hunt this stuff down on muffled ninth-generation tape copies of lectures, and imported books and pamphlets, not like these youngsters today have it with their internets and stuff), and I tell you, real life is FAR scarier than the pretendy paranoia ever was.

I'm reading Rainbows End by Vernor Vinge again, and YGBM is a well scary concept.
  • BungitinBungitin Posts: 5,356
    Forum Member
    The secret DS forum.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    KJ44 wrote: »
    I'm reading Rainbows End by Vernor Vinge again, and YGBM is a well scary concept.

Kind of off-topic- the only Vinge I've read is A Fire Upon The Deep, but that was really good. Had a genuinely original and clever take on what intelligent alien life might be like if it was pack-based rather than individualistic.
    Forum Member
    Bungitin wrote: »
    The secret DS forum.

Sometime in the last year, I started a thread that jokingly alluded to such a thing. It turned into the most immense car crash I've ever seen on here. :o
  • Terry WigonTerry Wigon Posts: 6,831
    Forum Member
    Paul Mc Cartney dying in a car crash in 1966 and being replaced subsequently by a series of decoys and sound-alikes. The 'clues' to his demise are very thoughtfully, yet cryptically, provided on the covers of subsequent Beatles albums. I would say that's a rather odd thing to do if they wanted to cover up his 'death' and keep it quiet.

Other 'clues' include him being at least two inches taller in 1967 than in 1966 and his eye colour has changed from brown to green. Here is some of the 'evidence'. http://digilander.libero.it/jamespaul/fc1.html :o:p

His current doppleganger is some old woman in a dodgy maroon wig. :D
    Forum Member
    Kind of off-topic- the only Vinge I've read is A Fire Upon The Deep, but that was really good. Had a genuinely original and clever take on what intelligent alien life might be like if it was pack-based rather than individualistic.

Great, so you're prepared. Remember Pham Nuwen?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Deepness_in_the_Sky <-<< DO NOT CLICK

A Deepness in the Sky is a Hugo Award–winning[1] science fiction novel by Vernor Vinge. Published in 1999, the novel is a loose prequel (set twenty thousand years earlier) to his earlier novel A Fire Upon the Deep (1992).

I'm having a Vinge binge. ;-) and I read it again last week. Please, please, read it, it's utterly brilliant.
  • MeercamMeercam Posts: 1,020
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Facepalm wrote: »
    I believe there's some truth in conspiracy theories such as Roswell and JFK.

Roswell has been done to death and no tangible evidence has ever been produced.
    The most likely conspiracy was the USA covering up their covert spying activities by initially claiming a UFO crash and then having to backtrack when they realised the implications of such an event.
  • OhWhenTheSaintsOhWhenTheSaints Posts: 12,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That Elizabeth I was a man in drag.

Though as a novelty I read last night a pretty sound theory that Andy's mum in Toy Story is in fact Jessie's previous owner Emily! :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    KJ44 wrote: »
    Great, so you're prepared. Remember Pham Nuwen?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Deepness_in_the_Sky <-<< DO NOT CLICK

A Deepness in the Sky is a Hugo Award–winning[1] science fiction novel by Vernor Vinge. Published in 1999, the novel is a loose prequel (set twenty thousand years earlier) to his earlier novel A Fire Upon the Deep (1992).

I'm having a Vinge binge. ;-) and I read it again last week. Please, please, read it, it's utterly brilliant.

It's on my to-read pile. It's a big pile, though. SO MUCH GOOD SF, and now I'm in my 40s I'm having to come to terms with the fact that I may not actually be able to read every great book that's ever been written. If people would just stop writing cool shit for a few years, then maybe I could catch up.
  • misslibertinemisslibertine Posts: 14,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Though as a novelty I read last night a pretty sound theory that Andy's mum in Toy Story is in fact Jessie's previous owner Emily! :D

I saw that on Facebook a few days ago. Only having seen the first Toy Story film once when I was about 5, it meant nothing to me. The friend that I passed it on to had her mind blown though :D
  • Miss XYZMiss XYZ Posts: 14,023
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I saw that on Facebook a few days ago. Only having seen the first Toy Story film once when I was about 5, it meant nothing to me. The friend that I passed it on to had her mind blown though :D

It does make you wonder if there's any truth to it! :D

For anyone who hasn't seen it:

http://jonnegroni.com/2014/02/24/the-true-identity-of-andys-mom-in-toy-story-will-blow-your-mind/
  • Paradise_LostParadise_Lost Posts: 6,454
    Forum Member
    Randy Quaid > David Icke :p
  • towerstowers Posts: 12,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Facepalm wrote: »
    I was addressing the more mainstream conspiracy theories that are popular on the internet, such as the 9/11 one. Ironically, most conspiracy theorists say they are questioning facts, but blindly accept conspiracy theories without question even if they defy logic and common sense. Loose Change says there was no wreckage at the pentagon? Ok, I'll believe that! Even though a quick Google image search would completely debunk that claim...

I believe there's some truth in conspiracy theories such as Roswell and JFK. That's the 1%, that include evidence. I agree- the world is a corrupt place. Some things are hid from us. But my argument was with regards to the more mainstream theories (9/11, global warming, moon landing) on the internet, where it's just people trying to look different and/or intelligent by blindly following these theories, which is ironic because they preach on about questioning things. Perhaps they should question the so-called evidence these conspiracy theories have...

Hardly any wreckage or bodies? Did you see that on Loose Change? Because the film deliberately used photos that seemingly showed no wreckage at the pentagon but ignored nearly every other photo that shows wreckage surrounding the pentagon. Of which, there are LOADS. Just google image it and the whole "no wreckage" thing falls apart instantly...

Hundreds of people cleared up the wreckage and dead bodies. Dozens of witnesses saw the plane crash into the pentagon. Air traffic control saw the plane on their radar. Light poles 20 feet apart were knocked over by the planes of the wing. A 9/11 truther would say in response to this: "These witnesses are in on it/part of the conspiracy." You talk about common sense, but do you realise how many people would be involved in the cover-up of 9/11? There'd be:

- Politicians within the US government, including the President
    - The hundreds of eye witnesses, who apparently saw a plane hit the pentagon; helped to clear up wreckage and saw bodies at the site of the crash. According to the 9/11 pentagon missile theory, these people were paid to lie to cover up the truth about the missile.
    - How about the scientists and engineers, who say the towers falling are 100% plausible. They were paid to lie too. There's literally thousands of engineers who say the towers falling after planes hit them are scientifically possible- they must have been paid too, according to 9/11 truthers.
    - What about the people that had to actually wire the bombs and explosives inside the towers, going with the controlled demolition theory. There must have been loads of people involved in that. What about the people involved in firing that missile too?

That's a lot of people already. How much would you have to be paid to be involved in a cover up of an event that killed 3,000 innocent people? At least ten million? And nobody noticed their engineer friend/father/husband suddenly becoming super rich? Nobody took the money and then went to the press saying "I was paid to keep quiet by the US government about 9/11! Here's the money to prove it! Give me a book deal now!"- it'd be the biggest revelation ever. That person would go down in history. And out of these thousands, of people that were paid to keep quiet about mass murder, nobody revealed the truth.

I remember reading online that the 9/11 conspiracy would be the world's biggest employer going by how many people would have been involved and how much they would realistically been paid to keep quiet about the truth. The world's biggest employer, and nobody spoke out.

Didn't mean for this to be so long, but essentially: It'd be IMPOSSIBLE to cover up 9/11.

Quite, there's no way hundreds of people could keep quiet about 9/11 being an inside job.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Facepalm hit the nail on the head
  • moonlilymoonlily Posts: 7,889
    Forum Member
    kaybee15 wrote: »
    This link is quite interesting:

http://digilander.libero.it/jamespaul/fc1.html

I'm not clued up enough on biology to comment definitively, but a person's head shape changing THAT much does seem unusual...:o
    and growing several inches in height. This the CT I think there just might be something in, I used to love Paul when I was a little girl but went right off him in the late sixties for some reason.
  • HogzillaHogzilla Posts: 24,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I heard an interesting one on some crap Sky channel the other day about the RMS Titanic actually being swapped in the dock with its damaged sister the Olympic. So its sinking was a big insurance scam. Or something. Never heard that before and I thought I'd seen every Titanic documentary going. May not be true but it is fascinating.