Do you think you could murder someone?

Comments

• mrsgrumpy49mrsgrumpy49 Posts: 10,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think I could go through with planning to kill someone and carry it out but in the heat of the moment - yes. I can think of someone right now .....
  • solenoidsolenoid Posts: 15,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Super Frog wrote: »
    Louis CK once said, "If there was no law against murder then there would be SO MUCH MURDER."

True. Initially there wouldn't be as people would generally feel compelled by the moral stance "Do not kill" drilled into them all their lives. However, imagine (one by one) family members were being killed. You'd have every right to seek revenge. And you would do so.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,123
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes anyone can if it came down to a you or then situation.
  • November_RainNovember_Rain Posts: 9,145
    Forum Member
    stoatie wrote: »
    I don't think I could. But then I imagine there are a lot of people currently doing time for murder who would have answered the same way until it actually happened.

True. I think we all have the capacity to kill in the right circumstances, even if we think we don't. If it was a choice of kill or be killed, I am fairly certain most would opt for the former.
  • Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes I could do and have quite an extensive list to work through.
    Just the law stopping me. Or rather the punishment acting as a deterrent as it is meant to do.

Or tough having said that, murdering anyone doesn't get the retribution that is needs as much as torturing would. With murder they are just dead whereas I would like them to know I did it for what they did.

That surprises me so many people dislike you. You come across as so lovely on DS.
  • Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No I couldn't.
  • cavallicavalli Posts: 18,738
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wouldn't say I couldn't.
  • ElanorElanor Posts: 13,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Obviously, it's impossible to know for certain, but I am as sure as I can possibly be that I could not murder anyone. I cannot imagine a situation when I would actually be prepared to kill another human being - I can imagine wanting them dead, or wanting them to suffer, and I can definitely understand Jackiebo's experience. However, when it came to it, I am extremely doubtful that I would be able to go through with it. I am not violent, and I don't think I've ever become violent or agressive, even when very scared or under threat. I'm far more likely to run away and avoid violence if at all possible, and I'd be far more likely to harm myself than anyone else.

I don't think I've ever knowingly physically hurt anyone.
  • shmiskshmisk Posts: 7,963
    Forum Member
    no, I found it hard to have suffering pets put down in the past, I couldnt do anything to end another humans life.
  • MargMckMargMck Posts: 24,115
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I couldn't plan a murder but I know I could kill someone in extreme circumstances where other life was facing imminent threat.
  • Sorcha_27Sorcha_27 Posts: 138,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    mintbro wrote: »
    I think in the heat of the moment, anything is possiable.

Only if my life was in danger which is self defence. I can honestly say I could never kill someone in cold blood.
  • IzzySIzzyS Posts: 11,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I could probably drive people to want to off themselves, if that counts(!). Lets say ive been very 'trying' of late *sigh* grrr...
  • GPGP Posts: 84
    Forum Member
    Easy but I'd need a serious amount of bullets to get cracking on my cull.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 125
    Forum Member
    Only in self-defence. I would have to be in a situation where it was my life or theirs.
  • PencilPencil Posts: 5,700
    Forum Member
    I can't bring myself to kill insects and I worry about leaving my cat outside for too long. So I'm quite sure I couldn't.
  • CroctacusCroctacus Posts: 18,294
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I could.

I think most parents could quite easily to protect their kids.
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,269
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mintbro wrote: »
    I think in the heat of the moment, anything is possiable.

That could be classed as self-defence though. I imagine murder to be when someone plans the killing of someone well in advance of the actual killing. I agree with another poster that everyone is capable of killing someone. Some, much more than others though. Even when someone murders someone after days of planning, this could be a result of someone being physically/mentally abused for years in a very bad relationship. In the most extreme of circumstances, I think killing someone is understandable.
  • NX-74205NX-74205 Posts: 4,691
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dark environment, no CCTV and a Walther P22 equipped with a Gem-Tech Seahunter suppressor. Jobs a good un.
  • Keyser_Soze1Keyser_Soze1 Posts: 25,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Everyone is capable of murder in the right circumstances.

If anybody thinks differently I suggest you study the endless savagery committed by Humanity throughout our history.

We are just animals after all, and we are the apex predators of the planet for a reason.
  • Reality SucksReality Sucks Posts: 28,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jackiebo wrote: »
    I actually considered murdering somebody once. It was about 20 years ago and I was working as a nurse in a care of the elderly ward. One man, who had a DNAR on his notes was clearly about to die, and his daughter had been given 'the call'. She was with him for a couple of hours and he was clearly in the death throes, Cheyne- Stoking, but keeping coming back. She was clearly distraught and said to him, 'Oh please dad -just let go'. I momentarily considered sending her out of the room and holding a pillow over his face, but didn't have it in me. He died about 15 mins later.

I sometimes used to think about if it was right to allow them both to undergo that additional 15 mins of torment...

She was probably more tormented than him. I can't imagine being suffocated would be a very pleasant way to die TBH. I'd rather let nature take it's course.
  • Skyclaw726Skyclaw726 Posts: 2,931
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If i could get away with it then probably.

I have a list somewhere..
  • CreamteaCreamtea Posts: 14,682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've always thought I'd take positive glee in getting revenge if someone ever killed a member of my family/a loved one.
  • zwixxxzwixxx Posts: 10,295
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If there was a big beefy rugby player who is surrounded by his mates and I was armed with a cuddly toy bunny, I'm confident I could not kill him. But if all that was required was for me to push the #-key on the keyboard and the theoretical deed would be done, well who couldn't do that ?
    # # # # # :p - not that I have anything against rugby players or bunnies.
  • TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No, but I do believe I'm capable of being willing enough to kill a person in extreme circumstances. Such as defending my or someone's life.
  • Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    NX-74205 wrote: »
    Dark environment, no CCTV and a Walther P22 equipped with a Gem-Tech Seahunter suppressor. Jobs a good un.

I'm not sure any of that rig is a particularly wise choice except, perhaps, the can.