Nightmare With Windows Update KB3004394

GroutyGrouty Posts: 34,021
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Well screwed my machine this one (Win7 Pro 64bit), Defender service couldn't be started, and no unsigned drivers could be installed, had to F8 on boot, and select disable driver sign, to get them on, but then if id restarted again, or switched off/on, i had to do the same F8 disable driver sign boot again, as what id installed wouldn't work anymore, due to non driver sign, so id have to reinstall the drivers again.

Wasn't happy, had me ripping my hair out all day, wondering wtf was going on, i was on setting up my new x99 rig as well, but removed it now, and all is well, any driver can be put on again, and will stay on, also Defenders back up and running :D

Thread about it here, causes all sorts of probs :- https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-windows_update/windows-update-kb3004394-issues/ace25277-7f65-4486-bc44-c1b106907a18?page=1

If you've got it on, get the bugger off!

Comments

• SambdaSambda Posts: 6,207
    Forum Member
    Grouty wrote: »
    Well screwed my machine this one (Win7 Pro 64bit), Defender service couldn't be started, and no unsigned drivers could be installed, had to F8 on boot, and select disable driver sign, to get them on, but then if id restarted again, or switched off/on, i had to do the same F8 disable driver sign boot again, as what id installed wouldn't work anymore, due to non driver sign, so id have to reinstall the drivers again.

Wasn't happy, had me ripping my hair out all day, wondering wtf was going on, i was on setting up my new x99 rig as well, but removed it now, and all is well, any driver can be put on again, and will stay on, also Defenders back up and running :D

Thread about it here, causes all sorts of probs :- https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-windows_update/windows-update-kb3004394-issues/ace25277-7f65-4486-bc44-c1b106907a18?page=1

If you've got it on, get the bugger off!

Yep - it got me too. Got an action centre message that Windows Defender was turned off. Microsoft we love you.....
  • GroutyGrouty Posts: 34,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Would have to happen now for me (my 1st ever Windows update thats screwed my machine), as at the time, i was on installing all the updates, as id just got my Windows back on, as clean installed on my new rig, and when these ones came though, i thought, oh yeah its patch Tuesday today, so i'll get this months while im on :D

Good job i decided to leave the re-install till the following day (as thought it was screwed with the driver sign crap), and id found out about the bugger, otherwise id have been none the wiser, re-installed thinking it would be ok, but id then get the updates again, with this killer bugger, and be back to where i was :p
  • Andy2Andy2 Posts: 11,949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I just re-installed W7 on Monday and then disabled updates. Best thing to do IMO. Most of them are unnecessary and some of them cause chaos. I update Defender when I remember and then disable updates again.
  • de525made525ma Posts: 874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Andy2 wrote: »
    I just re-installed W7 on Monday and then disabled updates. Best thing to do IMO. Most of them are unnecessary and some of them cause chaos. I update Defender when I remember and then disable updates again.

err, no.
  • davidsevendavidseven Posts: 3,336
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,267
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Andy2 wrote: »

If you're not bothered about your operating system having 'holes' in it, that's fine. I prefer mine to be patched when they're available. Even Mac and Linux have updates every so often. I'm assuming you're talking about security updates?
  • OrbitalzoneOrbitalzone Posts: 12,627
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yep this bugger messed up my new PC I was loading Win7 and the 250 critical updates.... suddenly finding what was a perfectly setup new OS started to play silly buggers... luckily found out about this broken patch and removed it and problems solved.
  • afcbfanafcbfan Posts: 7,160
    Forum Member
    No problems here, but I have automatic updates switched off for this very reason. I let the early adopters take the hit then install them when all the problems have been ironed out.

At least you've learned a lesson for the future, OP.
  • GroutyGrouty Posts: 34,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    afcbfan wrote: »
    At least you've learned a lesson for the future, OP.

Indeed. :)

Apparently it only affects Win 7.
  • NewWorldManNewWorldMan Posts: 4,904
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Grouty wrote: »
    Would have to happen now for me (my 1st ever Windows update thats screwed my machine),

XP SP2 screwed mine at the time. Couldn't boot to any configuration so had to rebuild.

I did have problems with patch Tuesday. I don't seem to have 3004394 so maybe they pulled it before I got my updates?

However, it did get stuck on one which I think was a patch for Visual Studio 2012 (I'll watch out for that if it reappears and zap it). Eventually when I rebooted the next day Windows Update was a in a sick state. It appears to be back to normal now but I also got a CHKDSK run on s subsequent reboot which is a bit worrying. My last PC had a few of those over a period of a year or so before eventually dying. :(
  • swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,093
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm on Windows 8.1 but after seeing this thread I checked my update history

This particular update had tried to install but installation failed

I notice it had downloaded again and was shown as something like 'awaiting restart'

so I deleted it

Installation of a lot of these automatic updates seems to Fail and life goes on so I guess they can't all be that important...........
  • barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have Windows 7 64-bit on a laptop and the number of updates and the length of time it took to install them was making it almost unusable. I switched off updates altogether and now only let it run once a month.