When did VHF change to FM?

RichardcoulterRichardcoulter Posts: 30,347
Forum Member
✭✭✭
As a child, I used to hear the term VHF a lot, particularly in regards to stereo radio broadcasts.

At some unknown point, this was replaced by FM.

Are they the same thing, with a different name?

If so, why/when did it change?

Thanks.

Comments

• chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Though people do use VHF and FM interchangeably they are not in any way direct equivalents of each other.

VHF means Very High Frequency
    FM means Frequency Modulation

So VHF refers to a part of the radio frequency spectrum and FM to the means by which information is encoded onto a radio signal.

You could use FM at any frequency and any modulation method in the VHF band. It just so happens that when broadcasting started in the 88-108MHz band most usually associated with the term VHF the FM system was chosen to encode the audio information onto the radio signal. It could just as easily have been AM as used on Medium and Long Wave broadcasts.

The use of FM to mean broadcasts in the 88-108 band seems to have become more common when commercial broadcasting started up 40 years ago as far as I can remember.
  • albertdalbertd Posts: 14,358
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    chrisjr wrote: »
    So VHF refers to a part of the radio frequency spectrum
    Yes, and quite a wide range, from 30 to 300 MHz. Below 30 the main bands are LF (30-300kHz), MF (300 kHz-3 MHz, with part more usually referred to as MW) and HF (3-30 MHz) while above 300 is UHF, SHF etc.
    You could use FM at any frequency
    Such as the 27 MHz Citizen Band which is just in HF.
  • gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,623
    Forum Member
    when broadcasting started in the 88-108MHz band most usually associated with the term VHF the FM system was chosen to encode the audio information onto the radio signal. It could just as easily have been AM as used on Medium and Long Wave broadcasts
    Why did they choose to use FM rather than AM?
  • chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gomezz wrote: »
    Why did they choose to use FM rather than AM?

Presumably because FM is less susceptible to some forms of interference than AM. So in theory it can give higher quality reception than AM.
  • mailmos98mailmos98 Posts: 256
    Forum Member
    Though people do use VHF and FM interchangeably they are not in any way direct equivalents of each other.

VHF means Very High Frequency
    FM means Frequency Modulation

So VHF refers to a part of the radio frequency spectrum and FM to the means by which information is encoded onto a radio signal.

You could use FM at any frequency and any modulation method in the VHF band. It just so happens that when broadcasting started in the 88-108MHz band most usually associated with the term VHF the FM system was chosen to encode the audio information onto the radio signal. It could just as easily have been AM as used on Medium and Long Wave broadcasts.

The use of FM to mean broadcasts in the 88-108 band seems to have become more common when commercial broadcasting started up 40 years ago as far as I can remember.

ILR used the term VHF well into the 80's.
  • Sid LawSid Law Posts: 4,702
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mailmos98 wrote: »

In the '70's and '80's, Radio/Cassettes, Music Centres and separates tuners manufactured in the far east usually had FM marked on them rather than VHF, so I'm guessing that the broadcasters realised that in order to encourage the use of VHF, they should refer to FM, because that's what it said on many radios.
  • paulx23paulx23 Posts: 2,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, it was probably more towards the end of the 80's with the ILR frequency splits and Radio One going on FM that it became more the accepted term to use.
  • anthony davidanthony david Posts: 14,501
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sid Law wrote: »
    In the '70's and '80's, Radio/Cassettes, Music Centres and separates tuners manufactured in the far east usually had FM marked on them rather than VHF, so I'm guessing that the broadcasters realised that in order to encourage the use of VHF, they should refer to FM, because that's what it said on many radios.

Spot on, British made sets had dials marked MW/VHF and wavelength (for LW/MW), Japanese sets said AM/FM and frequency. Most british stations still used wavelengths (Radio 1 on 247, Luxembourg 208 etc) long after radio manufactures changed over to dials in frequencies.
  • Mark CMark C Posts: 20,907
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There was a period in the 80s when the BBC used the term 'VHFM'

http://hub.tv-ark.org.uk/images/bbctwo/images_cont/1979/onradio21985.jpg
  • chemical2009bchemical2009b Posts: 5,250
    Forum Member
    Radio 1 was still using the term VHF on Simon Bates' last chart show on September 23rd 1984 but when Richard Skinner took over the following week they started to call it FM. Of course this was back in the days when Radio 1 had to share VHF/FM with Radio 2.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 400
    Forum Member
    Mark C wrote: »
    There was a period in the 80s when the BBC used the term 'VHFM'

http://hub.tv-ark.org.uk/images/bbctwo/images_cont/1979/onradio21985.jpg

They didn't use the term VHFM, it's just a play on words for the graphic, that's all. That picture is from the late 80s when, as has been explained above, VHF and FM were both seen on the different radios and stereos of the time.

ILR was using VHF until 1988 from what I can remember.
  • Robert WilliamsRobert Williams Posts: 2,213
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    leetait wrote: »
    They didn't use the term VHFM, it's just a play on words for the graphic, that's all. That picture is from the late 80s when, as has been explained above, VHF and FM were both seen on the different radios and stereos of the time.

ILR was using VHF until 1988 from what I can remember.
    As far as the Radio Times was concerned, they used "VHF" up until 1984, "VHF/FM" from 1984 to 1988, and then solely "FM" from 1988. I think this reflects usage in the wider BBC, with that Radio 2 graphic using a representation of "VHF/FM".
  • randy toksvigrandy toksvig Posts: 275
    Forum Member
    I agree that VHFM was never used on air but many stations did use both - for example 'we are broadcasting on 104.2 VHF FM'. After 1988 just FM was used.
  • BollardBollard Posts: 3,422
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What was the first station in the UK to start calling itself 'something FM'? Capital FM in 1988?
  • wirelessonewirelessone Posts: 168
    Forum Member
    Don't forget Germany calls it UKW (Ultra short wave).

Yes the family radiogram (made in England) in the 1970's had medium/long waves marked in metres, and the hi-fi band marked VHF.

The BBC was on the money with this one as the whole band 30-300 MHz is called VHF.

And who could ever forget this legendary Radio jingle....

https://audioboom.com/boos/561561-radio-1-275-285-and-stereo-vhf-1980

Pity the Government could not have put a big import tariff on AM/FM marked sets to keep this quirk of British radio alive;-)
  • sparrysparry Posts: 2,057
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bollard wrote: »
    What was the first station in the UK to start calling itself 'something FM'? Capital FM in 1988?

This mainly came about when the ILR stations of the time were forced to split frequencies, i.e stop broadcasting on both AM and FM. The Government said if companies continued to do this they would take one of their frequencies away.

So, most ILR's split into xxxxx FM on FM offering chart pop / Top 40 and xxxxx Gold on AM, offering 60's / 70's music. There were a few exceptions but that was what the majority did.

For example, here in Leicester, Leicester Sound, which had been broadcasting on 1260 AM / 238 metres and 103.2 FM, split into Sound FM on 103.2 FM and GEM AM on 1260 AM (this later changed to 24 hour Asian programming in 1992, but that story has been told more than once in other threads!)

Some did it sooner than others, Radio Broadland didn't split at all until 1995, and Radio Wyvern didn't until 1996 if memory serves me correctly, I think they were the last one to do so.
  • NiknodNiknod Posts: 367
    Forum Member
    For Viking FM they started calling it FM rather than VHF in around 1986. Their original jingle package included a jingle with the lyrics "VHF Stereo... 102.7....Viking..." whereas their second package after their frequency move was quoting "96.9 FM Stereo.... Viking..." Now when we stopped making a fuss of Stereo on FM I have no idea!
  • Bandspread199Bandspread199 Posts: 4,900
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Radios in the 60s and 70s had MW/LW in metres, VHF in Megacycles (Mc/s) as opposed to MHz later on. Suppose it was better than showing 3.0, 3.1, 3.2 metres etc!
  • EnnerjeeEnnerjee Posts: 5,131
    Forum Member

A lot of ILRs used "FM" especially in their sung jingles. I don't recall any of them having jingles referring to "VHF".
  • wirewolfwirewolf Posts: 805
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ennerjee wrote: »
    A lot of ILRs used "FM" especially in their sung jingles. I don't recall any of them having jingles referring to "VHF".

I remember when Beacon launched its Shropshire service in July 1987, and they had a jingle saying VHF 103.1. Fairly sure they had an alternate version of it saying FM 103.1, but it wasn't long before they stopped referring to VHF altogether.
  • _ben_ben Posts: 5,758
    Forum Member
    albertd wrote: »
    Such as the 27 MHz Citizen Band which is just in HF.

And conversely, VHF airband (108-137 MHz) uses AM.
  • OrbitalzoneOrbitalzone Posts: 12,627
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Radios in the 60s and 70s had MW/LW in metres, VHF in Megacycles (Mc/s) as opposed to MHz later on. Suppose it was better than showing 3.0, 3.1, 3.2 metres etc!

Did they always refer to metres for wavelength or was it yards in the UK in ye olde days? I'd be surprised if our old early radio boffins would tolerate such nonsense :D
  • Richard_TRichard_T Posts: 5,166
    Forum Member
    Now when we stopped making a fuss of Stereo on FM I have no idea!

Perhaps Stereo Fm isnt refereed to as it would make low bit rate poor quality mono DAB sound bad.
    CD quality my backside. and they want to replace FM with DAB?
  • wirelessonewirelessone Posts: 168
    Forum Member
    Did they always refer to metres for wavelength or was it yards in the UK in ye olde days? I'd be surprised if our old early radio boffins would tolerate such nonsense :D

American early radios seemed to have used wavelengths in 'meters'!!

http://antiqueradios.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=73557

I remember in the 1980's, Radio 1s Richard Skinner had a joke jingle quoting 275/285 meters in yards!
  • 446.09375446.09375 Posts: 961
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think it was a gradual shift throughout the 80s, and I suspect car radios played a large part. With all the best-selling Fords with their standard radios featured push-button preset buttons labelled with either AM or FM (pull it out, tune to the station, then push it in again! How primitive, but it worked!), it must have gradually seeped into the public consciousness. By the time radios started to have digital readouts in the late 80s, FM was almost totally entrenched. I don't recall seeing a digital readout stereo with 'VHF' on it.