Comments

• jonmorrisjonmorris Posts: 21,759
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Works fine. Order another one!
  • mooxmoox Posts: 18,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mine mostly works okay in my generic mifi device but sometimes EE seems to notice and blocks all traffic to/from it, as some sort of crude tethering block.

The speeds I get are not terribly impressive, but I'm nowhere near a 4G area
  • david16david16 Posts: 14,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    moox wrote: »
    Mine mostly works okay in my generic mifi device but sometimes EE seems to notice and blocks all traffic to/from it, as some sort of crude tethering block.

The speeds I get are not terribly impressive, but I'm nowhere near a 4G area

I thought that mifi was mobile wifi using a sim and not classed as actual tethering.

If EE are classing using your mifi device as tethering that's not right.
  • david16david16 Posts: 14,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jonmorris wrote: »
    Works fine. Order another one!

But can using a second one with 2 months of 100GB free data be done on the same smartphone?

Your smartphone would probably detect that there was already one of these EE trial sims was used on it. But who knows.

But you can only try and see what happens.
  • d123d123 Posts: 8,604
    Forum Member
    david16 wrote: »
    I thought that mifi was mobile wifi using a sim and not classed as actual tethering.

So how would you actually use any data via a mifi?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But can using a second one with 2 months of 100GB free data be done on the same smartphone?

Your smartphone would probably detect that there was already one of these EE trial sims was used on it. But who knows.

But you can only try and see what happens.

I doubt EE is checking IMEIs but I thought you'd be putting the other SIM in the tablet anyway?

I've got one in a LG G3, one in a Nexus 7, one in an iPad air and another in a Z1 Compact.
  • The Lord LucanThe Lord Lucan Posts: 5,054
    Forum Member
    EE are not putting restrictions on ordering and using it in same handset. Using it in a Mifi might be an issue though as that is using it only as a mobile data sim. However I've had no issues tethering.
  • me_plus_oneme_plus_one Posts: 703
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, they seem to be giving a free £15 add-on to people using these sims.

It gives you 500 minutes, unlimited texts and 2GB of data (on top of the 100GB).

My sim has been active for about a week but I have not recieved anything, it appears that this top up is random and not for everyone?
    I have not added any credit, just used the 150 number.
    Forum Member
    My sim has been active for about a week but I have not recieved anything, it appears that this top up is random and not for everyone?
    I have not added any credit, just used the 150 number.

I only added £5 credit and a £1 pack and have received the free £15 pack.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    While you're told the pack only starts when you make a call or send a text, I'm already down to 28 days on the SIM in a tablet that can neither send texts or make calls!

It's also a special pack isn't it? I couldn't see the add on elsewhere?
  • culabulaculabula Posts: 862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jonmorris wrote: »
    While you're told the pack only starts when you make a call or send a text, I'm already down to 28 days on the SIM in a tablet that can neither send texts or make calls!

It's also a special pack isn't it? I couldn't see the add on elsewhere?

I just took the SIM out of my iPad, put it in a spare iPhone, reached for another envelope from whacky funsters Dan and Phil and stuck another hundred gigs in my iPad.

Such larks....
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Artmuzz wrote: »
    I recently received the EE 100gb free sim. I am very happy with it in my iPhone. However, I was wondering has anyone tried using the sim card in an iPad or other tablet?

As this is a SIM that permits tethering , it will work in any device -phone, iPad or Mifi.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Typically a MiFi allows 5-8 devices to connect to it.

How else then would you describe it?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Using a MiFi is tethering, pure and simple. If a network hasn't made that implicitly clear in the T&Cs so be it, but it's still quite obvious.

I am using a VPN to tether at home at the moment, and as soon as I updated the VPN software and temporarily connected directly, my speed dropped from 35Mbps to 4Mbps!

My Nexus 7 with another SIM in it kept going at full rate, so I definitely think EE is trying to manage people who tether.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've been using my SIM today in the generic mifi device, it's worked all day so far without being cut off like before.

I get about 6-10Mbps on 3G, which is about the same as on 3 with a real mobile broadband SIM. The mifi device seems to think DC-HSPA is available, too
    Forum Member
    culabula wrote: »
    Typically a MiFi allows 5-8 devices to connect to it.

How else then would you describe it?

I asked the same question yesterday, I don't think he knows how to answer it...;-)
  • catzooocatzooo Posts: 327
    Forum Member
    I have the sim in my iPad. 3G only here though.
    I am struggling to use the 100g :-) After 2 weeks I have only used 25g. Using iPad to tether to my smart tv.
    I have got the free month trial with Netflix and am more than half way through Breaking Bad.
    So far it is looking like a good replacement for The One PLan as the Three signal here is not good enough to watch films. Depending on what EE offer for sim deal.
  • DarreninessexDarreninessex Posts: 485
    Forum Member
    Decent offer of the free 15 credit...

Now if they can have a decent data allowance at end of trial then I'll be more than happy...10gb would be fine...

Can the free sims still be ordered ?????
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They could a day or two ago.
  • OrbitalzoneOrbitalzone Posts: 12,627
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There's also the same offer via some other unknown youtube celeb :D but with some odd refferal scheme

https://ee.co-buying.com/cobuys/ali-a-limited-edition-sim?referral_code=

(that link is without any referral code but seems to still work)

I ordered one of these and it arrived 2 days later and I'd already ordered the original 100GB free sim
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That would explain the seller on eBay selling "ali-a EE sims"
  • ArtmuzzArtmuzz Posts: 576
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The EE free 100gb sim works in my iPhone. However when I put the sim in my iPad Air I don't get internet access. I get a message telling me "Could not activate cellular data network. You are not subscribed to a cellular data service" Hmm.

So it appears that the EE sim only gives me internet access on my iPhone but not on my iPad.
  • paulkerpaulker Posts: 927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mine went in the bin as it wouldn't let me tether for more than a few minutes.
  • alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd suggest the iPhone binned it for you, but other posts(well I can see iPAd) seem to beg to differ.
  • Chris1973Chris1973 Posts: 670
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mine went in the bin as it wouldn't let me tether for more than a few minutes.

Not had any problems using mine with Phone, Mifi or Dongle. Little difference in speed between the devices. No VPN or other tools used.