Options

Kill Spiders? Yes/ No/ Sometimes

chinchinchinchin Posts: 125,851
Forum Member
✭✭✭✭
Do you kill spiders? I don't. I think they benefit me by killing fies and other nasty bugs. I am not over fond of then though and do clear webs from time to time.

Please vote in my Poll if you'd like. :)

Do you kill spiders? 227 votes

Yes
23% 54 votes
No
55% 125 votes
Sometimes
21% 48 votes

Comments

• Options
    Seth1Seth1 Posts: 676
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Depends how much mess they are going to make. I don't kill money spiders though because that's bad luck.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Seth1 wrote: »
    Depends how much mess they are going to make. I don't kill money spiders though because that's bad luck.

You are entitled to your view. Thank you for voting. :)
  • Options
    dekafdekaf Posts: 8,398
    Forum Member
    Never deliberately.
  • Options
    Seth1Seth1 Posts: 676
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well I haven't killed a spider knowingly for years but I killed one last night as it was on my curtains. So I'll vote No
  • Options
    BROXI BEARBROXI BEAR Posts: 9,279
    Forum Member
    No I catch them and evict them.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,692
    Forum Member
    Sometimes I capture them and intern them in POW camps (a pint glasses with a coaster on the bottom) before deporting them (out the window).
  • Options
    RichmondBlueRichmondBlue Posts: 21,279
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Big spiders..yes. Not because I want to, I just can't bear to pick them up. So I suppose I kill them out of fear. I know it's silly, but it's something I've never been able to overcome.
  • Options
    The MartianThe Martian Posts: 1,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Never. They don't do any harm and they are really gentle if you pick them up with your fingers.

Don't be mean to spiders. >:(
  • Options
    dorydaryldorydaryl Posts: 15,927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    GeoBa92 wrote: »
    Sometimes I capture them and intern them in POW camps (a pint glasses with a coaster on the bottom) before deporting them (out the window).

I like this. Me too! I've grown quite fond of spiders. When I first lived alone, I had to get over my fear of them. I can't kill them.

I had a pet one, Dave, for a while, but when he started putting his 8 feet on the sofa, flicking through the TV channels with the remote (you can do this pretty quickly with 8 legs), surfing my web instead of his own and demanding fresh flies for his supper, I told him to pay rent or p*ss off. He was also planning to bring his missus in, pregnant with their 500 kids. It would never have worked in a 1-bed flat.
  • Options
    Bad Wolf 525Bad Wolf 525 Posts: 5,552
    Forum Member
    I voted sometimes.

I live in an area that has the Brown Recluse and the Northern Black Widow, lucky me! :D Those spider bites can be dangerous.

I'm too frighten of spiders to be the one who kills them. Usually i have one of my family members come and take care of the spider for me. Usually they set the spider free outside. But yes there are times they do kill the spider, if they look scary!
  • Options
    balthasarbalthasar Posts: 2,824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, they do a good job of pest control. If they are large though, they will be shown the door.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    All the time.

Originally I'd only try to kill them if they were big, but one managed to have several hundred babies inside the walls or in our attic last year. For weeks we had baby spiders coming out of the cracks in the ceiling constantly and dangling around the lights.

Ever since then I've had no hesitation in killing even the smallest of spiders. If I become aware of a spider's existence then it's living on borrowed time.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,170
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm petrified of them :-(
    They run faster than Usain Bolt I can't get up the stairs quicker than them, they have too many legs and beedy eyes.
    Horrible things :-(
  • Options
    Marc_Anthony1Marc_Anthony1 Posts: 984
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ew this thread is revolting. I am squirming as I keep seeing the evil things...
  • Options
    evil cevil c Posts: 7,833
    Forum Member
    I don't understand this obsession with spider threads. Perhaps I'm too intelligent for this forum. On the spider equivalent forum are there threads asking about humans - hide, run away, wish we could kill them for being irrationally stupid and cruel?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    dorydaryl wrote: »
    I like this. Me too! I've grown quite fond of spiders. When I first lived alone, I had to get over my fear of them. I can't kill them.

I had a pet one, Dave, for a while, but when he started putting his 8 feet on the sofa, flicking through the TV channels with the remote (you can do this pretty quickly with 8 legs), surfing my web instead of his own and demanding fresh flies for his supper, I told him to pay rent or p*ss off. He was also planning to bring his missus in, pregnant with their 500 kids. It would never have worked in a 1-bed flat.

Poor baby. :(
  • Options
    Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,875
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Not any more I don't. I used to be terrible around spiders, but gradually over the years I have become a lot better with them, and can now get them outside. I still won't physically pick them up, but a little persuasion with a magazine or something usually gets them out of the front door. Or I just leave them alone.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Not any more I don't. I used to be terrible around spiders, but gradually over the years I have become a lot better with them, and can now get them outside. I still won't physically pick them up, but a little persuasion with a magazine or something usually gets them out of the front door. Or I just leave them alone.

Well done JC. :)
  • Options
    AneechikAneechik Posts: 20,208
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Almost always.
  • Options
    SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I trap then in a plastic beaker. Slide some card underneath it and take the traumatised spider outside
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,170
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    evil c wrote: »
    I don't understand this obsession with spider threads. Perhaps I'm too intelligent for this forum. On the spider equivalent forum are there threads asking about humans - hide, run away, wish we could kill them for being irrationally stupid and cruel?
    I doff my cap to you sir :) it is human nature to be scared of such things, spiders, heights, enclosed spaces etc.
    You are far too superior to be among us mere mortals.
    I bow to your superior intelligence.
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Absolutely every time, without fail. That said, I've been lucky for a while now as I haven't seen any. I had one about a month ago which i got rid of, but that's been the first one in a while.

Maybe they've finally got the message ..
  • Options
    Pull2OpenPull2Open Posts: 15,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Never, they do nothing bit good and are more scared of you.
  • Options
    annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    sometimes.

i once managed to flatten one from across the room with a well aimed ginsters pasty.
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sometimes.

i once managed to flatten one from across the room with a well aimed ginsters pasty.

I'm seriously impressed at that accuracy :)

I actually bought a Nerf Gun (seriously :)) as a potential solution for those spiders i couldn't get close enough to, but it's about as useful as trying to shoot a sausage from across the room.

But then about 2 months ago, I was in my local Co-Op and looking at their reduced shelf and they had about half a dozen cans of RAID on the shelf reduced to 50p each so i bought all of them !