Options

Cat died last night

2»

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,709
    Forum Member
    RIP Roxy.
    Like others here I have lost pets too, some very young (a cat and a dog both to cancer at about a year old) and some old (we had a yorkie who lived to 16) and also I have three young cats all under 2.
    I dread the day they leave me, but I sincerely hope that they lived as long as your Roxy did. You cannot ask for more, and I am glas for you Rosalynn, that this has not been too traumatic for you.
  • Options
    angelbabyxangelbabyx Posts: 742
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Aw god:( I'm sorry about your cat.
    My cat(who was the same age as yours) died last year..
    i still miss her. :( more missed now she's not around than she was ever recognised when she was living. which is really sad.
    aw *hug* i hate when things die.x
  • Options
    rosalynnrosalynn Posts: 4,500
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks again everyone.

We're going to have Roxy cremated at an animal rescue centre near me, it's so cute, like he was a little human or something! We had the same done with our last cat.

We'll probably get another cat at some stage, in a few months or something. Obviously don't really want to rush though, and we're going to get it from that same animal rescue place.

We inherited Roxy, by the way, in 1992 when he kept turning up at our place to steal my other cat's food. We kept taking him back to his real house but he kept coming back. We went to Disneyland Paris on holiday for the week and came back hoping he'd have forgotten about us but no, he was there on the doorstep to welcome us back! In the end the house he belonged to donated him to us because they weren't at home enough to give him the attention he needed.

One of my funniest memories was when he was curled up on my computer because it was warm, and as he stretched he slid off the back down the 4-inch gap between the cabinet and the wall and got stuck! Had to move the cabinet thing out the way to get him as he kinda got stuck upside-down!
  • Options
    Andy2Andy2 Posts: 11,949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    "We inherited Roxy, by the way, in 1992 when he kept turning up at our place to steal my other cat's food. We kept taking him back to his real house but he kept coming back."

Rosalyn, that's exactly what happed with our second cat, Bully (we didn't choose that name!). He kept turning up and hanging around, and when I picked him up he seemed a bit underweight and was quite scabby. We tried to ignore him and many times I took him back to his proper home just across the way, but often he was waiting for me when I got home! I think he could sense that we were 'cat people' and that we would help him. After a while, we couldn't stand it any more. I took him to the vet, pretending we had inherited him from a deceased relative who had neglected him. It turned out he had severe flea-dirt allergy and needed feeding up.
    After a few weeks of TLC he turned into a wonderful cat, a real character - and his coat had transformed from dull and wiry into sleek and thick. Sadly, Bully stayed with us only 3 years before going out one evening and not coming back. He was quite elderly, so we think he may have become ill and found somewhere to die. He was very much *my* cat, and I still miss him terribly.
    I think you are doing the right thing by waiting a while before looking for a new cat. Good luck.
  • Options
    rosalynnrosalynn Posts: 4,500
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks Andy2 - that's a really nice story. Yeah, Roxy was literally throwing himself at us. The owner was pretty good about it, actually - she had three cats but admitted she was probably at work too much to give them full attention and basically donated Roxy to us.

Our other cat was ill and went off to find somewhere to die like yours. We came back from a restaurant and finally found him next door under their car port so we took him to the vets to have him put down.
  • Options
    aimlessunitedaimlessunited Posts: 262
    Forum Member
    Rosalynn, I feel your pain, I lost my little man on Saturday and it feels like a part of me is missing. He was 14 and a half and certainly got through more than 9 lives in his time. I was grateful that he died with me and he only appeared to be in pain for about an hour although he was off his food for a couple of days. I too am getting Tigger cremated and I am waiting for his ashes so that he can be at rest. I was just so glad that the catflap was shut as this is where I found him saturday morning as I think he was trying to go away to die and that would have broken my heart.

Rest in peace Roxy, you obviously left a paw print on your owner's heart just like Tiggy did with us

x
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 902
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Aw I am so sorry about your lovely boy. What a grand age though, he must have had a fabulous life with you. Bless his little furry heart.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm so sorry to hear of your loss Rosalyn :( Roxy had a loving, caring home with you though, and a long happy life. I wish all animals could know such care and kindness.

He'll always leave his little pawprints on your heart....

Be gentle with yourself, it will take time before it stops hurting so much **HUGS**

RAINBOW BRIDGE

"Just this side of Heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food and water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable. All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by.

The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing: they miss someone very special to them; who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. The bright eyes are intent; the eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to break away from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster. YOU have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together......."
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ...I lost my little man on Saturday and it feels like a part of me is missing....

I'm so sorry to hear about your loss too *hugs* sorry, I haven't read the whole thread.....

I hope the Rainbow Bridge poem can bring a little comfort to everyone who's lost a pet. It's helped me a little, but there are no words that can really take the pain away, unfortunately :(
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2
    Forum Member
    :cry:I am so very sorry to hear about Roxy. It sounds like you are a wonderful owner and Roxy was very lucky to have you. It made me cry because I recently lost my Moses about 3wks ago. He was not but maybe 10-11yrs old and he had tested positive for FIV when I adopted him. They are all so special and each has its own unique personality. God be with you in your grief, tho it sounds like Roxy died quite peacefully.
  • Options
    michelle666michelle666 Posts: 2,302
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :cry:I am so very sorry to hear about Roxy. It sounds like you are a wonderful owner and Roxy was very lucky to have you. It made me cry because I recently lost my Moses about 3wks ago. He was not but maybe 10-11yrs old and he had tested positive for FIV when I adopted him. They are all so special and each has its own unique personality. God be with you in your grief, tho it sounds like Roxy died quite peacefully.

I'm really sorry to hear about Moses. I hope you don't mind me asking, but did he live for quite a long time and remain in reasonable health after the FIV was diagnosed? We adopted a cat last year who also tested positive for FIV and while he's doing great at the moment, (he's only 2) I do really worry about his future. Every time he shows any sign of being slightly unwell I panic.

Sorry to everyone else who's posted about losing their cats too. It's never easy saying goodbye. :(