Great film performances Oscar didnt nominate

124»

Comments

• Options
    LMLM Posts: 63,505
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Muttley76 wrote: »
    true, but then he was Stanley Tucci, a guy much respected in hollywood who had never previously been recognised by the academy, which i think does make a difference, whether it should or not.

True actually. Very true:)
  • Options
    SandsssSandsss Posts: 3,124
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Michelle Pfeiffer - Batman Returns
  • Options
    TexAveryWolfTexAveryWolf Posts: 1,027
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Michael Keaton -Beetlejuice
    Woody Harrelson -Rampart
    Eric Bana -Chopper
    Philip Baker Hall -Secret Honor
    Sharlto Copley -District 9
    Ryan Reynolds -Buried
    zero Mostel -The Producers

and the non-actor who played the Centurion in Ben Hur
  • Options
    JohnbeeJohnbee Posts: 4,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mercedes McCambridge for supporting role as Emma in Johnny Guitar.
  • Options
    stripedcatstripedcat Posts: 6,689
    Forum Member
    Hugh Grant for Four Weddings and a Funeral.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Henry Fonda for The Lady Eve.
  • Options
    Walter NeffWalter Neff Posts: 9,198
    Forum Member
    stripedcat wrote: »
    Henry Fonda for The Lady Eve.

Stanwyck wasn't nominated either, I have 87 of her 88 films, and for me this was her greatest performance. Instead she was nominated that year for Ball of Fire,but lost to Joan Fontaine for Suspicion, which was a consolation prize for not winning the previous year for Rebecca.
  • Options
    muggins14muggins14 Posts: 61,844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Steve McQueen - Papillon
    Ned Beatty - Deliverance

Just looking on IMDB, I never realised that Donald Sutherland has NEVER been nominated for an Oscar, let alone won. He should at least have been nominated for Don't Look Now
  • Options
    LMLM Posts: 63,505
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Barbara Hershey - Black Swan
    One of my fav films and although the spotlight was all on Natalie portman (she wasn't that great personally) , it was Babs who stole the show. Actually, Mila Kuni was even a better highlight than Natalie portman as well.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Stanwyck wasn't nominated either, I have 87 of her 88 films, and for me this was her greatest performance. Instead she was nominated that year for Ball of Fire,but lost to Joan Fontaine for Suspicion, which was a consolation prize for not winning the previous year for Rebecca.

Yep. Even though she was nominated for 'Ball of Fire', her performance in 'The Lady Eve' was probably the more demanding one because of the twist in the storyline.

Likewise, I think that it was perhaps Fonda's greatest performance. Playing such an introverted character against Stanwyck's card sharp broad and providing the film with its magical chemistry. It was a male comedy performance(and in a leading role) and they rarely get a look-in at the Oscars - notice Cary Grant never getting nominated for those roles(although he did for a few dramatic parts) and Hugh Grant being snubbed for 'Four Weddings and Funeral'.
  • Options
    Walter NeffWalter Neff Posts: 9,198
    Forum Member
    stripedcat wrote: »
    Yep. Even though she was nominated for 'Ball of Fire', her performance in 'The Lady Eve' was probably the more demanding one because of the twist in the storyline.

Likewise, I think that it was perhaps Fonda's greatest performance. Playing such an introverted character against Stanwyck's card sharp broad and providing the film with its magical chemistry. It was a male comedy performance(and in a leading role) and they rarely get a look-in at the Oscars - notice Cary Grant never getting nominated for those roles(although he did for a few dramatic parts) and Hugh Grant being snubbed for 'Four Weddings and Funeral'.

I thought that it was crazy that James Stewart won the Best Actor Oscar for The Philadelphia Story and yet Cary wasn't even nominated, his was by far the best performance.

One of the reasons that he and Stanwyck missed out at Oscar time was because they were both free lancers and were not tied down to any one studio with long term contracts. Naturally a studio would give one of their contract players all the publicity and ballyhoo when it was Oscar time, they were not going to give it to an independent performer who was not tied to them. Consequently, Stewart an MGM contract player at the time won for an MGM film.
  • Options
    goldberry1goldberry1 Posts: 2,699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was interested to hear Peter Jackson praising Sean Astin's acting as Sam in LOTR - he thought he should have been awarded. I've also always thought he should have been best supporting actor.
  • Options
    PANNAL1PANNAL1 Posts: 8,905
    Forum Member
    Agreed Goldberry... The end of the first film in the boat between Sam and Frodo is heartbreaking.. I also thought Ian Holm was superb in the LOTR films as Bilbo.. But Astin was definetely overlooked at the oscars ..a very under rated actor full stop..
  • Options
    PANNAL1PANNAL1 Posts: 8,905
    Forum Member
    James Stewarts win was deemed as a consolation prize for losing out the previous year for Mr Smith Goes To Washington which in turn impacted on that years result when many thought Henry Fonda (The Grapes Of Wrath) should have won.
  • Options
    loveloveXloveloveX Posts: 4,177
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    muggins14 wrote: »
    Steve McQueen - Papillon
    Ned Beatty - Deliverance

Just looking on IMDB, I never realised that Donald Sutherland has NEVER been nominated for an Oscar, let alone won. He should at least have been nominated for Don't Look Now

Noo! Never even nominated?!:eek:
  • Options
    bazzaroobazzaroo Posts: 6,848
    Forum Member
    Gary Oldman in State of Grace
    Kathy Burke in Nil by Mouth