Wanted Down Under: snobby Poms get my goat

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 102
    Forum Member
    This is a problem that seems to be overlooked. If a family moves out there and then split up - yes, it happens, both parents have to agree if one wants to come back with the child (this is anywhere in the world, I believe). If that parent isn't the one with the work visa, it can make for a very difficult time, stranded in a foreign country with no family, no income and a difficult spouse... No thanks, Australia is only a place to live and there are still many beautiful areas of the UK. We may have rain and snow, but still my preference over searing heat.
  • Vodka_DrinkaVodka_Drinka Posts: 28,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    FM Lover wrote: »
    It was just the way he can across, typical teenager I suppose not giving concrete answers.

In the end his dad put the final spanner in the works.

What was funny is when he told Nikki that when he's 18 he wanted to go traveling with his mates so sod his family then.

I thought he came across quite well really, and to be honest I can't say that I blame his dad for putting a spanner in the works.

I remember they had a family on like this before, except that time the older teen from a previous relationship was a girl and they wanted to go to New Zealand instead of Aus. Similar scenario, girl didn't want to leave behind her dad. Why do some people think its acceptable to take a child so far away from their other parent?
  • mazzy50mazzy50 Posts: 13,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Any body watching this today?

I know it's only first impressions, but it feels like the dad wants to railroad everyone into doing what he wants.
  • FM LoverFM Lover Posts: 50,830
    Forum Member
    I am watching

On paper an easy decision. Used to live in South Africa where the family are from, moved to the UK after a break in at home and both of them were shot.

Now they want to go to Australia leaving behind friends and the woman's mother who followed them from South Africa to the UK

A tough one, can't think that after their experience they'd want to live in an isolated home in Oz
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am watching

On paper an easy decision. Used to live in South Africa where the family are from, moved to the UK after a break in at home and both of them were shot.

Now they want to go to Australia leaving behind friends and the woman's mother who followed them from South Africa to the UK

A tough one, can't think that after their experience they'd want to live in an isolated home in Oz

I think my concern is that it isn't actually that they want to go to Oz - Craig wants to go to Oz.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    At least Chantelle seems to have warmed to the idea rather than just doing it to please Craig.
    Forum Member
    I missed where in the UK they live, the house was valued at around £100K so guessing its not the south
    Forum Member
    And they're off........
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I missed where in the UK they live, the house was valued at around £100K so guessing its not the south

I thought they said "Donnington near Birmingham" but I live in Brum and thought :confused:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 506
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Some things in this show really get me. They go to the other side of the world, start looking around houses etc... then they finally decide to sit down with a calculator and it turns out that they just can't afford it...

Also, they send them on a day out to a lake or a reptile house or something, and suddenly "the quality of life here is just so much better". Well... there are things like that in the UK too, you just get bored of them after 1 visit, and also, you actually have to work when you live somewhere, not go on a grand tour of minor tourist attractions every day.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14
    Forum Member
    Just watched this programme about the South Africans and it has infuriated me that they came to this country who gave them refuge,they retrained probably with skills they could use to emigrate,went swanning off in a free holiday courtesy of BBC licence payers.Guess what goodbye UK !!! What a waste of our money when there are so many native Brits looking for work and dont get me started on the BBC for squandering our money.:mad::mad::mad:
  • Trsvis_BickleTrsvis_Bickle Posts: 9,202
    Forum Member
    harryq123 wrote: »
    Just watched this programme about the South Africans and it has infuriated me that they came to this country who gave them refuge,they retrained probably with skills they could use to emigrate,went swanning off in a free holiday courtesy of BBC licence payers.Guess what goodbye UK !!! What a waste of our money when there are so many native Brits looking for work and dont get me started on the BBC for squandering our money.:mad::mad::mad:

By emigrating, they've surely freed up 2 jobs for those native Brits.:confused:
  • guernseysnailguernseysnail Posts: 18,922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Anyone else watching this morning...A mum determined to move the family, although the rest of the family seem happy in the UK.
    Forum Member
    Anyone else watching this morning...A mum determined to move the family, although the rest of the family seem happy in the UK.

Yes I saw it, looks like its down under for them and what a couple of sensible kids they have there.
  • chloebchloeb Posts: 6,501
    Forum Member
    I thought today's family were very nice. But having a million pound budget & being mortgage free helps any emigration decision!!
  • HypnoaliHypnoali Posts: 3,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    By emigrating, they've surely freed up 2 jobs for those native Brits.:confused:

Hahahaha...enraged daily mail readers aren't generally blessed with logic. Someone who clearly has an issue with immigrants objecting to them leaving again...brilliant!
  • goody66goody66 Posts: 1,223
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just playing catch up again on WDU. I have just watched the Fitzpatrick’s in New Zealand.
    I did not find Billy pushy, though sometimes – one half of the couple is the driving force.
    I cared for my mum for fifteen years – and she always said for me to move or travel if I wanted to, not in a reverse psychology way. I never did – because I had not settled with anybody. Now, years later – I live with my partner and teenage son. We looked into emigrating to Australia – but our ages were against us. We are both close to our families – and both have a parent each, but all of our family members encouraged us to follow our dream.
    I feel sometimes that there may be cracks in some relationships already, in these WDU couples. I know that it can be made worse if one partner is keener than the other – but my partner and son are my family now – but that does not mean that I love my dad and siblings any less. I know the internet and phone calls are not the same as actually being with a family member left behind – but think about families who were separated by the war – they did not have that chance.
    It is similar to people who win the Lottery and then break up – blaming the money. I personally feel that there must have been cracks there before.
    I moved to the other end of the Country to live with my partner. It was strange at first – but I found it an adventure, and have loved every minute of it.
    I am not saying that couples should pander to each other’s needs or wants – there should be a middle ground. Let’s face it – not every couple wants the same things in life, and it could be easy to give up for some. My partner – by his own definition is a bit of a ‘plodder’, and says he is grateful for my nudge and enthusiasm at times – that is different from pushy.
    It is good to have a close relationship with parents - I still do with my dad, but I do not live my life through him. I understand that these people from WDU would miss their parents and family - especially if the family member is elderly or ill, but staying for family sometimes, I find a bit of an excuse - especially on a females side. Are their relationships not strong enough for them to cope without family members near? Put is this way - how many couples struggle to keep hold of their relationship when their children have flown the nest?
    We are now planning to move to the South Coast together, as my partner has family there. I welcome the move – although not Oz – it is another adventure for us all.
    Sorry if this sounded like a lecture. Is not meant to be
  • BirthdayGirlBirthdayGirl Posts: 64,285
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So today's couple really just wanted a holiday to go over to New Zealand to see her brother!!
  • guernseysnailguernseysnail Posts: 18,922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So today's couple really just wanted a holiday to go over to New Zealand to see her brother!!

I'm watching Lacey Banghard on The Wright Stuff!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm watching Lacey Banghard on The Wright Stuff!

Her voice annoys me too much
    Forum Member
    Her voice annoys me too much

Who needs the volume up?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Who needs the volume up?

:D

I like today's couple. They seem "normal" :)
    Forum Member
    :D

I like today's couple. They seem "normal" :)

Having family already there must help make the decision a little easier surely?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Having family already there must help make the decision a little easier surely?

You would have thought.

Not sure why people go on this show, are all excited about it, and then suddenly remember that they will be leaving family behind :rolleyes:

Surely it would have crossed their minds before!
  • MRSgotobedMRSgotobed Posts: 3,851
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You can always see the look in the eyes of the one half of the couple that wants to emigrate glinting, conveying,'Just wait until I get you off camera, I'll twist your arm right up your back and snap it off.' Although not as bad today, some have been really pushy and seem to want their way at whatever cost to anyone else.
    The family from Plymouth, testing a move to Australia was the worst, the mother was not going to take no for an answer. I would have happily put her on a plane alone, waved her off and cracked open some bubbles if I were her husband.