Options

The Intimacy of dancing.

1235»

Comments

• Options
    dippydancingdippydancing Posts: 9,428
    Forum Member
    For many social dancers the connection that can occur between two people and a piece of music is like a drug. Find it once and it will keep you going back to the floor searching for that perfect high again. The feeling when you are totally in synch with your partner and both interpreting the music in a way that is harmonious and satisfying is exquisite.

However it isn't necessarily sexual. It can be :) and that is lovely too :o. But often it is simply to do with a profound feeling of understanding and being understood - being in perfect rapport if you like.

Connection is a really good word to describe this and it is perhaps the most important element of partner dancing. Most social dancing is not choreographed in advance but made up on the spot so the connection allows the communication and makes the dance happen.

Because it feels so wonderful when the rapport is there and you move smoothly with a partner (no tugging or toppling etc) it is perhaps the most desirable element of partner dancing. It is for me anyway.

I was going to write something until I read this- you've put it far better than could have, and I agree whole-heartedly.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    -Felicity- wrote: »
    Watch the end of Jodie Kidd & Ian's Rumba from Series 6...

I know Ian's gay and what not but oooh, if that was my boyfriend with her I'd be seething! :o

Brilliant! And it just reminds me of the great ITT interview where Ian says "Jodie just needs to show her breast on Saturday night". In fact I'm laughing now, even as I type.
  • Options
    SCD-ObserverSCD-Observer Posts: 18,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Brilliant! And it just reminds me of the great ITT interview where Ian says "Jodie just needs to show her breast on Saturday night". In fact I'm laughing now, even as I type.

One of those Classic ITT moments!!!:D:D:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    If you love someone - let them free. If they return they are yours for ever. If they don't they never were..

I can't believe I am writing that, feel slightly queasy now.

If you love someone, set them free. If they come back, nobody else wanted them either...
  • Options
    edy10edy10 Posts: 18,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you love someone, set them free. If they come back, nobody else wanted them either...

Uhmm....never heard that one :cool:
  • Options
    An ThropologistAn Thropologist Posts: 39,854
    Forum Member

You old cynic. :D Actually too I prefer your version. When I posted that I had to go in search of a bucket.
  • Options
    QueeniejeanQueeniejean Posts: 299
    Forum Member
    I was going to write something until I read this- you've put it far better than could have, and I agree whole-heartedly.

Yes that's more like what i meant when i started the thread,not the fact that dancing may lead to sex but that dancing is more intimate than sex in many ways. How long is it since many couples have been so close to one another in the daylight hours, many married people go through the motions and may not have the closeness they initially had,so to suddenly be dancing with a stranger day after day can bring back all the feelings of courtship in a way and the triumph of dance success can be very heady as demonstrated by Kevin and Susanna.
  • Options
    henrywilliams58henrywilliams58 Posts: 4,963
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes that's more like what i meant when i started the thread,not the fact that dancing may lead to sex but that dancing is more intimate than sex in many ways. How long is it since many couples have been so close to one another in the daylight hours, many married people go through the motions and may not have the closeness they initially had,so to suddenly be dancing with a stranger day after day can bring back all the feelings of courtship in a way and the triumph of dance success can be very heady as demonstrated by Kevin and Susanna.

.... and all that bliss without having to buy her a glass of wine - never mind half a house :cool: ;)
  • Options
    shrinkingvioletshrinkingviolet Posts: 3,372
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I never got the sense that Karen was making a claim...they are a very tactile couple (ie him kissing her on the floor after the Crazy In Love group dance was finished or rushing on after she was eliminated) and I kinda get the sense they are always very like that (as seen in her crib ep of ITT last year) and she was proud of him and that was just a natural reaction for them. They just aren't shy about PDA, I mean they got engaged on stage afterall, and for us who maybe aren't used to seeing one of our pro couples like that it may seem odd.

I get what the post is about though and I agree in a lot of ways - not so much with the professionals but more with the celebs - I think if you're not used to the intimacies required in dancing that it may, in certain circumstances, lead to confusion although I do think that over-simplifies it as well because i do think that there has to be a conscious effort to ~forget that it's just a professional relationship in these situations as well and the ones who make that effort would probably have found an excuse to do so in their day job environment as well.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

BIB I concur :cool:.

And did I miss something with Kevin and Susanna :confused::confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I suspect the pro-celebrity couples are chaperoned all the time by agents, camera crews, producers ...
  • Options
    The SwampsterThe Swampster Posts: 8,384
    Forum Member
    edy10 wrote: »
    BIB I concur :cool:.

And did I miss something with Kevin and Susanna :confused::confused:

Apparently not. She was telling anyone who'd listen on ITT yesterday that she's got the hots for Pasha (although not in those words).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I suspect the pro-celebrity couples are chaperoned all the time by agents, camera crews, producers ...

;);):cool:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Apparently not. She was telling anyone who'd listen on ITT yesterday that she's got the hots for Pasha (although not in those words).

Ah okay, thanks.
  • Options
    JohnCurryJohnCurry Posts: 1,372
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ballroom dancing was the original form of speed dating.
  • Options
    karina_karina_ Posts: 965
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

They're not.
  • Options
    Big Boy BarryBig Boy Barry Posts: 35,391
    Forum Member
    People in relationships should take up dancing, even if it's just amateur stuff for fun. It's a great way of connecting. Deepens the passion.
  • Options
    QueeniejeanQueeniejean Posts: 299
    Forum Member
    People in relationships should take up dancing, even if it's just amateur stuff for fun. It's a great way of connecting. Deepens the passion.

Yes i agree, the last time i touched my husbands hand it was to pass him the remote.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,430
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    karina_ wrote: »
    and since remarried :D

Is this right? I thought he was married to someone else now
  • Options
    peppy5peppy5 Posts: 959
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is this right? I thought he was married to someone else now

Ramps? He married Puja Vedi, I think a couple of years after his divorce.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,430
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    peppy5 wrote: »
    Ramps? He married Puja Vedi, I think a couple of years after his divorce.

That's what I thought too
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes i agree, the last time i touched my husbands hand it was to pass him the remote.

That's sad. :cry:

But sometimes it takes two to tango. Give him a (regular) hug and see how he reacts. And go dancing with or without him.

Check this thread

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1911730