[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 838
Forum Member
✭✭
Blockbuster to shut > no buyer found

http://news.sky.com/story/1177984/blockbuster-to-shut-with-1200-job-losses

Services like are out of the question:
Lovefilm £5.99 and £7.99 per month
Netflix £5.99

Looks like I wont be renting any films anytime soon.

Comments

• GneissGneiss Posts: 14,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What again?
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gneiss wrote: »
    What again?

Well not really "again" - the initial story was that they were back in administration. This is a new development.

I feel sorry for the people losing their jobs in this current environment, but I think the firm's demise was somewhat inevitable.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If only a supermarket bought into Blockbuster.

"Blockbuster in the UK was also hit hard by intense competition from supermarkets and online DVD sales."

- what about DVD and game rentals?
  • brbbrb Posts: 27,559
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well not really "again" - the initial story was that they were back in administration. This is a new development.

I have to say, I was under the impression it was common knowledge all stores were closing? My local Blockbuster staff said that all stores would be closing in December last weekend.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    brb wrote: »
    I have to say, I was under the impression it was common knowledge all stores were closing? My local Blockbuster staff said that all stores would be closing in December last weekend.

I was under the impression that quite a few would close but not that the whole chain would fold.

I wonder how much longer the independents will last ?
  • brbbrb Posts: 27,559
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was under the impression that quite a few would close but not that the whole chain would fold.

I wonder how much longer the independents will last ?

I don't even remember the last time I saw an independent rental chain, actually! There certainly aren't any in my town or any surrounding towns. It is actually quite sad. Some of my fondest memories as a child was browsing Blockbuster for like an hour for movies to rent whilst my grandparents were going crazy because they wanted to go home, haha. but the model is not only outdated, but so expensive... to rent 2 newly released blu-rays for 2 nights is like £10! It's just crazy..
  • Central cakeCentral cake Posts: 5,625
    Forum Member
    I actually feel sad about this.

I worked for them for two years and recently moved house and joined my local one for the kids. My son used to love looking for kids dvd's. He was so happy when he got them home.
  • shelleyj89shelleyj89 Posts: 16,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I miss BlockBuster. I used to find some real gems randomly looking through the different sections. My local one shut ages ago. It's just sitting there now, all empty. No-one else has bought the site.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Renting family DVDs for 99p during the summer!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    brb wrote: »
    I don't even remember the last time I saw an independent rental chain, actually! There certainly aren't any in my town or any surrounding towns. It is actually quite sad. Some of my fondest memories as a child was browsing Blockbuster for like an hour for movies to rent whilst my grandparents were going crazy because they wanted to go home, haha. but the model is not only outdated, but so expensive... to rent 2 newly released blu-rays for 2 nights is like £10! It's just crazy..

I think i've seen something like two independents in the last 4 or 5 years, and both were tiny little shops in two london boroughs.

I don't think the distributors help with the prices they charge to buy in rental copies for one thing.

It'll be interesting to see what happens with the traditional rental window if the whole idea of physical dvd rentals dies out completely. Will they scrap it in favour of films being released immediately to on-demand platforms maybe?.
  • SJ_MentalSJ_Mental Posts: 16,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ours became a morrisons earlier this year.
  • 19Nick6819Nick68 Posts: 1,792
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Used to pick up some ex rental blu ray bargains.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can anyone name other DVD rentals, past or present?

The only one I can name is Choices UK, they closed their shops, becaming an online company, where are they now?!
  • NortherlyNortherly Posts: 1,232
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    no

one

cares
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,888
    Forum Member
    There was two in my town that shut down (DVD firms) then the blockbusters in the neighbouring towns shut :(
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,647
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't remember the last time I rented a physical DVD. Once upon a time my typical Friday night was a few pints in the pub, pick up a DVD (or VHS tape before them) from the video shop, a bottle of wine from the off licence, something to eat from the takeaway and head home.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Northerly wrote: »
    no

one

cares

I suppose you have one of these: Netflix, lovefilm, Sky or similar.
  • MP3_4_LifeMP3_4_Life Posts: 175
    Forum Member
    SJ_Mental wrote: »
    Ours became a morrisons earlier this year.

You from Worthing by any chance?
  • MookyboyMookyboy Posts: 762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd heard a while ago after our local one closed, that Sainsbury's Local's were snapping up ex Blockbuster stores as the locations worked out quite well.

It wouldn't happen where I live, as the ex Blockbuster store is right next to the main Sainsbury's, but I can see the logic.
  • SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Northerly wrote: »
    no

one

cares

The people who are now unemployed care, even if you don't.
  • SJ_MentalSJ_Mental Posts: 16,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MP3_4_Life wrote: »
    You from Worthing by any chance?

No I'm from Ramsgate.
  • fhs man 2fhs man 2 Posts: 7,591
    Forum Member
    Aberdeen final Blockbuster will be closing soon.
  • DisturbedDisturbed Posts: 306
    Forum Member
    SULLA wrote: »
    The people who are now unemployed care, even if you don't.

I wonder how many of the assumed beforehand that JSA claimants were 'scroungers' eh. Oh the irony.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 876
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What was my local Blockbuster store is due to be knocked down next year. I hadn't been in there for about two years or so.
  • mountymounty Posts: 19,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    it's a shame for the employees

but if a company doesnt move with the times then it's inevitable! They should have bought into Love Film or one of the competitors when that first started up