Do you lift weights?

Comments

• Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes I do, and in fact did so earlier this week and I can still feel the aching from it all! :)

Haha I know the feeling, I spend most of my life in pain! What did you train?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DaisyBill wrote: »
    I work out with dumb bells at home, just exercises I've found on you tube . I only have 6kgs on each side, so I don't know if it really counts as weight lifting, but I think it has improved my body. I can really notice it on my arms - no bingo wings!
    I might get into it a bit more at the gym (I said that last year though, Lol)

There are plenty of exercises you can do at home, but if you find a good gym, I don't think you will look back. Taking that first step is hard though! I always recommend going with a friend, as it helps motivate you more :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sodavlac wrote: »
    I do think I've always had naturally strong legs. Been overweight most of my life and at school I was average speed when running about despite often weighing about 3st more than most of the kids. I was never the fastest but I wasn't the slowest either. Playing football I'd usually have one the hardest shots etc. and my thighs have always been big to look at (well they will be at this weight anyway, but you know what I mean).

Btw, I haven't been able to keep the weight off and am pretty much back where I started. :blush: Started cutting back on the food again recently so I'll see how it goes.

It sounds like you're one of these naturally big/strong guys, who still could be very fit even at a bigger weight. I guess you just have to find some kind of exercise you enjoy. If you have such strong legs I think you would be good at kickboxing!
  • Jay BigzJay Bigz Posts: 5,338
    Forum Member
    I knew you'd post :p

How long have you been training?

That's a good chest press you have there. What's your current weight and bodyfat and what is your ideal? Is strength or are aesthetics more important?

Haha, it was pretty obvious I would :D

Only been seriously training since January of this year - everything before then was just on and off. So about 7 months straight now without more than a few days off. Started off lifting 10kg dumbbells on the chest press, so to be at 38kg now feels great - proper progress.

Current weight - 11 stone 4 pounds
    Current body fat percentage - 10%

Ideal weight - Not fussed
    Ideal body fat percentage - 7%

At the moment I'd say aesthetics as I'm training to get down to a certain level of 'lean' but I've truly started to enjoy lifting (which I didn't think would happen) so once I'm down to around 7/8% BF, I'll be ready to start really focusing on strength building and getting abit bigger. Just one step at a time for me :p

Any tips for cutting?? I always do so well until I reach the 5 or 6 day mark and then I end up having a little junk splurge which sets me back a couple of days (nothing like the mental cheat days I used to have though :o:D)

My body really doesn't seem to want to get rid of that last little bit of 'fat' I have which is mainly on the lower chest area, and covering my two lower abs - to most others they'd say 'what fat' but for anybody trying to get shredded it's blatant :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lil_M wrote: »
    Always do a half an hour to an hour cardio workout then do 1 1/2 to 2 hours on weights either early morning or after work.

It feels good and plus the gym I go to is a sanctuary, a haven for me, especially this get away from racism.

I don't know what racism you suffer in your life (sorry that you do), but I do agree that gyms are generally very multicultural places. People from all walks of life come to train.
  • warszawawarszawa Posts: 4,437
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes. Half hour weights followed by half hour cardio 3 times a week. Plus cycling and swimming once a week. Eating well and making progress.
  • Lil_MLil_M Posts: 2,105
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't know what racism you suffer in your life (sorry that you do), but I do agree that gyms are generally very multicultural places. People from all walks of life come to train.

Gyms are amazing, people are just like your family. It so relaxing and I feel equal.
  • RebelScumRebelScum Posts: 16,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sounds pretty intense :)

Do you train for any sports, or is it simply for the love of it? What keeps you motivated? Do you have specific goals when you train?

I don't tend to need motivation really, I just see it as a way of life. As natural a part of my day as, say, brushing my teeth. I don't see it as something extra I do. I grew up in Spain, the school I attended was very sports orientated. We did everything football, basketball, athletics, tennis, you name it we did it. After school I started TaeKwonDo, that was also very intense, being a military martial art there's a lot of emphasis on discipline and fitness. I'm "retired" from TKD now, although I do still practice to stay sharp and supple. I don't have any big goals as such other than to keep improving on my results at the gym. I entered lots of competitions during my TKD days, so I'm over the need to compete.
  • TrollHunterTrollHunter Posts: 12,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've gone through stages over the past 20 years, from training 10+ times a week (morning and night), to working in the fitness industry, to no training whatsoever. I'm currently doing the latter, mostly from lack of motivation partly from lack of time.

Aiming to start again in Sept, we'll see. Will maintain a predominantly weights based routine but will increase the reps considerably to focus on more CV-based training. Any strength and muscle mass increase will be a bonus.

PBs are:
    Bench (the only one that really matters!!) - 150kg x 1, 100kg x 14
    Shirted Bench (attempt) - 180kg x 2 fails
    Squat - 150kg x 1
    High Box Squat - 180kg x 1
    Front Box Squat - 143kg x 1
    Deadlift - 230kg
    Overhead Press - 100kg x 8 reps
    Log Lift - 100kg x 1
  • BinaryDadBinaryDad Posts: 3,988
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Weights twice a week, with leg core and back once a week. Plus an average of 7k walking per day. I'm a short arse at 5'6" weighing 78kg and I have no idea what my BMI or body fat ratio is. I'm trim though...with a 30 inch waist.

My current training schedule looks a little like this with some variation now and again. Sorry for the length and detail :)

Monday
    Stretching, 10 Minute cardio warm up.
    3 x 8 Pull-ups
    3 x 12 Leg Press @ 13kg
    3 x 10 Priest Dumb bell Curls @ 22kg (Just bumped up from 20...pretty tough atm)
    3 x 10 Hammer curls @ 22kg
    3 x 12 Shoulder shrugs @ 24kg
    3 x 10 Chest Press @ 60kg
    3 x 10 Lat Pull @ 60kg
    3 x 10 Bicep Pull @ 50kg
    10 Minute cardio warm down

Wednesday
    Stretching, 10 Minute cardio warm up.
    3 x 8 Pull-ups
    3 x 12 Leg Press @ 13kg
    3 x 10 Military press with kettle bell @ 16kg (a lot tougher than it sounds)
    3 x 16 Kettle Bell swing @ 16 kg
    3 x 10 Leg extension @ 40kg
    3 x 10 Leg Curl @ 40kg
    3 x 10 Squat @ 40kg (this is the max the bar bell will go up to at the gym)
    3 x 15 Press ups (last set is always a killer)
    10 Minute cardio warn down

Friday
    Belly and back power course at the gym. 45 minutes of absolute torture. The first time, I could barely walk the day after or stand up straight. It was so bad that I had to skip the Monday training.
  • darkjedimasterdarkjedimaster Posts: 18,621
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Started at a local gym about 3 weeks now, been going 3-4 times a week. Only been doing cardio in the form of 2 treadmill sessions each time set on fat burner at the speed level of between 5.5 & 6, so in a sense a brisk walk for 24 minutes per go. I am unable to jog or run on the treadmill as due to my brain condition I tend to go all over the place like I am drunk, so stick to the brisk walk. This results in a total of just over 2km and about 125 calories burnt per go, so almost 5km and 250 calories per gym session, if the reading on the treadmill is accurate. I also do 2000m on the rowing machine on every other day, but this will also hopefully get longer as I get more fit.

I am not able to use the stepping machines as I seem to get really dizzy on them even after a couple minutes, but can do 48 minutes walk on the treadmill & am not allowed to use the free weights in case I have a blackout. However once I burn some more fat and get down from overweight to within a healthy weight range, then I intend to use the resistance equipment to tone & gain some muscle.

I am currently just over 12st and my height is 5ft 5" (Short arse I know), so think that I need to get down to about 10st 7lb to be within a healthy range. I am going away next week for a few days, but upon my return I will be booking an appointment with one of the personal trainers to get a workout plan drawn up, so that I am able to reach my goals.

As for food, I have gotten that down to the ground, with a small bowl of cereal with skimmed milk and a glass of pure orange juice for breakfast. Some fruit and a fruit smoothie for lunch & then a salad for dinner, which normally consists of Lettuce, tomato, spring onion, cucumber, crab sticks, red / green chill's or radish's, baby spinach, small jacket potato with low fat margarine & then either steamed cod / haddock or skinless chicken breast. Even with a small jacket potato, I am often unable to finish it.

I normally have salads 6 days a week & then on the 7th day I have a low fat curry about 1.4g of saturated fat, with a jacket potato as a treat. Once it gets too cold for salads, I will have a similar meal but with steamed veg, which is limited as I cannot stand carrots cauliflower & am allergic to broccoli, I do however like raw cabbage.

I have also dramatically reduced fizzy drinks and have replaced them with Green tea with lemon or no added sugar fruit juices.
  • U96U96 Posts: 13,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I frequently lift beer bottles.

Muscle bound mirth.:p
  • Lil_MLil_M Posts: 2,105
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Started at a local gym about 3 weeks now, been going 3-4 times a week. Only been doing cardio in the form of 2 treadmill sessions each time set on fat burner at the speed level of between 5.5 & 6, so in a sense a brisk walk for 24 minutes per go. I am unable to jog or run on the treadmill as due to my brain condition I tend to go all over the place like I am drunk, so stick to the brisk walk. This results in a total of just over 2km and about 125 calories burnt per go, so almost 5km and 250 calories per gym session, if the reading on the treadmill is accurate. I also do 2000m on the rowing machine on every other day, but this will also hopefully get longer as I get more fit.

I am not able to use the stepping machines as I seem to get really dizzy on them even after a couple minutes, but can do 48 minutes walk on the treadmill & am not allowed to use the free weights in case I have a blackout. However once I burn some more fat and get down from overweight to within a healthy weight range, then I intend to use the resistance equipment to tone & gain some muscle.

I am currently just over 12st and my height is 5ft 5" (Short arse I know), so think that I need to get down to about 10st 7lb to be within a healthy range. I am going away next week for a few days, but upon my return I will be booking an appointment with one of the personal trainers to get a workout plan drawn up, so that I am able to reach my goals.

As for food, I have gotten that down to the ground, with a small bowl of cereal with skimmed milk and a glass of pure orange juice for breakfast. Some fruit and a fruit smoothie for lunch & then a salad for dinner, which normally consists of Lettuce, tomato, spring onion, cucumber, crab sticks, red / green chill's or radish's, baby spinach, small jacket potato with low fat margarine & then either steamed cod / haddock or skinless chicken breast. Even with a small jacket potato, I am often unable to finish it.

I normally have salads 6 days a week & then on the 7th day I have a low fat curry about 1.4g of saturated fat, with a jacket potato as a treat. Once it gets too cold for salads, I will have a similar meal but with steamed veg, which is limited as I cannot stand carrots cauliflower & am allergic to broccoli, I do however like raw cabbage.

I have also dramatically reduced fizzy drinks and have replaced them with Green tea with lemon or no added sugar fruit juices.

When, I first started, I was daunted by big muscle bound guys. To be honest,they didn't getthat size over night and they werr probably me back then and like you now.

It takes time, dedication and work and it pays off.

It is 80% diet and 20% gym. When you are at the gym, the key thing is technique and not how much weight you can do. It is not embarrassing in the slightest if you have no weight as getting the technique is key.

For that reaskn (above), I loved going to the gym as I wasn't daunted. People were welcoming.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 237
    Forum Member
    Yes I do,I go to crossfit and I love it. I only started in January and improving on my weights all the time, brought myself some weightlifting shoes :) some people are shocked when I tell them I weight lift as I am small built and a girl :D

I do (current Pb)
    Snatches (18.5kg)
    Clean and jerk (17kg)
    Deadlifts (45kg)
    Back squats (37.5kg - 1 repmax)
    Front squats (35kg - 3 repmax pause squat)
    Overhead squats (7kg)
    Power clean (25kg)
    Thursters (17kg)
    Push press (19.5kg)
  • Carbon ProductsCarbon Products Posts: 177
    Forum Member
    Yep but just deads, squats and overheads. I do trampoline and archery so I like to keep myself in shape.

Deadlift - 50kg
    Squats - 25kg
    Overhead press - 20kg.
  • darkjedimasterdarkjedimaster Posts: 18,621
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When, I first started, I was daunted by big muscle bound guys. To be honest,they didn't getthat size over night and they werr probably me back then and like you now.

It is 80% diet and 20% gym. When you are at the gym, the key thing is technique and not how much weight you can do. It is not embarrassing in the slightest if you have no weight as getting the technique is key.

For that reaskn (above), I loved going to the gym as I wasn't daunted. People were welcoming.

Thanks for the tip :). In all honesty I have joined gyms in the past and never gave them a proper shot, I wasn't overweight that badly as such, but I was a heavy smoker & preferred takeaways to preparing my own healthier foods. Now that I have been smoke free for 8 months, I decided to join a gym & for the first time ever I got the motivation to get into shape. My local gym is only just under a 10 minute walk from where I live & cost is very reasonable at £17 per month unlimited use 24/7, but most importantly I look forward to going there each day, which sounds crazy I know, but I love it, just stick on my mp3 player and the hour passes by so quickly when exercising to my own playlist.

Time I am willing to put in as I am decicated to getting into shape, however it cannot be rushed as I do have a condition, so will go at a pace that works for me, it could take months to get rid of my gut and moobs, but it is something that I want to do. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've gone through stages over the past 20 years, from training 10+ times a week (morning and night), to working in the fitness industry, to no training whatsoever. I'm currently doing the latter, mostly from lack of motivation partly from lack of time.

Aiming to start again in Sept, we'll see. Will maintain a predominantly weights based routine but will increase the reps considerably to focus on more CV-based training. Any strength and muscle mass increase will be a bonus.

PBs are:
    Bench (the only one that really matters!!) - 150kg x 1, 100kg x 14
    Shirted Bench (attempt) - 180kg x 2 fails
    Squat - 150kg x 1
    High Box Squat - 180kg x 1
    Front Box Squat - 143kg x 1
    Deadlift - 230kg
    Overhead Press - 100kg x 8 reps
    Log Lift - 100kg x 1

Nice lifting mate. What kind of bodyweight were you when doing those lifts?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Exactly. Many people may find gyms daunting initially, but in reality they are usually very welcoming and friendly places.
  • BelfastGuy125BelfastGuy125 Posts: 7,515
    Forum Member
    Use weight machines. Not for strength more for looks for my own sense of satisfaction.

Used to be 16 and a half stone now 11 and a half so I need to tighten up my upper body especially.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jay Bigz wrote: »
    Haha, it was pretty obvious I would :D

Only been seriously training since January of this year - everything before then was just on and off. So about 7 months straight now without more than a few days off. Started off lifting 10kg dumbbells on the chest press, so to be at 38kg now feels great - proper progress.

Current weight - 11 stone 4 pounds
    Current body fat percentage - 10%

Ideal weight - Not fussed
    Ideal body fat percentage - 7%

At the moment I'd say aesthetics as I'm training to get down to a certain level of 'lean' but I've truly started to enjoy lifting (which I didn't think would happen) so once I'm down to around 7/8% BF, I'll be ready to start really focusing on strength building and getting abit bigger. Just one step at a time for me :p

Any tips for cutting?? I always do so well until I reach the 5 or 6 day mark and then I end up having a little junk splurge which sets me back a couple of days (nothing like the mental cheat days I used to have though :o:D)

My body really doesn't seem to want to get rid of that last little bit of 'fat' I have which is mainly on the lower chest area, and covering my two lower abs - to most others they'd say 'what fat' but for anybody trying to get shredded it's blatant :D

When your getting down to the single figures bodyfat, you really need to have your diet on point and be doing extra cardio. It'd important to watch your carb and salt intake too.

Have you tried doing steady state fasting cardio? So 45-60 mins each morning, before you have eaten anything? Nothing intense, just a brisk incline walk or walk with a weighted vest on?
  • TrollHunterTrollHunter Posts: 12,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nice lifting mate. What kind of bodyweight were you when doing those lifts?

About 16½ stone / 105kg. Still had around a 34" waist, no sign of abs!!
    Now down to 15 stone, same or slightly larger waist. Go figure!
    Height 6' FWiW.
  • idlewildeidlewilde Posts: 8,698
    Forum Member
    Yes. I have a pro-bench at home with 7' bar and other bars and dumbells. Not as much fun though as lying on the living room floor and bench-pressing my five year old who, bless him, lies dead straight and watches TV as I lift him up and down. :D
  • SaigoSaigo Posts: 7,893
    Forum Member
    I bet you must be laughing when the latest obesity statistics are announced! :D

He is probably in those stats due to a high BMI...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Saigo wrote: »
    He is probably in those stats due to a high BMI...

Haha very true :)
  • TeddybleadsTeddybleads Posts: 6,814
    Forum Member
    Yes, yes I do. half hour cardio, half hour weight machines three times a week. I usually do

Ab Crunch Machine at 45K
    Butterfly - 72K
    Shoulder Press - 30k ( and it kills me).
    Bench Press 50K
    Another sort of bench press I don't know the name of 50K
    Ab crunch 45K
    bicep curl - 40K
    back of the arms thing which is a bit like milking a cow - 50K
    the one where you squeeze two pads together with your arms at right angles - 60K
    The pull down bar - 55K
    The other pull down one ( might be vertical trac) - 65K
    Something about stationary rowing - 45K

As you can tell, I'm a compete aficionado who takes it all very seriously. Not really achieving the body beautiful but I'm very happy with how I look and it works for me. We don't all want to be Charles Atlas, some of us would settle for Charles Asnavour.