The Missing

Comments

• xendesktopxendesktop Posts: 526
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Josephinus wrote: »
    What I still can't work out is how Tony knows that Ian knows Bourg?!!! Did I miss something?

The reuse of phrases/idioms... plus the fact that Ian Garrett is constantly trying to stop him looking into Vincent. You'd have to be a bit thick not to realise what's going on if you were in his situation.
  • bratwurztbratwurzt Posts: 2,707
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What I still can't work out is how Tony knows that Ian knows Bourg?!!! Did I miss something?

Clearly.
    The_Bonobo wrote: »
    Indeed. Bourg says "a friend once told me his father said on his death bed" then later
    Garrett says his father told him on his death bed.
  • Mitu_PappiMitu_Pappi Posts: 1,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Guilt is like a cancer. You can treat its symptoms but not the cause.

Both of them said these words last night. Hence they know each other.

Yes i agree its a tenuous and crazy bit of revelatory writing. But this story is full of these things.
  • RichmondBlueRichmondBlue Posts: 21,279
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    via_487 wrote: »
    I don't think that Emily's reactions are strange at all. I think that Frances O'Connor is playing her as a very troubled person, constantly on the verge of sinking into a deep depression (or, as used to be called, 'a nervous breakdown').
    That's why Mark has been so scared of upsetting her. He knows her recovery has been fragile. And perhaps Emily's lack of reaction is a safety net to keep her sane?

I don't even want to think about one of my children going missing. I like to think I would be strong and do all I could to help find them, but the truth is, I could just as easily collapse from grief. No one knows until it happens to them.

As to the drawing. Olly did it for his dad, so naturally Emily gave it to him. I see nothing strange there either.

I've tried to see her behaviour in the way you say, but I'm still finding her reactions very strange at times. Take last night's episode, Tony comes rushing back to tell her that he's found a connection between Garrett and the paedophile, Bourg. Emily appears to be barely interested, Tony almost has to beg to get her attention. Even then she doesn't seem anxious to know what he's found out. Don't forget, this was still 2006, at that time she didn't have the excuse that it was just Tony being obsessive.
    She appears to have wanted to remain detached from the investigation almost from the start. There seems to be more of a grim acceptance that their son has gone forever and there's little they can do about it. But perhaps that's not an uncommon reaction, I don't know.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The_Bonobo wrote: »
    Indeed. Bourg says "a friend once told me his father said on his death bed" then later
    Garrett says his father told him on his death bed.

I had thought at first Bourg had said his grandfather had said to him (for some reason)
    and was thinking maybe Garrett is Bourg's father. Then maybe he is just protecting his
    deviant son but is not dodgy himself.

Oh well. But I still think it might be that he is actually innocent of wrong doing.

Or maybe Ian was abused by his father who admitted his guilt on his deathbed. Hence going by the sentence ' guilt is like a cancer you can treat the symptoms and not the cause' maybe Ian wants to treat the cause (paedophilia) of the guilt ie by paying for his friends therapy in England.
  • jsmith99jsmith99 Posts: 20,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    auddem wrote: »
    ..........................I hope it doesn't end up like the Irish missing drama Amber that was shown on BBC3 I think. That had a terrible ending.

I think I noticed the name in the TV schedule, but assumed it was the film about the missing girl who gave her name to the "Amber Alert".

Was it a different one?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,367
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    xendesktop wrote: »
    The reuse of phrases/idioms... plus the fact that Ian Garrett is constantly trying to stop him looking into Vincent. You'd have to be a bit thick not to realise what's going on if you were in his situation.

I was quite impressed that they didn't have Tony immediately acting all suspicious around Garrett and alerting him to the connection he had made. Usually in drama series that's exactly what happens.
  • Virgil TracyVirgil Tracy Posts: 26,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I must admit I was a bit confused the first half-hour , I didn't realise the teacher in the present was the junkie in 2006 ( she was wasn't she ?)
    but what info does she have about the missing kid ? don't get that .
  • linmiclinmic Posts: 13,425
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jsmith99 wrote: »
    I think I noticed the name in the TV schedule, but assumed it was the film about the missing girl who gave her name to the "Amber Alert".

Was it a different one?

I think the Amber Alert was named after an American girl who went missing.

'On January 13, 1996, nine-year-old Amber Rene Hagerman (November 25, 1986 – January 17, 1996) was abducted while riding her bike in Arlington, Texas.[17] A neighbor who witnessed the abduction called the police, and Amber's brother Ricky went home to tell his mother and grandparents what happened. On hearing the news, Amber's father Richard called Marc Klaas, whose daughter Polly had been abducted and murdered in 1993.

Richard Hagerman and Amber's mother, Donna Whitson (now Donna Norris), called the news media and the FBI. The Whitsons and their neighbors began searching for Amber. Four days after the abduction, a man walking his dog found her body in a storm drainage ditch. Her killer was never found, and her homicide remains unsolved.'
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I must admit I was a bit confused the first half-hour , I didn't realise the teacher in the present was the junkie in 2006 ( she was wasn't she ?)

Yeah, it's the same person.

As far as I recall, her link is this:

2006: She was the boyfriend of the undercover police officer who was killed at the train station. The undercover officer had alluded to a sex trafficking operation but was killed before he could uncover it in detail. Baptiste is using her to get to the heart of the operation. She's going to end up in danger though, and presumably have her throat cut like her boyfriend, but survive the attack (which is why she always wears a scarf around her neck in 2014).

2014: I can't QUITE remember the link here. Baptiste and Tony go to see her because I think perhaps the driver from the cleaning company in 2006, who they haven't yet been able to locate in 2014, is linked to the gang that she used to be involved with. I'm not completely sure about that, though.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

She has information about the Romanian traffickers, the gang they think could be responsible. But she has to return to Paris to get it apparently.
  • FrankBTFrankBT Posts: 4,218
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The cleaning guy watching Ziane looks like the same person seen walking by the swimming pool in ep1 (17:30) when Ollie and Dad are swimming.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mitu_Pappi wrote: »
    Or maybe Ian was abused by his father who admitted his guilt on his deathbed. Hence going by the sentence ' guilt is like a cancer you can treat the symptoms and not the cause' maybe Ian wants to treat the cause (paedophilia) of the guilt ie by paying for his friends therapy in England.

No, I don't buy that one. He told Bourg to get lost, never to contact him again. Garrett wanted him out of the way for some reason.
    I'm going back to one of my earlier theories. Maybe the boy is still alive and with Garrett. The mother knows this but has been warned not to tell anyone if she wants the boy to remain safe. This would also explain her strange reluctance to help Tony during the eight years Ollie has been missing.
    What lets that down is that Tony (in the present day) is apparently satisfied that Garrett had nothing to do with it, and he doesn't appear to have attempted to find Bourg in those eight years. But we left him last night in 2006 with Garrett and Bourg as his main two suspects ?
    But I suppose the remaining episodes will neatly explain everything, and we'll wonder how we missed the obvious. :)
  • sallysparrowsallysparrow Posts: 21
    Forum Member
    Daisy_Duke wrote: »
    Yes, I agree with all of that.

I too find the acting of Tcheky Karyo as Julien Baptiste excellent. I find his scenes quite special to watch. Having looked him up via Google, I see he is an acclaimed musician as well.

Like a few on here, I have never really watched anything with James Nesbitt in [not since Cold Feet], but he has been quite impressive in this drama.

I'm hoping the Beeb put it out on DVD so I can watch it through at leisure to see what clues I missed. Cannot wait until next week.
  • RecordPlayerRecordPlayer Posts: 22,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    FrankBT wrote: »
    The cleaning guy watching Ziane looks like the same person seen walking by the swimming pool in ep1 (17:30) when Ollie and Dad are swimming.

Yes he does! I was going to post the same thing but you beat me to it. :(:)

Wasn't it his photo that Baptiste was showing the teacher? She recognised him but didn't want to admit it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 371
    Forum Member
    I've tried to see her behaviour in the way you say, but I'm still finding her reactions very strange at times. Take last night's episode, Tony comes rushing back to tell her that he's found a connection between Garrett and the paedophile, Bourg. Emily appears to be barely interested, Tony almost has to beg to get her attention. Even then she doesn't seem anxious to know what he's found out. Don't forget, this was still 2006, at that time she didn't have the excuse that it was just Tony being obsessive.
    She appears to have wanted to remain detached from the investigation almost from the start. There seems to be more of a grim acceptance that their son has gone forever and there's little they can do about it. But perhaps that's not an uncommon reaction, I don't know.

Yes, I agree with you, I found her reaction in that scene strange as well.
  • RecordPlayerRecordPlayer Posts: 22,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jsmith99 wrote: »

Was it a different one?

Wasn't it about the girl Amber who went missing after her dad dropped her off at her grandparents house? She travelled into town and went went shopping instead.
    The ending annoyed a lot of people because her disappearance was never solved.
  • scoobiesnacksscoobiesnacks Posts: 3,055
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    auddem wrote: »
    Re: the cancer line, I only heard Bourg say it to the doc who was injecting him, how did Tony know he said it?

He said it when tony saw him fishing
  • Enfant TerribleEnfant Terrible Posts: 4,391
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She's going to end up in danger though, and presumably have her throat cut like her boyfriend, but survive the attack (which is why she always wears a scarf around her neck in 2014).

That is extremely well spotted!
    Initially I couldn't quite understand why she reacted so angrily to Julien saying "I'll keep you safe" because I thought that was exactly what he had done by getting her off the gear and giving her a new life.

Your interpretation re the scarf makes perfect sense.
  • celialambcelialamb Posts: 11
    Forum Member
    this is why I have come to this forum, (no one I know is watching the missing), I don't understand how Tony can make the link, between Ian Garret & Vincent?
  • TrishaSTrishaS Posts: 3,176
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I too find the acting of Tcheky Karyo as Julien Baptiste excellent. I find his scenes quite special to watch. Having looked him up via Google, I see he is an acclaimed musician as well.

Like a few on here, I have never really watched anything with James Nesbitt in [not since Cold Feet], but he has been quite impressive in this drama.

I'm hoping the Beeb put it out on DVD so I can watch it through at leisure to see what clues I missed. Cannot wait until next week.

BIB I'm hoping they do also as I've given up watching. I keep missing bits and getting confused so it would be great to sit down and watch it again :)
  • Enfant TerribleEnfant Terrible Posts: 4,391
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TrishaS wrote: »
    BIB I'm hoping they do also as I've given up watching. I keep missing bits and getting confused so it would be great to sit down and watch it again :)

That's one of the reasons I like it so much - it's a real brain teaser. Look away for 5 seconds and you'll have missed something. In that respect it is very different from 99% of crime/cop shows on TV.

The only other one I can think of where you seriously have to concentrate is Sherlock. Love it!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    celialamb wrote: »
    this is why I have come to this forum, (no one I know is watching the missing), I don't understand how Tony can make the link, between Ian Garret & Vincent?

When Tony confronted Vincent at the lake, Vincent said: "Someone once told me his father said to him on his deathbed, guilt is like a cancer - you can treat the symptoms bht never the cause."

Later in the episode, Tony went to see Garrett. After Garrett described his daughter's supposed disappearance, he said: "I remember advice my old man gave me. On his deathbed, he told me he'd regretted it, and said guilt is like a cancer. You can treat the symptoms, but never the cause."

Tony has made the connection from that, and the coincidence of charitable Garrett turning up and inserting himself into the case when Vincent was in the frame.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That is extremely well spotted!
    Initially I couldn't quite understand why she reacted so angrily to Julien saying "I'll keep you safe" because I thought that was exactly what he had done by getting her off the gear and giving her a new life.

Your interpretation re the scarf makes perfect sense.

Not forgetting that a scarf is a perennial french accessory including for men. A walk in any Parisienne street will bring this practise to the fore to much amusement amongst brits. :)
  • myssmyss Posts: 16,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Problem with being a week between episodes is you forget so much. I couldn't remember if the undercover cop was killed in the present or in 2006 until Julien turned up sans beard. It's quite a challenge keeping up with the time changes.

I didn't think there was much new tonight apart from Tony finding out that Ian and Bourg knew each other.
    I agree with you, I think the problem is not only forgetting what happened so far, it's being so much more to remember. It's as if every line, look, movement, aspect, etc may now mean something to the point that so many theories are been made out of them on this thread alone and some are even watching the episode more than once. Each to their own I guess, I'm just going to focus on the hard facts, I've too much going on to take a magnifying glass to each scene.
    Diane wrote: »
    I'm so confused with it going backwards and forwards, haven't got a clue what's going on tbh lol just want to know if they get their little boy back.
    This is where I am too, watching out of curiosity to see what happens at the end. :)