Manchester - Local Freeview Multiplex - Information Thread

Comments

• Ray CathodeRay Cathode Posts: 13,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Greebo wrote: »
    As title, I just tried the dvbtools scan command, and it has dug out the name - "CAPITAL TV" for the new channel that isn't yet being broadcast.

If you can view the contents of the NIT and / or SDT, then channel name & LCN should be found there, whether it has a PMT entry or not.
  • GreeboGreebo Posts: 1,418
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The channel names appear to be stored in the SDT which is PID 17 - and isn't a PID that my scripts regularly check as the automated stuff is just supposed to alert me to significant changes.

Here's what the entire packet related to the Manchester Mux looks like (captured from the HD mux):
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    SECT-Packet: 00000008   PID: 17 (0x0011), Length: 115 (0x0073)
    Time received: Mon 2012-10-15  17:18:45.637
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    PID:  17 (0x0011)  [= assigned for: DVB Service Description Table (SDT), Bouquet Association Table (BAT)]

Guess table from table id...
    SDT-decoding....
    Table_ID: 70 (0x46)  [= Service Description Table (SDT) - other transport stream]
    section_syntax_indicator: 1 (0x01)
    reserved_1: 1 (0x01)
    reserved_2: 3 (0x03)
    Section_length: 112 (0x0070)
    Transport_Stream_ID: 29697 (0x7401)
    reserved_3: 3 (0x03)
    Version_number: 8 (0x08)
    current_next_indicator: 1 (0x01)  [= valid now]
    Section_number: 0 (0x00)
    Last_Section_number: 0 (0x00)
    Original_network_ID:  9018 (0x233a)  [= UK Digital Terrestrial Television | Independent Television Commission]
    reserved_4: 255 (0xff)

Service_id: 29761 (0x7441)  [=  --> refers to PMT program_number]
        reserved_1: 63 (0x3f)
        EIT_schedule_flag: 1 (0x01)
        EIT_present_following_flag: 1 (0x01)
        Running_status: 4 (0x04)  [= running]
        Free_CA_mode: 0 (0x00)  [= unscrambled]
        Descriptors_loop_length: 15 (0x000f)

DVB-DescriptorTag: 72 (0x48)  [= service_descriptor]
                descriptor_length: 13 (0x0d)
                service_type: 1 (0x01)  [= digital television service]
                service_provider_name_length: 0 (0x00)
                service_provider_name: ""
                service_name_length: 10 (0x0a)
                Service_name: "movies4men"  -- Charset: Latin alphabet

Service_id: 29825 (0x7481)  [=  --> refers to PMT program_number]
        Descriptors_loop_length: 14 (0x000e)

descriptor_length: 12 (0x0c)
                service_name_length: 9 (0x09)
                Service_name: "mov4men+1"  -- Charset: Latin alphabet

Service_id: 29889 (0x74c1)  [=  --> refers to PMT program_number]
        Descriptors_loop_length: 13 (0x000d)

descriptor_length: 11 (0x0b)
                service_name_length: 8 (0x08)
                Service_name: "SONY SAB"  -- Charset: Latin alphabet

Service_id: 29953 (0x7501)  [=  --> refers to PMT program_number]
        Descriptors_loop_length: 18 (0x0012)

descriptor_length: 16 (0x10)
                service_name_length: 13 (0x0d)
                Service_name: "ARGOS TV 24/7"  -- Charset: Latin alphabet

Service_id: 30017 (0x7541)  [=  --> refers to PMT program_number]
        EIT_schedule_flag: 0 (0x00)
        EIT_present_following_flag: 0 (0x00)
        Descriptors_loop_length: 15 (0x000f)

descriptor_length: 13 (0x0d)
                service_name_length: 10 (0x0a)
                Service_name: "CAPITAL TV"  -- Charset: Latin alphabet

CRC: 2818664786 (0xa8016952)

Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I suppose the timing of this new channel Freeview Manchester launch CAPITAL TV coincides with its launch a few days ago on satellite, proving that the Manchester Network is sourced from 28.2ºE off air.

Will the 6th stream be HEART TV? :D:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Will the 6th stream be HEART TV? :D:D

That certainly seems plausible if Global Radio haven't got a paying customer lined up in the wings. I'm assuming that Global are now the mux owner since they took over GMG Radio.

I've now had chance to have a hack at the SDT, so I should get an alert if any of the channel names change or new ones appear. One strange thing is that the SDT from Winter Hill includes entries for S4/C, BBC ONE Wales, BBC TWO Wales, ITV1 Wales, Radio Wales and Radio Cymru. I don't really have any explanations for this, though it is clearly not an issue. Do any other regions have spurious data in their SDTs? Maybe it is something to do with Storeton's 3 extra muxes pointing at Wales? (Not that I'm receiving from Storeton)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That certainly seems plausible if Global Radio haven't got a paying customer lined up in the wings. I'm assuming that Global are now the mux owner since they took over GMG Radio.

I've now had chance to have a hack at the SDT, so I should get an alert if any of the channel names change or new ones appear. One strange thing is that the SDT from Winter Hill includes entries for S4/C, BBC ONE Wales, BBC TWO Wales, ITV1 Wales, Radio Wales and Radio Cymru. I don't really have any explanations for this, though it is clearly not an issue. Do any other regions have spurious data in their SDTs? Maybe it is something to do with Storeton's 3 extra muxes pointing at Wales? (Not that I'm receiving from Storeton)

Global did not buy the Channel M mux and transmitter hardware; a subsidiary of Canis Media did. There was a reference to it somewhere; maybe on this thread!

I think that certain N Wales coastal viewers are supposed to receive PSB muxes from Storeton Wales (relay of Moel y Parc) with COM from Winter Hill. Hence the possibility of duplicating PSB regional channels from Winter Hill.

BTW do you get CAPITAL TV as a placeholder on LCN790 (or whatever) if you scan the local Gtr Manchester mux?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BTW do you get CAPITAL TV as a placeholder on LCN790 (or whatever) if you scan the local Gtr Manchester mux?

Yes, I did try scanning one box earlier and 790 appeared named as CAPITAL TV. Obviously there was just a black screen, and info showed all PIDs as zero.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, I did try scanning one box earlier and 790 appeared named as CAPITAL TV.

To follow that up, a couple of Samsung TVs that I've tried seem to skip 790 (and now 791, 792 both from ARQA) when rescanning. So not all devices show these temporary empty LCNs.
  • chrisychrisy Posts: 9,419
    Forum Member
    Global did not buy the Channel M mux and transmitter hardware; a subsidiary of Canis Media did. There was a reference to it somewhere; maybe on this thread!

http://mobile.twitter.com/ukdtt/status/251024896245768193
    @ukdtt wrote:
    Former Channel M mux officially transferred to Entertainment TV Ltd aka @CanisMedia http://spectruminfo.ofcom.org.uk/spectrumInfo/trades?tradeRef=2138491 #freeview#localtv

7:26pm Wed Sep 26

Don't think it made it to this thread, but hey, it's here now!
  • a516a516 Posts: 5,241
    Forum Member
    chrisy wrote: »
    Your link takes me to a blank page (as it did when it was posted on Twitter), however http://spectruminfo.ofcom.org.uk/spectrumInfo/trades?tradeRef=2219132 shows the details
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CAPITAL TV is now running - LCN 56. The video and audio PIDs appeared approx 11:25 , so about 25 minutes after the LCN changes.
  • ozsatozsat Posts: 5,739
    Forum Member
    CAPITAL TV is now running - LCN 56. The video and audio PIDs appeared approx 11:25 , so about 25 minutes after the LCN changes.
    May I ask what is the current Manchester line-up?

Wasn't Movies4Men on 56?
  • Martin PhillpMartin Phillp Posts: 34,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ozsat wrote: »

Movies4Men and +1
    Sony SAB TV.
    Argos TV 24/7
    Capital TV.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ozsat wrote: »
    51 movies4men
    52 mov4men+1
    53 SONY SAB
    54 ARGOS TV 24/7
    (55 is a national Argos channel with limited hours)
    56 CAPITAL TV

The delay to moving the HD channels up to 101-104 meant that the relaunch of the G_MAN mux had to use temporary numbers 56-59.
  • ozsatozsat Posts: 5,739
    Forum Member
    Thank you
    51 movies4men
    52 mov4men+1
    53 SONY SAB
    54 ARGOS TV 24/7
    (55 is a national Argos channel with limited hours)
    56 CAPITAL TV

The delay to moving the HD channels up to 101-104 meant that the relaunch of the G_MAN mux had to use temporary numbers 56-59.
  • paul_mpaul_m Posts: 1,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Movies4Men and +1
    Sony SAB TV.
    Argos TV 24/7
    Capital TV.
    Considering it's just a local mux and I was expecting it to be full of the lowest of the low shopping channels, I think that's a pretty decent line up.
    Forum Member
    a516 wrote: »
    Your link takes me to a blank page (as it did when it was posted on Twitter), however http://spectruminfo.ofcom.org.uk/spectrumInfo/trades?tradeRef=2219132 shows the details

There's something weird with Ofcom's site as both of those are blank for me now.

This is the licence itself, maybe this link will continue to work:
    http://spectruminfo.ofcom.org.uk/spectrumInfo/licences?unit=GHz&code=523010&service=Spectrum+Access&licenceNum=0924119&submit=Find%20licence
  • a516a516 Posts: 5,241
    Forum Member
    chrisy wrote: »
    There's something weird with Ofcom's site as both of those are blank for me now.

This is the licence itself, maybe this link will continue to work:
    http://spectruminfo.ofcom.org.uk/spectrumInfo/licences?unit=GHz&code=523010&service=Spectrum+Access&licenceNum=0924119&submit=Find%20licence

Perhaps its a session URL - i.e. one that expires after the browsing session has ended.
  • AngusMastAngusMast Posts: 5,153
    Forum Member
    Does this mean Manchester is the capital of the UK now? :D
    Forum Member
    AngusMast wrote: »
    Does this mean Manchester is the capital of the UK now? :D

It's a confusing name, Capital FM TV would have been better and more descriptive. Also the name Capital TV has been used before - by Cardiff's old local TV station.
  • DragonQDragonQ Posts: 4,807
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All of these channels will be on every major transmitter eventually. It's just that they trialled this "local TV mux" thing in Manchester first, presumably because there wasn't space in London due to the temporary HD mux being there.
    Forum Member
    DragonQ wrote: »
    All of these channels will be on every major transmitter eventually. It's just that they trialled this "local TV mux" thing in Manchester first, presumably because there wasn't space in London due to the temporary HD mux being there.

No they won't - there isn't space. The Manchester multiplex isn't a trial, it was the start of the spectrum auctions for interleaved channels intended for local TV. They only licensed two before the entire thing was postponed/delayed for one reason or another. The eventual intention was to auction these off everywhere for local TV, but with the delays, and the change of government, similar interleaved frequencies are now being allocated for PSB local TV with coverage and programming obligations.

The existing two could be used for anything. Whilst Manchester's did start out with local TV on it, it no longer does, and the fact that the Cardiff one is still not on-air (the licensee having also put in a joke of a PSB local channel application, which Ofcom quite rightly rejected), shows that what we're going to get is likely to be a massive improvement over what we would have got.

Manchester get a few extra channels due to the quirk of history, and they will get the PSB local multiplex too! But the Manchester multiplex or a variant thereof will not appear everywhere (although it could conceivably turn up in Cardiff) because any such auction has been delayed indefinitely and will likely only be held on a national level now if it does go ahead.
  • DragonQDragonQ Posts: 4,807
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Surely the PSB Local TV muxes will have capacity that can house these currently-Manchester-only channels?
  • RickyBRickyB Posts: 350
    Forum Member

I think that certain N Wales coastal viewers are supposed to receive PSB muxes from Storeton Wales (relay of Moel y Parc) with COM from Winter Hill.

Doesn't Storeton have COM as well? Although obviously it is Winter Hill relay.
  • reslfjreslfj Posts: 1,832
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RickyB wrote: »
    Doesn't Storeton have COM as well? Although obviously it is Winter Hill relay.

But Storeton Wales doesn't have COM muxes and is a relay of Moel y Parc.

(The Storeton COM muxes are very directional towards NNE (Liverpool)) and gorup A and V polarized.

Winter Hill and Storeton Wales PSB muxes are both group C/D H.

Lars :)
    Forum Member
    DragonQ wrote: »
    Surely the PSB Local TV muxes will have capacity that can house these currently-Manchester-only channels?

Only enough for two commercial channels plus the local service.