HO Brendan the rubbish 'gangster!'

funcifunci Posts: 782
Forum Member
✭✭
He is like something out of The Commitments.

There are so many things wrong with him and his storyllines that bug me.

1. The ridiculous facial furniture under his top lip.

2. The fact he hasn't got a Northern Irish accent despite him and Cheryl being brother and sister.

3. The fact that a supposedly savvy sister doesn't know what he's really like. I mean they're supposed to be really close.

4. How he was able to set up/rob Malachy so easily.

Also while I'm at it, why didn't Ste (yeah remember his anger management issues) didn't stand up to Brendan or at least punch him back.

I really hope Brendan is in it for the short haul as he is beyond irritating!

Comments

• NeomysterioNeomysterio Posts: 13,439
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I rather like Brendan myself and he and Cheryl are half siblings. :)
  • funcifunci Posts: 782
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I rather like Brendan myself and he and Cheryl are half siblings. :)

Ah so I never knew this, ok then the accent thing can be explained away.

I'm not a moustache fan so maybe that's why I find him a bit creepy. Don't think he's intimidating at all.
  • NeomysterioNeomysterio Posts: 13,439
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    funci wrote: »
    Ah so I never knew this, ok then the accent thing can be explained away.

I'm not a moustache fan so maybe that's why I find him a bit creepy. Don't think he's intimidating at all.

I'm with you all the regarding the moustache. It feels like it takes up half the screen when hes talking! :p

I don't find him all that intimidating either but I'm interested to know who the silent partner he set Cheryl up with is.....
  • surfiesurfie Posts: 5,754
    Forum Member
    If anything Phil Sharpe comes across more "hard" then Brendan.
  • Anika HansonAnika Hanson Posts: 15,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Brendan seems to pick on people who he knows cannot stand up to him or fight back. And Cheryl is not savvy at all, it wouldnt be hard to pull the wool over her eyes.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hahahaa I agree with everything in the OP. And personally I really dislike his accent! I wish they had made him have the same accent as Cheryl as at least I'm used to this one! And yes his moustache is horrendous, something really needs to be done about that!

I'm not really buying him as a hard man though, I hope he becomes more realistic as a 'villain' or he doesn't stick around for too long!!!
  • Sorcha_27Sorcha_27 Posts: 138,739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    funci wrote: »
    He is like something out of The Commitments.

There are so many things wrong with him and his storyllines that bug me.

1. The ridiculous facial furniture under his top lip.

2. The fact he hasn't got a Northern Irish accent despite him and Cheryl being brother and sister.

3. The fact that a supposedly savvy sister doesn't know what he's really like. I mean they're supposed to be really close.

4. How he was able to set up/rob Malachy so easily.

Also while I'm at it, why didn't Ste (yeah remember his anger management issues) didn't stand up to Brendan or at least punch him back.

I really hope Brendan is in it for the short haul as he is beyond irritating!

Give him a chance- he's only been in it 5 minutes

also your comment about the commitments- do you think that all irish people sound like that or is it just him because the commitments were from dublin and so is the actor who plays brendan so therefore they would have similar accents and it's not like he can help his accent

IMO he seems pretty good so far- sinister and quite chilling

the actor who plays him is well known in ireland and has done quite a few things here
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 18,108
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He's the best Gangster i've ever seen in a soap
  • rivercity_rulesrivercity_rules Posts: 24,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm surprised that neither Malachy or Lynsey appear to be aware of what Brendan is like considering everyone where they live knew all about Chris and it seemed a really small, gossipy community, wouldn't either Malachy or Lynsey be aware of the "gangster" ways.

It all just seems cobbled together without any proper thought to the character at all.
  • Raven123Raven123 Posts: 3,468
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Out of all the new characters in Hollyoaks, I feel that he is the one with the most potential, I could see him as the Cain of the show.
  • Raven123Raven123 Posts: 3,468
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm surprised that neither Malachy or Lynsey appear to be aware of what Brendan is like considering everyone where they live knew all about Chris and it seemed a really small, gossipy community, wouldn't either Malachy or Lynsey be aware of the "gangster" ways.

It all just seems cobbled together without any proper thought to the character at all.

he came from southern Ireland, the rest are from northern Ireland
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

Malachy has an idea of what he's like I think esp since veronica was with brendan when he met her
  • BeeBumbleBeeBumble Posts: 5,925
    Forum Member

They have exchanged looks about him before havn't they?
    I think they know what Cheryls like and theres no point arguing with that.

I havn't formed a proper opinion on him yet but did anyone else find it funny when he did that sort of growl at Rhys? I think that was supposed to show him as some kind of hard man but just me laugh.:D
  • RainRain Posts: 9,688
    Forum Member
    Yeah totally right. Phil is more a hard nut than Brendan seems to be. Is Phil even a regular though?

Scanlan is totally right too, he does have one of them faces!!!
  • Daisy19Daisy19 Posts: 3,311
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think he's great! Loved the punch he gave to Ste.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Raven123 wrote: »
    he came from southern Ireland, the rest are from northern Ireland

Yeah but he's still family, he met Malachy and Mercedes when they were at Mals mums in Northern Ireland and came over with them it seemed, so he has been living in northern Ireland it seems.

Just seemed strange that Malachy was happy to bring him back as a big surprise for Cheryl and not know what he's really like considering Mal and Chris's mum seemed to know everything about everyone back in chester it just seems strange to go from that to knowing nothing.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yeah but he's still family, he met Malachy and Mercedes when they were at Mals mums in Northern Ireland and came over with them it seemed, so he has been living in northern Ireland it seems.

Just seemed strange that Malachy was happy to bring him back as a big surprise for Cheryl and not know what he's really like considering Mal and Chris's mum seemed to know everything about everyone back in chester it just seems strange to go from that to knowing nothing.

people in ireland can be from the republic and still have family in the north- My great aunt is from Leitrim which is in the republic but married someone from the North and so I've family there with northern accents but I have a southern accent
  • RinsewindRinsewind Posts: 7,152
    Forum Member
    I'm interested to know who the silent partner he set Cheryl up with is.....

Has anybody else considered that the silent partner is actually Brendan?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,407
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rinsewind wrote: »
    Has anybody else considered that the silent partner is actually Brendan?

So Brendan is Danny Huston, now that'll be a good twist
  • Neighbours_FanNeighbours_Fan Posts: 7,513
    Forum Member
    Didn't Carl Costello tell Malachy though, that he knows this Danny?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    people in ireland can be from the republic and still have family in the north- My great aunt is from Leitrim which is in the republic but married someone from the North and so I've family there with northern accents but I have a southern accent

I'm not quite sure what your point is?

We know they are family and we know they are at least from different areas of Ireland and Brendan has definitely lived in Dublin at some point, but Mal and Mercedes were over in Northern Ireland and it was there they met Brendan and from there Brendan decided to come over to visit Cheryl.

Someone said if he had been living in Dublin then Mal, Kris and Lynsey wouldn't really know him, my point was that he was in Northern Ireland when Mal was there until last week or the week before, so he could've been there longer, and so the small-town gossip should still have allowed Mal to know he was bad news.
  • hsellorshsellors Posts: 849
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's annoying how Cheryl thinks the sun shines out of his bum when he's quite obviously a baddie!

On a stupid note...
    He looks like he should be a dwarf but he's not. I'm not trying to be offensive to anyone but that's just what I think of when I look at his face.
  • RinsewindRinsewind Posts: 7,152
    Forum Member
    hsellors wrote: »
    He looks like he should be a dwarf but he's not. I'm not trying to be offensive to anyone but that's just what I think of when I look at his face.

As long as he doesn't start singing about gold, like all the ones round here do, LOL!!!!
  • Dino MDino M Posts: 1,572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Give him a chance- he's only been in it 5 minutes

I think that is 4 too long in my opinion.

I have given him a chance and I just think he is a poor actor and does not look intimidating at all, that tash and slicked back 80s hair cut hardly sets him out as someone to be scared of, as gangster he is not.

I am not sure if he is meant to be the new "bad boy" following Warren, but if he is meant to be that then the producers are sadly mistaken, as the amount of time he has been in it already he has proved himself to be poor.

I know it is only my opinion, but I cannot see him doing anything to change my mind as well, as I guess when you take an instant dislike to a character and the actor, nothing will change your mind.
  • Shady123Shady123 Posts: 4,506
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm pretty sure Brendan lived with cheryl when they were kids then moved away when he was an adult. Mal and Lynsey were talking about childhood memories and said he was always trouble when they were kids so I'm guessing he had a northern accent as a kid then moved to the south and picked up that accent. Makes sense really