The Return of Gallifrey (For Good This Time)

davrosdodebirddavrosdodebird Posts: 8,692
Forum Member
I have been thinking about this one for some time. Would I like to see Gallifrey return, in all its glory? Yes. Would I like to see the Timelord's influence on the Doctor's life through every single episode? No. That was never done in the old series, and to have the Timelords hanging over the Doctor like some stern vultures would spoil the tone of the series as it is now (and always has been :D)

So I thought some more.

If the Timelords return, I wouldn't want the Moff to do what RTD did, and make it an epic moment. The End of Time complicated the Time War story to the point that rescuing Gallifrey again would make the whole thing too much of a headache for me :)

If the Timelords return, I would love them to just be there, no questions asked. I would absolutely love them to pop up at the end of Matt Smith's last story a la The War Games:
Survived? What do you mean? Of course we survived! Didn't you know? ;):p:D

That would be fun, especially if they were a major force in that story.

What does everyone think? :)

Comments

• LightningIguanaLightningIguana Posts: 21,852
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TBH I thought the show was better off without them. Bunch of pompous louts:D

Don't miss them at all.
  • davrosdodebirddavrosdodebird Posts: 8,692
    Forum Member
    I forgot to mention, this thread is for people who DO want the Timelords back ;):p:D
  • Muttley76Muttley76 Posts: 97,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't want them back actually, certainly not en mass, not sure they add much to the contemporary version of the show.

I note the post above, but the OP explicitly asks people what they think, you can't really then turn around and say only those that agree with you should comment..:o
  • JohnnyForgetJohnnyForget Posts: 24,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I forgot to mention, this thread is for people who DO want the Timelords back ;):p:D

You should have called it the "The Gallifrey Appreciation Thread". Apparently, there's an unwritten rule on Digitalspy that if a thread name contains the word "Appreciation", naysayers must extend the courtesy of not naysaying in that thread.

Personally, I am not bothered one way or the other. If Gallifrey returns for good - fine. If it doesn't - fine.
  • EELoverEELover Posts: 1,146
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not bothered myself
    Forum Member
    Note to Muttley: I don't mind people disagreeing with me, and I know that some poeple do not want Gallifrey back, but I meant for people to put forward their own vision for its return in the future, along the lines in the OP or otherwise :)
  • CD93CD93 Posts: 13,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If Gallifrey and the Time Lords were ever to return, it should be slowly and start small to adjust to the new Universe post-Time War.
  • chuffnobblerchuffnobbler Posts: 10,771
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Only if there was less snivelling and pompousness involved than in the Tennant stuff.
  • Face Of JackFace Of Jack Posts: 7,181
    Forum Member
    I got a bit fed up of the Time Lords in the classic series. They intervened too much with Doctors 3,4 & 5. But they would be ok in a one-off story. Would like to see Matt reacting to them! (and what they would make of him :D)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 614
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd like the back, would like to see how the Doctor would react to them, agree that it should be epic.Maybe a few pompous Timelords would act as a perfect foil for The Doctor.
  • TemporalParadoxTemporalParadox Posts: 340
    Forum Member
    No, I wouldn't want all the Time Lords or Gallifrey back. RTD made them evil. Even if he hadn't, I still wouldn't want them back though.
    What I would like is for there to be a small group of Time Lord survivors that occasionally (and I mean occasionally) have an influence on the Doctor's travels.
    Not being old enough to have been a fan of the original series, the Time War is established lore for me and I wouldn't be too happy if they reversed it.

Also, this is off topic, but does anyone else want the Cybermen continuity cleared up. It's all very confusing.
    How did the cybermen invent a Cyberking whilst in the void and how did the Doctor know what it was?
    Where did the cybermen in The Pandorica Opens come from?
    Are the Cybermen in Blood of the Cybermen parallel universe or our universe cybermen?

The Cybermen are in a mess that needs to be sorted out!
    :confused::confused::confused::confused:
  • tingramretrotingramretro Posts: 10,974
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No, I wouldn't want all the Time Lords or Gallifrey back. RTD made them evil. Even if he hadn't, I still wouldn't want them back though.
    What I would like is for there to be a small group of Time Lord survivors that occasionally (and I mean occasionally) have an influence on the Doctor's travels.
    Not being old enough to have been a fan of the original series, the Time War is established lore for me and I wouldn't be too happy if they reversed it.
    Being old enough to consider everything post 2005 to be still 'new', I have the opposite view-none of the Time War stuff is really that important to me, and removing the Time Lords was a mistake I want to see put right. I want them back where they belong, acting as an occasional irritant to the Doctor.

Also, this is off topic, but does anyone else want the Cybermen continuity cleared up. It's all very confusing.
    How did the cybermen invent a Cyberking whilst in the void and how did the Doctor know what it was?
    Where did the cybermen in The Pandorica Opens come from?
    Are the Cybermen in Blood of the Cybermen parallel universe or our universe cybermen?

The Cybermen are in a mess that needs to be sorted out!
    :confused::confused::confused::confused:
    Now that, I agree with! Preferably by ditching the alternate universe versions and bringing back the real Cybermen.
    Forum Member
    Hooray, Ting is on here!

Okay Ting, what do you think of my idea? :)
  • Adam KelleherAdam Kelleher Posts: 1,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Being old enough to consider everything post 2005 to be still 'new', I have the opposite view-none of the Time War stuff is really that important to me, and removing the Time Lords was a mistake I want to see put right. I want them back where they belong, acting as an occasional irritant to the Doctor.
    Now that, I agree with! Preferably by ditching the alternate universe versions and bringing back the real Cybermen.

Agree with you on this.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hooray, Ting is on here!

Okay Ting, what do you think of my idea? :)

Tend to agree-have them return off screen and show up when least expected, and have them used sparingly so that they retain their mystery and power. And for preference, if we visit Gallifrey again, let's have it be the Gallifrey of dark, oak panelled rooms and cavernous chambers seen in The Deadly Assassin, not the casually furnished and overlit doctor's waiting rooms of Arc of Infinity.
  • Conall CearnachConall Cearnach Posts: 874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think I would have a rather pleasant accident in my trousers should some Cybermen of the type from the Troughton era pop up someplace. Tomb Of The Cybermen is my all time favourite Cyberman story.
  • dvirgodvirgo Posts: 400
    Forum Member
    Yes I think the Timelords should absolutley be brought back. I think they humbled and annoyed the Doctor which was good for his character. They used him without his consent but on occasion he was only on who could help them out. I always enjoyed how The doctor would bump into old colleuges from his academy days who let you into the Doctor we don't know. Ie; Just scraping through his exams and being the class clown.

I like the pomposity an arrogance of the Timelords, its important to see that cultural alien difference because that is what the doctor can be like. I think they would have to be difference from the way they were in the original series but I think it would be nice to have a newly developing planet rebuilding itself after the Time War. Also it would give us another environment base away from just earth
  • DoctorQuiDoctorQui Posts: 6,428
    Forum Member
    I used to enjoy the Time Lords popping up once in a while. I don't remember them being around that often during the classic series. I'd like someone to tell me exactly how many Time Lord/Gallifrey stories there have been compared to all DW episodes. I would guess, not that many in comparison!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DoctorQui wrote: »
    I used to enjoy the Time Lords popping up once in a while. I don't remember them being around that often during the classic series. I'd like someone to tell me exactly how many Time Lord/Gallifrey stories there have been compared to all DW episodes. I would guess, not that many in comparison!

Actual stories set on or partly on Gallifrey? The War Games (last episode only), The Three Doctors (one room only seen), The Deadly Assassin, The Invasion of Time, Arc of Infinity and The Five Doctors. There was also a brief glimpse in Colony in Space, and of course Trial of a Time Lord is partly set on a space station used by the Time Lords as a court. Individual Time Lords (excluding the various renegades) also turned up in Terror of the Autons and Genesis of the Daleks.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 226
    Forum Member
    I've always interpreted the Time Lords as being an elevated Time Lord race. The Doctor couldn't save his own race, so he's sort of adopted the humans as his people.

The Timelords in TEOT were facing extinction at the hands of the Daleks, so what they were doing (Ripping the time vortex apart, and ending time) was basically so that they could survive in some form.

Rather than bring the Timelords back as a whole, they should do reintroduce key Timelords like they did with The Master.

Rani, Romana, Omega, Rassilon etc.. would be the main ones to reintroduce.

They could and should only bring Romana back if they were looking for a new companion. Rani, while slightly evil isn't evil enough to warrant being the end of season big bad.

Perhaps the Doctor and Master teaming up to defeat Rassilon and Omega would be an interesting dynamic, but the Master as a good character could only happen at the end of the character so they'd have to kill him off.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,991
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Yes they made a similar mistake in the Eighth Doctor books too;)

Although on a serious note, I like to think that the Eighth Doctor brought them back...only to then get rid of them for good....ie the Time War according to the last era....

On a personal basis, I am no big fan of them returrning...if I was honest the only time they seemed powerful, important and a proper threat to the Doctor was in the War Games, the other stories, apart from the one or two bad Lord, they are quite a boring race....as why the Doctor ran away....:D. I liked their return in EOT, but becuase it was short......to show they had lost the plot...and end an arc started in 2005.

Ofcourse if Moff wants to bring them back...he is more than welcome too....but listening to his talk at the Comic Con in 2008...he seems keen on their return as he seems keen on the return of Rose in his era....;)
    Forum Member
    Actual stories set on or partly on Gallifrey? The War Games (last episode only), The Three Doctors (one room only seen), The Deadly Assassin, The Invasion of Time, Arc of Infinity and The Five Doctors. There was also a brief glimpse in Colony in Space, and of course Trial of a Time Lord is partly set on a space station used by the Time Lords as a court. Individual Time Lords (excluding the various renegades) also turned up in Terror of the Autons and Genesis of the Daleks.

Typical, they're the ones I thought of off the top of my head, I thought that there were more! I clearly know more than I think:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 614
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The mystery of the Doctor has to be given some context in nuWho so exploring the Timelords is a way of doing this.
  • johnnysaucepnjohnnysaucepn Posts: 6,775
    Forum Member
    BibaNova wrote: »
    The mystery of the Doctor has to be given some context in nuWho so exploring the Timelords is a way of doing this.

Actually, I would argue the opposite. Having more like him lessens the mystique.

I think I've said it before, but I'll say it again - I'd much rather see another race trying to take up the mantle of the Time Lords by trying to replicate their technology. It would create plenty of plot hooks - them needing to steal the Doctor's secrets, endangering time and space with their experiments, being corrupted by power, possibly even getting involved in another time war with the Daleks, who would undoubtedly not want to share the power of time manipulation. And it would allow the mythology to be built up organically, instead of having all the Gallifreyan baggage.

It would flip the Time Lord Victorious on its head - who truly has the right to rule time?
    Forum Member
    Actually, I would argue the opposite. Having more like him lessens the mystique.

I think I've said it before, but I'll say it again - I'd much rather see another race trying to take up the mantle of the Time Lords by trying to replicate their technology. It would create plenty of plot hooks - them needing to steal the Doctor's secrets, endangering time and space with their experiments, being corrupted by power, possibly even getting involved in another time war with the Daleks, who would undoubtedly not want to share the power of time manipulation. And it would allow the mythology to be built up organically, instead of having all the Gallifreyan baggage.

It would flip the Time Lord Victorious on its head - who truly has the right to rule time?

Or organisation, The Shadow Proclamation?