Options

what have they done to Click??

RichardcoulterRichardcoulter Posts: 30,450
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Just watched this weeks Click. There was no Tech News or website round up (but that might be because they are in Australia for two weeks), but, there was a space in the middle for an ad break which was filled by a weather report.

Are we now getting the BBC World unedited version or something? :confused:

Comments

• Options
    fmradiotuner1fmradiotuner1 Posts: 20,506
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sounds like they might have shown the short version you saw.
    I wait till midweek and watch then as it should then be on iplayer.
  • Options
    DWA9ISDWA9IS Posts: 10,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Or on BBC 2 come Monday morning, that normally works, if not like you say use iplayer.
  • Options
    petelypetely Posts: 2,994
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It was half an hour in length according to iPlayer, though I skipped through most of it. Without the tech news and website stuff it's simply the presenter saying "look at which country I'm having a jolly in this week!" followed by a few barely newsworthy features about stuff that has no relevance to the UK audience.
  • Options
    RedSnapperRedSnapper Posts: 2,569
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They ought to rename it anyway as most of the stories are about mobile phones...
  • Options
    mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    petely wrote: »
    It was half an hour in length according to iPlayer, though I skipped through most of it. Without the tech news and website stuff it's simply the presenter saying "look at which country I'm having a jolly in this week!" followed by a few barely newsworthy features about stuff that has no relevance to the UK audience.
    Except that it is not made with the UK audience in mind, it is made by BBC World for a world audience.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RedSnapper wrote: »
    They ought to rename it anyway as most of the stories are about mobile phones...
    Apart this week's, the one a few weeks ago when it was about gaming, or when it carries stories about tech in Africa, or in cars, or VR, or new technology in Japan (a recent one as I recall), or robotics, or the many other stories that are not about smartphones .......
  • Options
    Irma BuntIrma Bunt Posts: 1,847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I used to love Click, but in recent weeks I've found so little of interest. Obviously, that's subjective because others may love it. But there has been a definite editorial shift away from what I used to enjoy about the show. It does appear these days to be more about the presenters' jollies than genuine tech news. And someone in the production office is obsessed by bloody robots!
  • Options
    fmradiotuner1fmradiotuner1 Posts: 20,506
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I will have to check this weeks show out I am still about 3 behind last one I watched they were in Japan.
  • Options
    jenziejenzie Posts: 20,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    first time you watched it eh?
    they've done a shorter version for years
  • Options
    hyperstarspongehyperstarsponge Posts: 16,744
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The longer version is usually up on BBC iPlayer every weekend.
  • Options
    seiko456seiko456 Posts: 1,442
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jenzie wrote: »
    first time you watched it eh?
    they've done a shorter version for years

Its been have been since it started, its been used as a filler on BBC news alot of times.:)
  • Options
    GroutyGrouty Posts: 34,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its a 2 part special from Australia, i don't think they do the tech news, web stuff when they do a special.

I mainly only watch it for that hottie Kate Russell :D
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Grouty wrote: »
    Its a 2 part special from Australia, i don't think they do the tech news, web stuff when they do a special.

exactly - they made this quite clear at the start. they haven't "done" anything to click at all.
  • Options
    BelfastGuy125BelfastGuy125 Posts: 7,515
    Forum Member
    It was always a load of old twaddle. Its a tech show for people who are scared of technology. Basically a load of old grannies.
  • Options
    petelypetely Posts: 2,994
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mossy2103 wrote: »
    Except that it is not made with the UK audience in mind, it is made by BBC World for a world audience.
    Which is a bit of a shame as you'd hope that BBC World would have a remit to promote british products, values, innovations and trade to a world audience. Instead they make programmes about stuff in places that few have been to (and fewer would want to go back to) ... with what in mind?
  • Options
    ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It seems to be the most repeated programme on British TV
  • Options
    cody jarrettcody jarrett Posts: 1,950
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was watching live at the 1.30pm showing the OP is referring to and YES there was a tech cock up, ironic for a tech show. The version shown did indeed have a proper break at about 1.45, then we had the TX info board come up on-screen with a countdown to the start of the next segment.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    exactly - they made this quite clear at the start. they haven't "done" anything to click at all.

They merely made it clear that they were in Australia at the beginning, there was no announcement about the ommission of the usual website round up, Tech News or "commercial break".
    I was watching live at the 1.30pm showing the OP is referring to and YES there was a tech cock up, ironic for a tech show. The version shown did indeed have a proper break at about 1.45, then we had the TX info board come up on-screen with a countdown to the start of the next segment.

Thanks, I knew it wasn't the short version as I always try to record or watch the first showing at 1:30am on Saturday mornings. The reason being that later scheduled transmissions are more likely to be subject to being cancelled or shortened (as they have been in the past).

Yesterday, I recorded the programme and watched it shortly afterwards. I tend to FF through anything I aren't interested in and must have missed the TX board!!

If it was a mistake to show the version with space for an ad break, they soon got a weather report to show as a filler if they weren't expecting an ad break to appear :D
  • Options
    RedOrDead36RedOrDead36 Posts: 1,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The website round-up with Kate Russell is utterly pointless. Almost every site is about reading or a twitter variant. She manages to find the most boring sites possible.

Not suggesting they should go find a list of xxx sites for them to plug but a little more creativity wouldn't go amiss.
  • Options
    Rich Tea.Rich Tea. Posts: 22,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just watched this weeks Click. There was no Tech News or website round up (but that might be because they are in Australia for two weeks), but, there was a space in the middle for an ad break which was filled by a weather report.

Are we now getting the BBC World unedited version or something? :confused:

I saw Click at 12.30pm Saturday lunchtime and in the middle section it was broken up by some strange countdown for 30 seconds and what looked like technical info that should not have been broadcast. Certainly no weather report.

Seeing Spencer Kelly down under surveying the views just made me think that he has got one hell of a cushy number with the BBC here, seemingly constantly on a foreign long haul jolly around the world to some decent places and no doubt all paid for plus expenses by the licence payer. Beach volleyball in the Aussie sun all in the name of tech! Really? Lucky boy.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    petely wrote: »
    Which is a bit of a shame as you'd hope that BBC World would have a remit to promote british products, values, innovations and trade to a world audience. Instead they make programmes about stuff in places that few have been to (and fewer would want to go back to) ... with what in mind?
    Why would a programme made by BBC World News (the clue is in the name, and the fact that BBC World News is NOT funded by the Licence Fee), aimed at a world audience, featuring technology and stories relevant to that world audience, make something that promotes Britain?

And sometimes, it's worthwhile opening your mind to the fact that there is technology and technological developments outside of this country.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rich Tea. wrote: »
    ISeeing Spencer Kelly down under surveying the views just made me think that he has got one hell of a cushy number with the BBC here, seemingly constantly on a foreign long haul jolly around the world to some decent places and no doubt all paid for plus expenses by the licence payer. Beach volleyball in the Aussie sun all in the name of tech! Really? Lucky boy.

Click is produced by BBC World News. BBC World News is owned and operated by BBC Global News Ltd, and receives no support from the Licence Fee. It is supported by advertising and subscription revenue.
  • Options
    roddydogsroddydogs Posts: 10,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dont you enjoy Kate showing sites that only the average 12 Yr old wants?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rich Tea. wrote: »
    I saw Click at 12.30pm Saturday lunchtime and in the middle section it was broken up by some strange countdown for 30 seconds and what looked like technical info that should not have been broadcast. Certainly no weather report.

Seeing Spencer Kelly down under surveying the views just made me think that he has got one hell of a cushy number with the BBC here, seemingly constantly on a foreign long haul jolly around the world to some decent places and no doubt all paid for plus expenses by the licence payer. Beach volleyball in the Aussie sun all in the name of tech! Really? Lucky boy.

He has a wife and children too, I wonder what they think about him going away so frequently to such far away places.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    roddydogs wrote: »
    Dont you enjoy Kate showing sites that only the average 12 Yr old wants?
    The website round-up with Kate Russell is utterly pointless. Almost every site is about reading or a twitter variant. She manages to find the most boring sites possible.

Not suggesting they should go find a list of xxx sites for them to plug but a little more creativity wouldn't go amiss.

I doubt Grouty really cares very much about the content of her slot :D

Incidentally, she does her slot in the BBC's blue room IIRC.