Richard and Adam stay at number one, set new 2013 album chart record

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,977
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Richard and Adam have set a new chart record for 2013 after retaining their spot at the top of the UK albums chart for a fourth week in a row.

The Impossible Dream has overtaken Justin Timberlake's third studio album The 20/20 Experience to spend the most consecutive weeks at number one this year.

The album also shares the record for total weeks at the top spot in 2013 with the soundtrack to Les Misérables, which spent two sets of two weeks at number one in January and February.

The Britain's Got Talent finalists held off stiff competition from Rudimental's album Home which missed out on the top spot by just over 2,000 copies.

Travis enter at number three with their first offering for five years Where You Stand, while John Mayer's Paradise Valley debuts at four.

Graffiti on the Train by Stereophonics jumps a huge 16 places to claim the number five spot.

Tired Pony enter the chart at 14 with The Ghost of the Mountain, while Earl Sweatshirt's first solo album Doris debuts at 23.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/music/news/a509750/richard-and-adam-stay-at-number-one-set-new-2013-album-chart-record.html#ixzz2d0YRs9Rj

Comments

• x+yx+y Posts: 2,257
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    4 weeks at Number 1 and still nowhere near selling 100k yet:D
  • Dave0893Dave0893 Posts: 13,658
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    x+y wrote: »
    4 weeks at Number 1 and still nowhere near selling 100k yet:D

How much have they sold in total now?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dave0893 wrote: »
    How much have they sold in total now?

73k as of last week.
  • ChrissieAOChrissieAO Posts: 5,141
    Forum Member
    x+y wrote: »
    73k as of last week.

How do you know this? I have read that it has gone gold....
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ChrissieAO wrote: »
    How do you know this? I have read that it has gone gold....

Buzzjack's sales thread. This weeks sales have yet to be released, but that's their total as of last Monday. Album sales are on their arse at the moment with the number 1 album selling less than 20k a week.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

My source was the sales figure to sales week ending 17th August. The OC or music week have not yet released sales for this weeks chart yet I don't know what they have sold since! I can't see them selling 27k or more this week if I'm honest, so that article looks inaccurate, but we'll have to wait & see!
  • So 3008So 3008 Posts: 2,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

LIES the album is Silver not Gold.

28,982 + 24,864 + 19,325 = 73,171 - all figures from the Official Chart Company. x+y was bang on correct.
  • glyn9799glyn9799 Posts: 7,391
    Forum Member
    Album sales are truly terrible at the moment :(

Also, I believe an album is awarded silver, gold and platinum status on the number of copies that have been shipped, not sold. I highly doubt this album has sold 100k including this weeks sales.
    Forum Member
    It's really totally irrelevant whether it has or has not got to gold and if it hasn't I am sure if will in a week or so. Sales are not going to stop overnight and while I know their style of singing is not everyone's cup of tea, there are lots of people who do enjoy it....
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Richard and Adam sold an additional 17,664 copies last week, bringing their total after four weeks at #1 to 90,841.

Justin Timberlake, who's record they broke however sold 106,000 in his first week alone. Just to put it in context...
  • Pele-thefiregoddessPele-thefiregoddess Posts: 6,170
    Forum Member
    Album sales are dreadful - maybe download albums need to be available for £6.50
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,280
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So 3008 wrote: »
    Richard and Adam sold an additional 17,664 copies last week, bringing their total after four weeks at #1 to 90,841.

Justin Timberlake, who's record they broke however sold 106,000 in his first week alone. Just to put it in context...

This.

That's why, when it comes to both singles and albums charts, I value sales numbers more than actual chart peak positions. Granted, some weeks an album might have a discount, but still.
    Forum Member
    Just read that they are releasing a Christmas album on 2nd December and I am wondering....if sales of their first album was so bad, which is what posters on here have been saying, why would the record company release another one?? Especially knowing how ruthless Simon Cowell is...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just read that they are releasing a Christmas album on 2nd December and I am wondering....if sales of their first album was so bad, which is what posters on here have been saying, why would the record company release another one?? Especially knowing how ruthless Simon Cowell is...

Well for a start they're signed to RCA not Syco, so Cowell has nothing to do with it. Also 114,001 copies sold for a cover album (and counting) probably brings in a reasonable return. Acts like R&A cost labels relatively little money, and so it takes less for them to make a profit.
    Forum Member
    They are signed with Arista, which as I understand is part of Sony and RCA, which is part of Syco, or the other way round but yes, probably Simon Cowell won't have that much imput into all the companies.
    I always thought there were different, separate record companies but it is mind boggling to think they are all linked.
  • TomGrantTomGrant Posts: 4,251
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Who the **** are Richard and Adam?!
  • gpkgpk Posts: 10,206
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They are signed with Arista, which as I understand is part of Sony and RCA, which is part of Syco, or the other way round but yes, probably Simon Cowell won't have that much imput into all the companies.
    I always thought there were different, separate record companies but it is mind boggling to think they are all linked.

sony is the parent company. according to itunes the album is listed under the simco label, the label for the mp3 album on amazon is also listed as syco and the cd album is listed as an "arista" release on amazon. its fair to assume that syco have a joint deal with another sony subsidiary, because syco have exclusive signing rights to acts discovered on their shows.

to answer your original question, in a joint deal, simon wouldn't have so much at stake in the project and an album of covers in relatively cheap to produce. also, they only signed a two album deal originally, so come the new year, they will have already fulfilled their current record contract.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gpk wrote: »
    sony is the parent company. according to itunes the album is listed under the simco label, the label for the mp3 album on amazon is also listed as syco and the cd album is listed as an "arista" release on amazon. its fair to assume that syco have a joint deal with another sony subsidiary, because syco have exclusive signing rights to acts discovered on their shows.

I was going by Wiki where they're listed as being signed to RCA and Arista. What exactly is Simco? R&A's album is copyrighted to such but lacks any mention or sign of Syco involvement. Even the releases of Olly Murrs and Rebecca Ferguson with their joint deals always carry the Syco logo.
  • gpkgpk Posts: 10,206
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So 3008 wrote: »
    I was going by Wiki where they're listed as being signed to RCA and Arista. What exactly is Simco? R&A's album is copyrighted to such but lacks any mention or sign of Syco involvement. Even the releases of Olly Murrs and Rebecca Ferguson with their joint deals always carry the Syco logo.

simco is just another name for syco, simon cowell.;) look at little mix's label on itunes, that is simco too and syco is their label in the uk.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 802
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TomGrant wrote: »
    Who the **** are Richard and Adam?!

They were contestants in Britain's Got Talent and got as far as the finale.
    Forum Member
    gpk wrote: »

to answer your original question, in a joint deal, simon wouldn't have so much at stake in the project and an album of covers in relatively cheap to produce. also, they only signed a two album deal originally, so come the new year, they will have already fulfilled their current record contract.

Interesting...thanks