Options

Jerky picture when playing a region 1 disk on my dvd player

I recently bought my first region 1 dvd, ad i put a code in my existing region 2 player to allow it to play. While it works ok, the picture is a bit jumpy, like it has a poor frame rate. Does anyone know if i can resolve this problem?

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 158
    Forum Member
    Hack codes don't always work perfectly. I bought an region "0" DVD player from Pioneer and have no trouble with the picture. But my old Philips with hack code still wouldn't play back region 1, All other regions but not 1.
  • Options
    sonicshadowsonicshadow Posts: 8,388
    Forum Member
    daz1380 wrote:
    Hack codes don't always work perfectly. I bought an region "0" DVD player from Pioneer and have no trouble with the picture. But my old Philips with hack code still wouldn't play back region 1, All other regions but not 1.
    well my sister bought a multi-region player which got delivered today along with the Dvd, and the picture is jerky there as well , so i dont know if its a problem with the disk?
  • Options
    mongositomongosito Posts: 2,380
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Most of the budget machines that are remote hackable will have their NTSC output set to PAL 50.
    This is what creates the juddery picture.
    If you go into the settings menu on the player you should find an option somewhere that will let you select "PAL","NTSC" or "AUTO".
    The PAL setting enables those with older tv's that cannot display NTSC discs in colour to get colour.
    If you set it to AUTO the jerkiness will stop,providing your set is ok with NTSC and most are.
    The jerkiness has nothing to do with region coding.
    Regarding the Philips hack,the mutiregion hack enables playback of all regions.If it plays other regions apart from region 2 it will play region 1 aswell.
    The exception to this will be Region 1 discs encoded with RCE.This is usually Columbia big name movies.
    RCE is also said to be present on some Warner titles,but I never found any.
    So the R1 disc you tried to play may well have RCE.
    To enable Philips gear to play RCE requires a proper upgrade.
  • Options
    sonicshadowsonicshadow Posts: 8,388
    Forum Member
    mongosito wrote:
    Most of the budget machines that are remote hackable will have their NTSC output set to PAL 50.
    This is what creates the juddery picture.
    If you go into the settings menu on the player you should find an option somewhere that will let you select "PAL","NTSC" or "AUTO".
    The PAL setting enables those with older tv's that cannot display NTSC discs in colour to get colour.
    If you set it to AUTO the jerkiness will stop,providing your set is ok with NTSC and most are.
    The jerkiness has nothing to do with region coding.
    Regarding the Philips hack,the mutiregion hack enables playback of all regions.If it plays other regions apart from region 2 it will play region 1 aswell.
    The exception to this will be Region 1 discs encoded with RCE.This is usually Columbia big name movies.
    RCE is also said to be present on some Warner titles,but I never found any.
    So the R1 disc you tried to play may well have RCE.
    To enable Philips gear to play RCE requires a proper upgrade.
    Thanks for that, i set my dvd player to both auto and NTSC and the screen went black and white, although my tv does games in 60Hz ok, and i assumed that meant it was NTSC compatible. ah well, will just have to put up with the jerkiness.

And my player is a Philips, so its not a problem with them.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 143
    Forum Member
    Thanks for that, i set my dvd player to both auto and NTSC and the screen went black and white, although my tv does games in 60Hz ok, and i assumed that meant it was NTSC compatible. ah well, will just have to put up with the jerkiness.

And my player is a Philips, so its not a problem with them.

In your DVD player's display settings change the display mode from 'composite' to 'RGB' and you will get colour from NTSC discs when the player is set to AUTO.

Make sure the SCART cable is connected to AV1 on the TV. On most TVs only AV1 supports RGB. AV2 is composite only.

You get colour from your games console because it is using PAL60 rather than pure NTSC. The colour is still composite though, and RGB is better.