No sound from tv speakers on Philips 37PF5520D

SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
Forum Member
✭✭✭✭✭
I have the DVP5900 DVD player (has a HDMI port) attached to a Philips 37PF5520D HDReady LCD. Video is fine via a HDMI - DVI cable. As DVI doesn't carry audio I connected the DVD 'digital coaxial out' port, via a digital coaxial audio cable, to the SPDIF port on the LCD.

So why do I not get any sound?

any ideas?

Apparently the DVD player firmware should be upgraded, but that only fixes a bug where 5.1 audio wasn't being carried. But stereo should still work.

Anyone got any ideas?

I've got the same question up on AVForums but am still waiting for help.

Comments

• archie2000archie2000 Posts: 274
    Forum Member
    The SPDIF socket on the TV is an output not an input. This can feed to an amp or HiFi aux socket. The only way you can get the sound from your DVD to the TV is by connecting from Phono out L/R on DVD to the 3.5 jack plug socket next to the DVI socket.

Select HD option on the TV input, and all should be heard.
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    archie2000 wrote:
    The SPDIF socket on the TV is an output not an input. This can feed to an amp or HiFi aux socket. The only way you can get the sound from your DVD to the TV is by connecting from Phono out L/R on DVD to the 3.5 jack plug socket next to the DVI socket.

Select HD option on the TV input, and all should be heard.

Thanks for the reply. I managed to find the LCD manual after I'd put it somewhere safe! No wonder there's no sound when I'm hooking it up to an audio out socket :):o

I think I'm going to stick with my good quality SCART for now and later use the digital coax with my amp/speakers to get 5.1.
    Forum Member
    Using the scart will not give you sound when you are in HD mode on the LCD.

You must connect DVD phono L/R to the 3.5 jack plug socket to hear sound in HD mode.
    Leads are very cheap, even the high quality ones.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    archie2000 wrote:
    Using the scart will not give you sound when you are in HD mode on the LCD.

You must connect DVD phono L/R to the 3.5 jack plug socket to hear sound in HD mode.
    Leads are very cheap, even the high quality ones.

Thanks. Yes, I was just going to disconnect the DVI for now and rely on SCART for sound/video.

But as you say the cables are cheap I will make one more further purchase :)

So this phono L/R is a single cable right? Connects from DVD player to the DVI Audio socker? I could do with a weblink (maplin?) if you would be so kind? :D
    Forum Member
    It seems a shame not to make use of the better quality DVI input if your DVD will output to this.

Try this for 3.5mm Stereo Plug to 2 Phono Leads

http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?TabID=1&ModuleNo=35928&doy=1m4
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks Archie, you been very helpful.

Much appreciated!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Appropriate cable is now attached and working great. :)

Thanks again.
    Forum Member
    No problem

Enjoy