The first Black Doctor Who?

Comments

• nate1970nate1970 Posts: 1,591
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    allisonbm2 wrote: »
    Adrian Lester has been on my personal list to be the next Doctor for some time,He'd do a brilliant job with the part too, excellent actor. Would also like to endorse the ideas of
    Chiwetel Ejiofor or Shaun Parkes... surely it should be based on their ability to play the part rather than anything else although I do get the point that the media would keep drumming on about the first black Doctor.

You're right, of course, but just to play Devil's Advocate: here's another great actor, Peter Dinklage. He's 4'5". American-ness aside, if he came out top in an audition, should he play the Doctor? Reason says 'of course', but my gut says 'hang on a minute...'
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,988
    Forum Member
    fairypenny wrote: »
    Chiwetel Ejiofor: i didn't know who he was, but i recognise him. he looks doctory.

Adewale Akinnuoye-Agbaje: he's too ingrained in my mind as mr eko! i would be a bit afraid of him as the doctor.

and as for some of the other people suggested in the thread...

Adrian Lester: he's a bit cheeky, but he could work

Colin Salmon: didn't recognise his name (i'm so rubbish) but as soon as i saw his face i knew him. very doctorish.

Don Gilet: again, one of those people who's in loads of stuff but i never found out his real name - quite doctory.

just noticed Shaun Parkes: wasn't he in DW recently? could he be the doctor after that?

the winner? for me, colin salmon would be good but i don't think he will be the doctor now.

Colin Baker did it so why not Shaun Parkes...not impossible..he'd bring a lot to the part I think
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 39
    Forum Member
    nick fury is white...

Nick Fury is black on Earth-1610 (though he currently resides on Earth-712) but not on Earth-616 (the Nick Fury most people are familiar with). To be frank black Nick Fury is a much better character than the two dimensional guy who conveniently turns out to be an LMD whenever he gets killed.

Earth-1610 Nick Fury was based on Samuel L. Jackson so it makes sense for him to play him. Hell even white Nick Fury likes to dress up as black Nick Fury these days so he can hide from Skrulls.

Almost all Avenger related non-comic book spin-offs have been based on or heavily influenced by 'The Ultimates' rather than the classic characters. Thus the black Nick Fury in Iron Man.

Do you complain so vigorously that the Human Torch should be a faulty WWII era android who bursts into flame on contact with air and not some punk kid in the Fantastic 4? Probably not as I'm guessing you're not 80 years old. Just because you grew up with a portrayal of a character does not make that version the 'correct' one.

If this posts makes no sense then your comic book knowledge is lacking or out of date and you are not as sad as I am. :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 52
    Forum Member
    Nick Fury is black on Earth-1610 (though he currently resides on Earth-712) but not on Earth-616 (the Nick Fury most people are familiar with). To be frank black Nick Fury is a much better character than the two dimensional guy who conveniently turns out to be an LMD whenever he gets killed.

Earth-1610 Nick Fury was based on Samuel L. Jackson so it makes sense for him to play him. Hell even white Nick Fury likes to dress up as black Nick Fury these days so he can hide from Skrulls.

Almost all Avenger related non-comic book spin-offs have been based on or heavily influenced by 'The Ultimates' rather than the classic characters. Thus the black Nick Fury in Iron Man.

Do you complain so vigorously that the Human Torch should be a faulty WWII era android who bursts into flame on contact with air and not some punk kid in the Fantastic 4? Probably not as I'm guessing you're not 80 years old. Just because you grew up with a portrayal of a character does not make that version the 'correct' one.

If this posts makes no sense then your comic book knowledge is lacking or out of date and you are not as sad as I am. :)

Well done! You bet me to it ! The ultimates rule. In fact not only was he based on sam jackson but in one scene they are all talking about who would play them in a movie and nick says sam jackson !
    It can be more complicated with some examples the background of a black character in todays soceity could be argued to be different to the background of a white character however the background to a character of our time will also be different to someone from another era but this doesnt stop hollywood seting most hero flicks in contemporary times. "who" is not tied down by any of this. He is an alien. If he were black however he may not want to travel to certain shamefull times and places in earth history.
  • Digital SidDigital Sid Posts: 39,870
    Forum Member
    Not being a racist here, but as I have said before, The Doctor is a white british male and always will be.

There will never be a female James bond etc...

Classic means STAYING classic

The doctor is an alien, he's not british, white or anything.

If he can regenerate, there's no reason he can't be of colour or a woman. I'd love Adrian Lester as the next doctor, he's an excellent actor and Hustle died a death when he left.
  • dddddarrendddddarren Posts: 2,621
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i think lenny henry would be a great black doctor who.
  • starsailorstarsailor Posts: 11,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If he were black however he may not want to travel to certain shamefull times and places in earth history.

I don't think thats an issue. He's already gone to ancient Rome, where they had slaves of all races, and Shakespeares London, where slavery still existed, taking Martha without any issues there.
  • SHAFTSHAFT Posts: 4,369
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Didn't Lenny Henry already play The Doctor in one of his sketches?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dddddarren wrote: »
    i think lenny henry would be a great black doctor who.

Lenny Henry's not even a very good Lenny Henry these days :(
  • Digital SidDigital Sid Posts: 39,870
    Forum Member
    Histeria wrote: »
    I'm not sure I agree, EleventhDoctor. The Doctor will always be a British (accented) male, but the colour of his skin has never seemed "set in stone" in that way, to me. No idea who this Adrian Lester guys is (other than wanting to land a prime role one TV - doesn't every actor. Some news story that :rolleyes:), but I remember Colin Salmon's name cropping up form the rumour mill when the 9th and 10th were in casting. I'd have been more than happy with that.

Adrian Lester is a successful actor, he's had a big few british roles and small few hollywood roles so has the experience to pull it off. He's already had a prime role on TV (Hustle) and that was a show that got 5.9 million per episode (not far off doctor who's ratings).
  • dddddarrendddddarren Posts: 2,621
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    nate1970 wrote: »

I dont agree with that...he is brill in those Travellodge adverts
  • TimCypherTimCypher Posts: 9,052
    Forum Member
    Don't see the issue with a black Doctor, myself.

There are plenty of big names who could do the role justice, some of which have been mentioned here.

Regards,

Cypher
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    nate1970 wrote: »

Nice one. :D:D:D:):):)

I think RTD will bring in a gay doctor before a black one. James Dreyfus was awful as Thermoman but would make a brilliant doctor.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 164
    Forum Member
    Why not? Seems like a good idea to me. A woman doctor would be a bit weird however. Although it could be a good idea for an episode one day.
  • solenoidsolenoid Posts: 15,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And I can play Shaft.
  • RorschachRorschach Posts: 10,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well done! You bet me to it ! The ultimates rule.
    Oi, I beat you both to it by mentioning the Ultimates a page ago!

Not is as much universe-numbering detail of course but...

:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 820
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And I can play Shaft.

It's strange that everybody always mentions Shaft. The thing is that just because some characters have race as a central component of their premise (such as Shaft, whose whole USP is that he's a black private detective who offers the black community a place to go for justice when the institutionally racist police let them down) doesn't mean they all do.

I'm sure with a bit of thought we could all think of a few characters who need to be white to work, but the Doctor, Kingpin, Catwoman and Nick Fury are not amongst them.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,126
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nuallain wrote: »
    I'm sure with a bit of thought we could all think of a few characters who need to be white to work, but the Doctor, Kingpin, Catwoman and Nick Fury are not amongst them.
    The comic book character Thor needs to be white and blond, as he is defined by his Scandinavian lineage.
  • Playboy NolanPlayboy Nolan Posts: 3,568
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why do we constantly have to have "The first Black..." anything?

Racism works both ways and to separate yourselves by race and want something different because of it is racist.

How about integrating instead of separating? :rolleyes:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 820
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The comic book character Thor needs to be white and blond, as he is defined by his Scandinavian lineage.

I'm... not... sure. :confused: I know Thor traditionally bonds with a mortal human (and that human has changed a few times) but I'm not sure if that effects his own appearance when he transforms. I honestly don't know enough about Thor to be sure, but you may well be right.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 207
    Forum Member
    fairypenny wrote: »
    the winner? for me, colin salmon would be good but i don't think he will be the doctor now.

Colin Salmon is already set to appear in this series according to this
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Racism works both ways and to separate yourselves by race and want something different because of it is racist.

I'm confused... do you think a black Doctor is a good idea or not?
  • stcoopstcoop Posts: 3,209
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I'm not sure what your argument is.

Are you for or against non-white actors being considered for the role of the Doctor in the same way that white actors are?
  • kendogukkendoguk Posts: 13,804
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Richard Ayoade to be the doctor :)
  • VideoTapirVideoTapir Posts: 646
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd like to sixth (or seventh, or whatever) the 'yes to a non-white Doctor, no to a female Doctor' comment.