Options

Pointless- New quiz show on BBC2 (merged)

Comments

• Options
    Flying FoxFlying Fox Posts: 200
    Forum Member
    On Last Friday's show "Saturday Night Fever" was disallowed because the correct title of the song in question is "Night Fever". However today, "Simply The Best" was allowed despite again not being the actual title of the song (apparently).

In neither case would the opposite ruling have made any difference to the final outcome, but it seems a bit inconsistent. So I'm wondering if anyone who's been on the show can tell us what guidance, if any, is given on how precise answers need to be in order to be accepted.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7
    Forum Member
    I really like Richard's comments. His sense of humour is spot on. It does seem to go over the audience's and contestant's heads at times, but I like it all the more for that.:D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13
    Forum Member
    Flying Fox wrote: »
    On Last Friday's show "Saturday Night Fever" was disallowed because the correct title of the song in question is "Night Fever". However today, "Simply The Best" was allowed despite again not being the actual title of the song (apparently).

In neither case would the opposite ruling have made any difference to the final outcome, but it seems a bit inconsistent. So I'm wondering if anyone who's been on the show can tell us what guidance, if any, is given on how precise answers need to be in order to be accepted.

I think the difference may be that Saturday Night Fever isn't actually sung in the song whereas Simply The best is.

Having said that I thought that they shouldn't have got away with that answer.
  • Options
    CaminoCamino Posts: 13,029
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Strangler wrote: »
    I really like Richard's comments. His sense of humour is spot on. It does seem to go over the audience's and contestant's heads at times, but I like it all the more for that.:D

oh me too, he is a big part of the show for me
  • Options
    Gill PGill P Posts: 21,593
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I got all the inventions on the first page yesterday! Even Jethro Tull and the seed drill! But there was no-one else at home to see my triumph!
  • Options
    JeffG1JeffG1 Posts: 15,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm surprised that more of the show doesn't go over the audience's heads, judging by the inane whoops coming from that direction.

I got all the inventions, apart from Jethro Tull, which is inexcusable since the farm he owned/worked on is only a few miles from me. I thought 'plough' though of course I knew that had to be wrong :)

Pointless really seems to be dumbing down with all the pop and entertainment trivia questions they have.
  • Options
    CarmanCarman Posts: 1,737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JeffG1 wrote: »

I got all the inventions, apart from Jethro Tull, which is inexcusable since the farm he owned/worked on is only a few miles from me. I thought 'plough' though of course I knew that had to be wrong :)

He improved the design of the plough, so you were half right!

I immediately thought of "horse hoeing husbandry", which had stuck in my mind from history lessons, but that was actually a book he wrote.

He also invented a horse-drawn hoe, so what would have happened if one of the contestants had given that as an answer instead of seed drill?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Prosperous Farm which was Jethro Tull's old place near Hungerford does fantastic cream. They always used to come to Newbury farmers' market, but I haven't been for a while. (Probably beneficial to my waistline :))
  • Options
    apaulapaul Posts: 9,846
    Forum Member
    I thought they have done the presidential losers in a previous series. If I remember correctly Walter Mondale was pointless the last time, but not on this occasion. The squares question had some tough answers.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 95
    Forum Member
    Mexico haha!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 655
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    a teacher thinks mexico is a state of the usa. :eek:
  • Options
    stu636stu636 Posts: 617
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Then his equally thick partner says Orlando!!! Someone said Detroit too. My god!!! How thick are some people.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    They had some good contestants last week, but unfortunately it's back to the thick and camp today.
  • Options
    AzagothAzagoth Posts: 10,169
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Did anyone happen to catch the reason they gave for Connecticut being left out of the Coastal US States question? I've been to Connecticut on more than a few occasions and they most definately have a coastline. In fact, I had some of the best fishing there that I've ever experienced.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    When there are a lot of answers (22 in this case) they do not go through them all, just the lowest and highest scorers.
  • Options
    SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

Unbelievable:rolleyes:

I had Hawaii for the Julie Andrews film and was so disappointed that it was not mentioned:o
  • Options
    GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    SULLA wrote: »
    Unbelievable:rolleyes:

I had Hawaii for the Julie Andrews film and was so disappointed that it was not mentioned:o

Likewise, I had her infamous film S.O.B. in which she appeared topless.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 552
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Azagoth wrote: »
    Did anyone happen to catch the reason they gave for Connecticut being left out of the Coastal US States question? I've been to Connecticut on more than a few occasions and they most definately have a coastline. In fact, I had some of the best fishing there that I've ever experienced.

It isn't directly on the coast, its coast is Long Island Sound, an estuary.

The answers were so dreadfully bad today, embarrassing.
  • Options
    Friday's childFriday's child Posts: 100
    Forum Member
    Azagoth wrote: »

Recorded the show for my husband so I went back and checked for you. Richard said it was for geographical reasons - Connecticut and Pennsylvania apparently have 'tidal shorelines' but not real coastlines. Clear as mud, yes?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was disappointed on yesterday's show that they actually gave lists for the types of tea. It would have been so much better if they had left it open. Orange Pekoe, anyone? In the few seconds before the choices came up, I thought of that and Darjeeling.

Oregon (or even Washington) would probably have been a low score for coastal states. And nobody mentioned any of the Gulf states (apart from Mexico :D)
  • Options
    nellieknelliek Posts: 10,786
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    stu636 wrote: »
    Then his equally thick partner says Orlando!!! Someone said Detroit too. My god!!! How thick are some people.
    And don't forget Ealing Broadway as a London railway terminus. :D
  • Options
    davadsdavads Posts: 8,644
    Forum Member
    nelliek wrote: »
    And don't forget Ealing Broadway as a London railway terminus. :D

To be fair, that one's actually easy to slip up on if you only visualise the Tube map. I didn't twig it was wrong myself until the X came up.

The chap's reasoning was based on frequent visits to a friend in Richmond, so if he was generally using the District Line his mind might well have shut off the far side of the station where the through platforms are.
  • Options
    davadsdavads Posts: 8,644
    Forum Member
    duplicate post
  • Options
    chaz richchaz rich Posts: 1,812
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The ealing broadway answer was bought about by mentioning three stations that are " through " stations so the guy thought Ealing Broadway as its at " the end of the line " would be a correct answer.
    Thought the girls were a bit unlucky yesterday, I was on "the Chase" with Sandra a couple of months back & they were the only couple that knew their stuff on this episode of the programme.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 51
    Forum Member
    I need to catch up on the past few episodes so hello iPlayer sesh tonight :D
    I really want to go on this as well,knowing my luck me and whomever I'm with will get booted out first round twice,unless I persuaded my Dad to go on (he's like an encyclopedia of random knowledge). Is there anywhere online you can apply? I remember they did it last year but I wasn't old enough to apply then.
This discussion has been closed.