Can someone explain jury service?

12346»

Comments

• Options
    Jean-FrancoisJean-Francois Posts: 2,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    neo_wales wrote: »
    And what funny handshakes would they be?

You're kidding, right?
  • Options
    noise747noise747 Posts: 30,857
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    neo_wales wrote: »
    And what funny handshakes would they be?

Freemasons and other secret meetings. but they do pop out now and to say look what we have done, we raised this money for charity, all a show mind you
    Why am I a Tory? You really have no idea what my political inclinations are do you.

You just come across as one, but I could be wrong.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    littleboo wrote: »
    So in one sentence you say I cant know who would put their name forward, and in the next you say "Give the people who do nothing all day Jury service"
    I think your post makes my point very well. You'll end up with a jury that's not representative, it would be full of people with nothing else to do, which is broadly speaking the unemployed and the retired.

Still have a list as well, but if they can't get enough people then choose the ones who do nothing all day.
    As for not being representative, who gives a crap, at the end of the day they are there to find someone one guilty or not guilty, simple as that.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    stoatie wrote: »
    Yet you can make judgments and assumptions about other people who you presumably don't know other than as text on a screen?

Granted I did, that was wrong. I do apologise. been a bit under the weather these last couple of weeks.
  • Options
    Miss XYZMiss XYZ Posts: 14,023
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I got called up to do it a few years ago but I told them I couldn't as my son was very young and I had no one to look after him. In reality I could've got my parents to take time off work to look after him, but it would've been a lot of hassle. I'd jump at the chance of doing it now.
  • Options
    SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    A retired police officer would be the one of the last people I would like to have judging me.

They can become Magistrates. :)
  • Options
    neo_walesneo_wales Posts: 13,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    noise747 wrote: »
    Freemasons and other secret meetings. but they do pop out now and to say look what we have done, we raised this money for charity, all a show mind you

You just come across as one, but I could be wrong.

Do you think that is all Mason's do? Good gosh you and others have so much to learn. Its not all a show, all you show is your total ignorance of the Masonic movement :confused:
  • Options
    reglipreglip Posts: 5,268
    Forum Member
    redrose89 wrote: »
    I've never been called up but I am very curious about it.
    Am I right in thinking individuals with certain jobs can't be called up? My job's in a grey area of healthcare.

Old people?
  • Options
    littleboolittleboo Posts: 1,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    noise747 wrote: »
    Still have a list as well, but if they can't get enough people then choose the ones who do nothing all day.
    As for not being representative, who gives a crap, at the end of the day they are there to find someone one guilty or not guilty, simple as that.
    I don't think there is a problem getting enough people, just that some people bleat and make such a drama out of it, even people who have never actually been called up.
  • Options
    neo_walesneo_wales Posts: 13,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    littleboo wrote: »
    I don't think there is a problem getting enough people, just that some people bleat and make such a drama out of it, even people who have never actually been called up.

Ain't that the truth and if they've not been called it draws the 'My mate....' bunch in.
  • Options
    yellowparkyellowpark Posts: 2,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In 2008 I did 3 months Jury service for a high profile case at the old bailey, I loved the experience, I learned so much.

It took us 4 days for our deliberation, the door to our room was locked by the one man who looked after us,(I forgot what they are called) we was not aloud out, there was a toilet in the corner of the room, we had refreshers.

Never be late especially after lunch.
  • Options
    1fab1fab Posts: 20,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm now beginning to doubt that I would be let off jury service due to social anxiety. Oh well, just have to hope my luck holds out and I don't get called up. Or have a stiff drink before going into court...
  • Options
    JoystickJoystick Posts: 14,256
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    1fab wrote: »
    I'm now beginning to doubt that I would be let off jury service due to social anxiety. Oh well, just have to hope my luck holds out and I don't get called up. Or have a stiff drink before going into court...
    Saying the oath was by far the worst part. The guy next to me when I did it had to say his oath again because he didn't say it clear enough. Think I felt sick waiting to get a case then saying mine, but after you've said it, it's a big relief.

I did it over 5 years (or more) hopefully I won't have to do it again too.
  • Options
    radcliffe95radcliffe95 Posts: 4,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do jurors get sent home each night, or are they segregated for the whole time away from the outside world?
  • Options
    Bio MaxBio Max Posts: 2,207
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do jurors get sent home each night, or are they segregated for the whole time away from the outside world?

depends on the case I guess? I've read about jurors who get put up in a hotel and kept 'segregated' but certainly on my 3 cases, we were fine to go home as normal...
  • Options
    njpnjp Posts: 27,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hypnodisc wrote: »
    ETA: Just another little nugget: Last I heard, something like 50% of all people who are called up to jury service end up sitting on TV Licensing cases for the sole reason that the sheer number of these cases dominates the time of the courts, comparatively to every other type of case.
    MaxBeta wrote: »
    You can't actually elect to be tried by jury for having no TV licence, so you seem to have been misinformed.
    This, and even in magistrates courts, where these cases are heard, they are generally dealt with in bulk, and very few defendants attend in person. They make up about 13% of cases, but much less than that in terms of magistrates' time.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just wish they would allow those who wanted to, to be used more often than once in a lifetime.
    There is no such limitation. I was called again about a year after my first jury service. I could have declined, because it was within two years, but decided to do it anyway. I'm glad I did - it was a much more interesting case than I got the first time around!

As far as I know, jury selection is entirely random. Many people are never called at all.
  • Options
    The WizardThe Wizard Posts: 11,071
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I loved it. Got an all expenses paid week off work to sit in a courtroom and watch a real life crime drama unfold before my eyes and then we got to decide the scumbag's fate. If you can find a fellow jurer who is willing to car share then you can make a few quid on the travelling expenses. Also they pay your lunch money so you can make money by taking your own crisps and a sandwich save having to buy anything.

I'd definitely do it again.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Woodbine wrote: »
    Saying the oath was by far the worst part. The guy next to me when I did it had to say his oath again because he didn't say it clear enough. Think I felt sick waiting to get a case then saying mine, but after you've said it, it's a big relief.

I did it over 5 years (or more) hopefully I won't have to do it again too.

I wanted to affirm but was so nervous I just swore on the Bible like everyone else even though I'm not religious. I didn't want to come across as the only one being deliberately awkward.
  • Options
    radcliffe95radcliffe95 Posts: 4,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bio Max wrote: »
    depends on the case I guess? I've read about jurors who get put up in a hotel and kept 'segregated' but certainly on my 3 cases, we were fine to go home as normal...

I'm thinking about the William Roache case in particular. Do you think they're allowed home each night?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The one thing I didn't like about jury service was the deliberation part. My case had to be a unanimous verdict. At one point just under half of us believed he was guilty but over several hours the other older and more vocal jurers kept shouting us down and brow beat and pressured us into changing our minds. Eventually I was the only one left and all eyes were on me and even those who originally said he was guilty turned to me and said, 'Come on this is ridiculous. You're holding everyone up and we just all want to go home. Dont make us sit here another day etc.' I foolishly let them get to me and in the end gave in to a verdict which I didn't believe in.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Wizard wrote: »
    The one thing I didn't like about jury service was the deliberation part. My case had to be a unanimous verdict. At one point just under half of us believed he was guilty but over several hours the other older and more vocal jurers kept shouting us down and brow beat and pressured us into changing our minds. Eventually I was the only one left and all eyes were on me and even those who originally said he was guilty turned to me and said, 'Come on this is ridiculous. You're holding everyone up and we just all want to go home. Dont make us sit here another day etc.' I foolishly let them get to me and in the end gave in to a verdict which I didn't believe in.
    Sounds a bit like the plot of 12 Angry Men. Only not as good.
  • Options
    JB3JB3 Posts: 9,308
    Forum Member
    I did it once, I was herded into a holding pen, we were given food vouchers, which entitled us to use the cafeteria, but the voucher would only buy you a cup of tea and a biscuit, if you wanted a proper lunch you had to pay for it yourself.

We sat around in the enclosure for two days as we did so a clerk would appear at the door and shout out some names and the named ones would be marched off to the inner depths of the court - and we never saw them again....

On day 3 my name was called, and I filed up the stairs and around some corridors, we lined up outside the court and the clerk told us what was expected of us and warned us about discussing the case, she re appeared a few minutes later and selected 12 names from our group of about 15, we were then told we weren't needed and files back to the holding pen to sit around for another day- we never saw the other 12 of our corridor companions ever again..

That same afternoon I was called again, same procedure, and this time I was on the short list, we were sworn in and told how to behave and shown the jury jury room, then it was tea time so we all went home..
    Next morning, we were grouped together and taken back to the jury room and after a while we filed into the court room, we heard 3 cases, one was for some ner- do -wells who robbed a pub and duffed the landlord up, they got caught for not wearing seatbelts and the pub cash boxes were discovered on the back seats...
    The next case brought forward a very tired looking man who sighed a lot , he had been found with a whole cannabis farm in his flat in rural wiltshire..
    I completely forget now what the 3rd case was, but we found everyone guilty and went home having done our duty.
    I was called the next day too, but it was a murder trial due to last 6 weeks,I had known the victim, not well but enough to assume her partner had done it, and there he was in the dock, so I waved at one of the official looking people and the judge excused me, rather grumpily, I thought...

That was the end of it,my company paid my full salary and the courts paid for my parking etc..