Kurt Cobain: 20 years on

homer2012homer2012 Posts: 5,216
Forum Member
Tomorrow april 5th marks 20 years since Kurt passed away.

What are peoples feelings towards his music, legacy, death, drugs and of course the father to francis beans??

For me the music sounds fresh as it did back then and the fact that nirvanas music still influences artists today is credit to kurts legacy.

I know the official version is suicide (not sure) so for kurt to leave his daughter behind must have been heartbreaking to do.

R.i.p. Kurt:cry:

Comments

• Paul WilsonPaul Wilson Posts: 5,108
    Forum Member
    I've read a book or two and it struck home that probably even without the fame, he'd have done what he did. If ever someone needed therapy it was Kurt. But with the fame, it was almost obvious what he was going to do. Why did no-one - with the possible exception of Michael Stipe - do something?
    As for the music, that will outlive us all. In Utero will still sound as fresh fifty years on as Revolver does now.
  • homer2012homer2012 Posts: 5,216
    Forum Member
    It does seem a case of self destruction from the time his parents got divorced. In Utero gets hammered alot in the car and never gets old.
  • AdamskAdamsk Posts: 1,384
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It sad Kurt is still not here if he seen the mess of the music industry now he would have something to say.
  • LMLM Posts: 63,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My only problem with Kurt Cobain is how Courtney Love likes to remind us she was married to him. A few times a year she likes to remind us she is his widow. Yes, she was famous in her own right through her band Hole, but it's as if she has only stayed relevant for being Kurt Cobain's widow. For me, she has used his death to form an extended career and she revels in it. It's wrong.

Other than that, he was a brilliant artist. Nirvana don't do it for me but i understand and can see the legacy he left.
  • misslibertinemisslibertine Posts: 14,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My only problem with Kurt Cobain is how Courtney Love likes to remind us she was married to him. A few times a year she likes to remind us she is his widow. Yes, she was famous in her own right through her band Hole, but it's as if she has only stayed relevant for being Kurt Cobain's widow. For me, she has used his death to form an extended career and she revels in it. It's wrong.

Other than that, he was a brilliant artist. Nirvana don't do it for me but i understand and can see the legacy he left.

I tend to find it's other people that do that, far more than Courtney herself.
  • EraserheadEraserhead Posts: 22,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Such a tragic death. I remember hearing about it - my wife called down to me as I was about to leave for work. She was watching TV in the bedroom and said "Kurt Cobain's killed himself". I just stood at the bottom of the stairs dumbstruck.

I sometimes wonder what would have happened if he had lived. The pressure of fame was too much for him so I think he may have disbanded Nirvana, with Dave Grohl going on to do the Foo Fighters anyway, and Kurt would have built on the success of the MTV Unplugged session by going solo and doing low-key singer-songwriter stuff, possibly in the Mark Lanegan mould.
  • Big Boy BarryBig Boy Barry Posts: 35,293
    Forum Member
    Courtney Love gets a bad rap. In recent years she seems to avoid scandal and has just focused on looking after their kid who she's managed to keep out of the public glare for the most part.

As for Kurt, the music still sounds fresh.
  • Rae_AmuryRae_Amury Posts: 588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I will never forget how amazed I was after listening to Nirvana album for the first time. But what is more important, as you all have said, even after ten years it still feels great and refreshing to listen to them. There is something special to Nirvana, something that many other bands (even very good bands I used to listen to and then lost interest into) lack.

Nirvana was a band with unique character, energy, atmosphere and charm. One of those bands that simply stand out, if you know what I mean. Kurt was immensely talented, his death was tragic and a huge loss to the music world. It always hits me hard when I think about it :(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Courtney Love gets a bad rap. In recent years she seems to avoid scandal and has just focused on looking after their kid who she's managed to keep out of the public glare for the most part.

As for Kurt, the music still sounds fresh.

Given that Frances is 21 now, and had a restraining order granted against Courtney in 2009 on the grounds of domestic assault, I don't know how much Courtney has had to do with Frances growing up to be such a well-adjusted young woman (seemingly, of course). Kurt's sister and grandmother were appointed as her co-guardians.
  • SoupietwistSoupietwist Posts: 1,314
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was at the perfect age of 16 when Nevermind blow up in the UK. I remenber my mate getting hold of his Brothers copy of both Nevermind and Pearl Jam 'Ten' I was instantly blown away by both - I knew I was hearing music for the first time that spoke to me directly, everything I liked before that moment (mostly hair metal/rock) became it obsolete. I actually preferred 'ten' of the two albums but both were amazing. Fast forward 20+ years and I'm of to see Pearl Jam at Milton Keynes in July and can't ****ing wait - still my favourite band.
  • Georges GrunGeorges Grun Posts: 957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Seems somewhat muted for the 20 year anniversary.

Maybe everything that can be possibly said has been, time and time again.
    Forum Member
    Seems somewhat muted for the 20 year anniversary.

Maybe everything that can be possibly said has been, time and time again.

I guess so for me the best artist that has ever lived, but theres a part of me is annoyed that hes no longer around making music.
  • cody jarrettcody jarrett Posts: 1,941
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had tickets to go to see them at Aston Villa leisure centre in March 94. As Kurt was "ill" the date got put back to about 10th April. Damn.
  • walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,564
    Forum Member
    I had tickets to go to see them at Aston Villa leisure centre in March 94. As Kurt was "ill" the date got put back to about 10th April. Damn.

Me too! Gutted about that gig.
  • EraserheadEraserhead Posts: 22,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Shame. I was lucky enough to see them at two Reading festivals.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A relative of mine was at the legendary TJ's gig Hole played in 1991, reportedly where Kurt proposed to Courtney... but it's likely that's just a locally-convenient rumour no-one's yet proved untrue :D
    Forum Member
    Live and loud in full on sky arts 1 tonight
  • man_bear_pigman_bear_pig Posts: 441
    Forum Member
    the influence they had will probably never be repeated by any band again . genius
    Forum Member
    the influence they had will probably never be repeated by any band again . genius

They seem to be the last of the great rock/grunge bands. Today has been very mixed for me personally, tonight is kurt night from 9pm.

Finally decided to get a nirvana tattoo just gotta choose which one, i do fancy having having the lyric " I wish i was like you, easily amused" as i always say it to my baby daughter or the nirvana smiley.

Surprised more in the music forum haven't spoken.
  • TheWireRulesTheWireRules Posts: 1,307
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Never get tried seeing that Live and Loud gig, incredible.

Most would have seen it but their performance on the Johnathan Ross show always makes me chuckle.
  • walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,564
    Forum Member

Yeah, certainly no-one since has done what they did.
  • Rae_AmuryRae_Amury Posts: 588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just watched Live and Loud again and damn, it was so great and intense.
    Forum Member
    Rae_Amury wrote: »
    Just watched Live and Loud again and damn, it was so great and intense.

Pure raw energy and emotion, best live set i've seen and that says alot for some of the acts i've seen