Ellie Goulding- Lights VS Halcyon

Hav_mor91Hav_mor91 Posts: 17,183
Forum Member
✭✭
Lets get one thing clear I'm only discussing the albums in their original releases without all those unnecessary bonus tracks later added on Bright Lights and Halcyon Days which for me should only have ever been EP's.

Now that's out of the way :p I love her debut the lyrics are wonderful, vocals effortless and production as a whole really good only thing missing was the title track. I always liked how it was such a sparkly wistful album with a melancholic undertone which her lyrics really brought.

But for me Halcyon stands head and shoulders above anything else she has yet done. It was such a 180 a total flip from the airy fairy pixie of lights to this really dark and sad almost broken woman. The production, instrumentation and manipulation of her vocals on songs like Atlantis was just superb and that joyful resigned nature that plagues the album is just beautiful. So for me Halcyon wins.

And everyone else?

Comments

• LandslideBradLandslideBrad Posts: 5,085
    Forum Member
    I agree, Lights was a great album especially lyrics wise but Halcyon blows it out of the water.

But I think the singles that were released from Lights were much better than the singles she released from Halcyon.
  • Hav_mor91Hav_mor91 Posts: 17,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree, Lights was a great album especially lyrics wise but Halcyon blows it out of the water.

But I think the singles that were released from Lights were much better than the singles she released from Halcyon.

Same here Halcyon had so many more singles from the original My Blood,, Halcyon, Joy, I Know You Care but alas we got Halcyon Days instead....
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 966
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There's no competition. I don't need to expand on that.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 140
    Forum Member
    Lights just shades it for me.
  • Littlegreen42Littlegreen42 Posts: 19,964
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Halcyon is a masterpiece.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 526
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Halcyon for me. I love 'My Blood' so much.
  • scratchy23scratchy23 Posts: 3,675
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lights is more consistent but that's cos it's only got 10 tracks. It's also a bit samey at times. But I have a lot of love for that album cos it's helped me out throughout every exam period I've had since my AS levels (and I'm graduating uni this year so that's an awful lot of exams it's helped me through). It's the PERFECT album to revise to.

Halcyon has a few tracks I'm not keen on (Dead In The Water, Don't Say A Word, In My City, Without Your Love) but on the whole I think I prefer it. It's got way more variation than Lights, and has a lot of tracks that I REALLY love (Figure 8, I Know You Care, My Blood, Halcyon, Hanging On, I Need Your Love).

And if you bring in the repackages as well, Halcyon Days is just fantastic. "Bright Lights" is just okay.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    scratchy23 wrote: »
    Lights is more consistent but that's cos it's only got 10 tracks. It's also a bit samey at times. But I have a lot of love for that album cos it's helped me out throughout every exam period I've had since my AS levels (and I'm graduating uni this year so that's an awful lot of exams it's helped me through). It's the PERFECT album to revise to.

Halcyon has a few tracks I'm not keen on (Dead In The Water, Don't Say A Word, In My City, Without Your Love) but on the whole I think I prefer it. It's got way more variation than Lights, and has a lot of tracks that I REALLY love (Figure 8, I Know You Care, My Blood, Halcyon, Hanging On, I Need Your Love).

And if you bring in the repackages as well, Halcyon Days is just fantastic. "Bright Lights" is just okay.

I love DSAW that right there is how you open an album with a statement of intent. when that started you knew she meant business.

As for the re-releases I think BL is more in keeping with the original and doesn't diminish it. Halcyon Days especially the standard edition takes away from the original album and adds little.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 316
    Forum Member
    Prefer Lights over Halcyon, but both albums have some real gems in them.

My favorite off of Lights, is Your Biggest Mistake.
    My favorite off of Halcyon, is Dead In the Water.

I love Guns n' Horses, The Writer, Wish I Stayed, Halcyon, and Figure 8 very much too, though.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Prefer Lights over Halcyon, but both albums have some real gems in them.

My favorite off of Lights, is Your Biggest Mistake.
    My favorite off of Halcyon, is Dead In the Water.

I love Guns n' Horses, The Writer, Wish I Stayed, Halcyon, and Figure 8 very much too, though.

My favourite from Lights: This Love (Will Be Your Downfall)
    My Favourite from Halcyon: Atlantis
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 554
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    'Lights' for me is decent enough but just fairly average electropop overall, and it is quite samey. I think 'Halcyon' has a couple of weak tracks but is a much, much stronger album than her debut. It sounds less twee and much more mature, and sees her trying out some different, darker sounds and styles while still being very poppy and accessible. It is one of my favourite mainstream pop albums of recent years.
  • Everything GoesEverything Goes Posts: 12,972
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I never really got into Halcyon and much prefer Lights. Halcyon just seems bland where as Lights is has some great pop hooks.
  • MrMarpleMrMarple Posts: 3,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hated 'Lights' when I first bought it, but I did buy Bright Lights when it was released (no idea why considering I didn't like the original) and I ended up loving it for some strange reason.
    I avoided buying Halcyon because I guessed it would be re-released, and I really like that as well, so for me they're pretty equal to be honest. Quite different from each other, but both very enjoyable.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think one of the only issues with Halcyon is where certain tracks are placed wheras with Lights it was overall fairly cohesive.