Songs where the Lyrics just wind you up

dodger0703dodger0703 Posts: 1,957
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I don't mean when the lyrics are just a phrase said over and over, but when a particular lyric just makes you go 'arggggggggghhhhh'

This one used to get me all the time

The Reynolds Girls - I'd Rather Jack
The bit where they say

'Golden oldies, Rolling Stones, we don't want them back
I'd rather jack than Fleetwood Mac
No heavy metal, rock'n'roll, music from the past
I'd rather jack than Fleetwood Mac'

I like oldies, Rolling Stones, Fleetwood Mac and Heavy Metal and it used to get me so annoyed as their song was tripe

Comments

• Residents FanResidents Fan Posts: 9,204
    Forum Member
    dodger0703 wrote: »
    I don't mean when the lyrics are just a phrase said over and over, but when a particular lyric just makes you go 'arggggggggghhhhh'

This one used to get me all the time

The Reynolds Girls - I'd Rather Jack
    The bit where they say

'Golden oldies, Rolling Stones, we don't want them back
    I'd rather jack than Fleetwood Mac
    No heavy metal, rock'n'roll, music from the past
    I'd rather jack than Fleetwood Mac'

I like oldies, Rolling Stones, Fleetwood Mac and Heavy Metal and it used to get me so annoyed as their song was tripe

I had to laugh at that, because people still buy and admire all the
    music slagged off in their crappy song, but nobody remembers the Reynolds Girls
    except as a punchline. :D
  • TheSlothTheSloth Posts: 18,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    All Right Now by Free never fails as the lyrics are so, so bad. Maybe I'm irrational as most song lyrics aren't exactly Dylan Thomas-esque. But this one gets to me more than any other for some reason.

Aside from that, I must be getting old as bad grammar in lyrics annoys me more than it should! It's not as if I'm an expert on the subject either :D I Can't Get No Satisfaction is a lovely example, though...
  • Residents FanResidents Fan Posts: 9,204
    Forum Member
    I've always disliked Avril Lavaigne's lyrics , but the ones from "Sk8er Boi" really
    annoyed me:

"He was a boy, she was a girl. Can I make it any more obvious?"
    "He was a punk, She did ballet,What more can I say,"

So freaking boring!
  • Jon RossJon Ross Posts: 3,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Apparently, the 10 most baffling lyrics are:

•“Are we human, or are we dancer”, The Killers, Human.

•“I am the eggman, they are the eggmen, I am the walrus, goo goo g’joob”, The Beatles, I Am The Walrus.

•“What about elephants? Have we lost their trust?”, Michael Jackson, Earth Song.

•“Tom bol li de se de moi ya, hey jambo jumbo”, Lionel Richie, All Night Long.

•“Before you came into my life, I missed you so bad”, Carly Rae Jepson, Call Me Maybe.

•“Beats so big I’m stepping on leprechauns”, Black Eyed Peas, Boom Boom Pow.

•“The reflex is an only child, he’s waiting in the park”, Duran Duran, The Reflex.

•“Club Tropicana, drinks are free, fun and sunshine, there’s enough for everyone, all that’s missing is the sea”, Wham!, Club Tropicana.

•“Cause you were Romeo, I was a scarlet letter, and my daddy said stay away from Juliet”, Taylor Swift, Love Story.

•“Slowly walking down the hall, faster than a cannonball”, Oasis, Champagne Supernova.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/lifestyle/going-out/music/most-baffling-pop-lyrics-ever-3943826#ixzz39MyNdIyr

I don't know what's baffling about the Wham! lyric, that one makes sense to me. If they wanted a bad Wham! lyric they should have gone for Wham Rap.
  • Jon RossJon Ross Posts: 3,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had to laugh at that, because people still buy and admire all the
    music slagged off in their crappy song, but nobody remembers the Reynolds Girls
    except as a punchline. :D

Don't worry, Pete Waterman still made a fortune out of those puppets! :o
  • mialiciousmialicious Posts: 4,686
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dodger0703 wrote: »

But i bet there were thousands of people who sought out heavy metal and fleetwood mac because of how bad that song was...it was like a ringing endorsement.
    Jon Ross wrote: »
    I don't know what's baffling about the Wham! lyric, that one makes sense to me.

I think its because about three lines later he says 'watch the waves break on the bay'
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 554
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

•“I am the eggman, they are the eggmen, I am the walrus, goo goo g’joob”, The Beatles, I Am The Walrus.

•“What about elephants? Have we lost their trust?”, Michael Jackson, Earth Song.

•“Tom bol li de se de moi ya, hey jambo jumbo”, Lionel Richie, All Night Long.

•“Before you came into my life, I missed you so bad”, Carly Rae Jepson, Call Me Maybe.

•“Beats so big I’m stepping on leprechauns”, Black Eyed Peas, Boom Boom Pow.

•“The reflex is an only child, he’s waiting in the park”, Duran Duran, The Reflex.

•“Club Tropicana, drinks are free, fun and sunshine, there’s enough for everyone, all that’s missing is the sea”, Wham!, Club Tropicana.

•“Cause you were Romeo, I was a scarlet letter, and my daddy said stay away from Juliet”, Taylor Swift, Love Story.

•“Slowly walking down the hall, faster than a cannonball”, Oasis, Champagne Supernova.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/lifestyle/going-out/music/most-baffling-pop-lyrics-ever-3943826#ixzz39MyNdIyr

I don't know what's baffling about the Wham! lyric, that one makes sense to me. If they wanted a bad Wham! lyric they should have gone for Wham Rap.

I saw this yesterday and agree that the Wham! lyric isn't that weird. The Carly Rae Jepsen really isn't that bad either unless you take it completely literally. I've always assumed that the Oasis line is about being drunk and/or high. As for 'I Am the Walrus', surely that's intentionally nonsensical? Not quite the same as some of the others.

The Michael Jackson line is hilarious though - I'm amazed that I've never picked up on it before, I used to be a huge MJ fan!
  • DandemDandem Posts: 13,260
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

There's actually an explanation for that one:

The chorus of the song Human by The Killers, "are we human or are we dancer?", is based on something Hunter S. Thompson once wrote. "He says the lyrics were inspired by a disparaging comment made by Hunter S. Thompson about how America was raising a generation of dancers."
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,488
    Forum Member
    embryo wrote: »
    I saw this yesterday and agree that the Wham! lyric isn't that weird. The Carly Rae Jepsen really isn't that bad either unless you take it completely literally. I've always assumed that the Oasis line is about being drunk and/or high. As for 'I Am the Walrus', surely that's intentionally nonsensical? Not quite the same as some of the others.

The Michael Jackson line is hilarious though - I'm amazed that I've never picked up on it before, I used to be a huge MJ fan!

The next line is "where were you whilst we were getting high?", so that is the most likely meaning, yes...
  • ScottishWoodyScottishWoody Posts: 23,220
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shakira - Wherever, whenever

"Lucky that my breasts are small and humble so you don't confuse them with mountains"

Yeah, rumours have it there are several base camps containing confused mountaineers staring at their compass of many large breasted females, not Shakira though!
  • Under SoulUnder Soul Posts: 2,989
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That really pervy way Snoop ends 'Wiggle' by Jason Derulo, something about having a bright future behind you. Eewww!
  • shelleyj89shelleyj89 Posts: 16,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

What's baffling about that?!

TheSloth wrote: »
    Aside from that, I must be getting old as bad grammar in lyrics annoys me more than it should! It's not as if I'm an expert on the subject either :D I Can't Get No Satisfaction is a lovely example, though...

It's not just you. 'You and I' by Lady Gaga annoys me, as "Something about, baby you and I" is not grammatically correct. Same with 'Still Into You' by Paramore. "Some things just make sense and one of those is you and I." NO. I love 'Save You' by Kelly Clarkson, but Kelly, "I'm not going nowhere" is soooooooooo bad.
  • shelleyj89shelleyj89 Posts: 16,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    (Deleted)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 73
    Forum Member
    Busted - Year 3000

''I've been to the Year 3000,
    Not much has changed but they lived under water,''

That's a pretty big change. In fact, almost everything has to change in order for this to be the case.
  • mimicolemimicole Posts: 50,916
    Forum Member
    "Baby drop them keys" - Irreplaceable by Beyonce

Should be "...drop those keys". It's not even as if "those" wouldn't work.
  • Master OzzyMaster Ozzy Posts: 18,923
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mimicole wrote: »
    "Baby drop them keys" - Irreplaceable by Beyonce

Should be "...drop those keys". It's not even as if "those" wouldn't work.

But she's singing it to a man and saying to him "drop them keys, hurry up before your taxi leaves". I don't see anythign wrong with this one.
  • cashloot147cashloot147 Posts: 609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But she's singing it to a man and saying to him "drop them keys, hurry up before your taxi leaves". I don't see anythign wrong with this one.

Grammar. Drop them keys is bad. No wonder kids today don't speak properly.

Also 'Beneath Your Beautiful' would make sense if they called it 'Beneath You're Beautiful'. As it stands, it's ridiculous.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 554
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

'Drop them keys' is incorrect English, that's the point. As mimicole points out, using the correct phrase - 'drop those keys' - makes no difference to the number of syllables, so there's no reason why she couldn't have sung that instead.

Edit: looks like someone beat me to it!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Busted - Year 3000

That's a pretty big change. In fact, almost everything has to change in order for this to be the case.

I can't believe I didn't know this song was a cover when the Jonas Brothers did it. Although, I was only 13 but still.
  • TheTruth1983TheTruth1983 Posts: 13,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Grammar. Drop them keys is bad. No wonder kids today don't speak properly.

Also 'Beneath Your Beautiful' would make sense if they called it 'Beneath You're Beautiful'. As it stands, it's ridiculous.

A comma in yours would make it better - "Beneath, You're Beautiful".
  • walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,564
    Forum Member
    Busted - Year 3000

Stranger than that is the 'great, great, great granddaughter' line. Unless humans now live to about 250 years old it's not right.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Or they could just go with beneath your beauty. It would have been so easy to change the lyrics to let me see beneath your beauty, girl.
  • barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That immensely annoying lyric that was about somebody "needing some dollar". What made it even worse was when you started to here the more vacuous girls using it in conversation.
  • cashloot147cashloot147 Posts: 609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I noticed that after I posted. :blush:
  • qwerty_1234qwerty_1234 Posts: 950
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sjp07 wrote: »
    Or they could just go with beneath your beauty. It would have been so easy to change the lyrics to let me see beneath your beauty, girl.

I quite like the "beneath your beautiful" thing actually, I see it as a play on words rather than being grammatically incorrect.