Is it morally right for Big Brother to put someone brain damaged in the house? (Gary)

BoyardBoyard Posts: 5,393
Forum Member
He was in a motorcycle crash in the 80's making him pretty brain damaged and nearly costing him his life. In the 90's he had a golf ball sized tumour removed from his sinus cavity which is near his brain. He is partially deaf. He has gone through rehab because of drug and alcohol abuse as a result of depression due to his difficult life...

I know Big Brother's always been morally low as it is but I'm finding it increasingly uncomfortable to see the other flatmates lack of empathy towards his condition, especially Leslie, Stephanie and the ridiculously patronising James. :( They could give him a break for a little rudeness given all he's been through! Sometimes you can't even help being rude and snappy when you've had brain damage if it reaches certain parts of the brain. Yet another reason I'm not sure it was in good taste to put him in the house. Is there even a psych test anymore? Find it hard to believe he'd pass it really unless it's been hugely watered down.

Comments

• pondie84pondie84 Posts: 11,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hasn't he done other movie and TV work though? Was he fit for those and how do they differ from Big Brother?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 143
    Forum Member
    Would this only apply to brain damage - and if so, what extent of brain damage?

Or would this apply to any disability that may make you a bit different in social interactions if fellow housemates weren't empathetic?
  • PitmanPitman Posts: 28,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    even though he has brain damage he seems much more sane than Leslie, Frenchy and Kelly :cool:
  • white tigresswhite tigress Posts: 3,591
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Agree. I also think it was way too soon for Kellie to be in there--which Lauren Harries agreed with on BOTS. Still, guess this is what BB's become now. Not 'entertaining'--just uncomfortable. Prefer to see David & James make fools of themselves, and George being funny, but what do I know??
  • BoyardBoyard Posts: 5,393
    Forum Member
    Agree. I also think it was way too soon for Kellie to be in there--which Lauren Harries agreed with on BOTS.

Agreed. It seems like Channel 5 are more relaxed on the mental wellbeing of the housemates than channel 4 were.
  • SG-1SG-1 Posts: 16,709
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He is not a stranger to reality tv.
    Gary can make his own decisions without the quite frankly patronising tones about should he be doing the show because he has a disability.
    Gary has built a cult status since his op for being out there,and he is happy with that..its kept him in work for the past decade or so.

Do you think he is mentally incompetent to look after himself in the house?
    Just because it is not within medical advisability to stay out doors through the night does not mean he cannot be part of the show.
    Is it wrong for IAC to put people on the show who have to be ruled out of challenges because they have arthritis or are restricted in some way?

Gary is not vulnerable because he is unaware of what he is doing,he doesnt have alzheimers or something of that nature..he is fully aware and fully capable of taking care of himself,the issue is not with Gary but with some other hms including david,leslie,stephanie and james who maybe need a lesson or two in manners and consideration for any disabilities any of the hms may have.
  • ArcanaArcana Posts: 37,521
    Forum Member
    I'm sure that if Big Brother was an on-screen character rather than a faceless, abstract manifestation of the production team, viewers would not tolerate the way Big Brother treats the HMs in all sorts of ways.

'Big Brother' habitually behaves in a morally questionable way but the device of the disembodied voice prevents much of the outrage that would otherwise occur.
  • KT_DogKT_Dog Posts: 6,385
    Forum Member
    The man is a completely functional human being. As indeed are great swathes of people who have suffered through similar injuries. He's continued on with his life and career since his crash for almost 40 years now. He's not a fragile little china doll completely incapable of making his own decisions that Big Brother has kidnapped from a hospital ward and wheeled into the house and doubtless would balk at being perceived as such. There may well have been knock on ramifications from what he's been through - perhaps the unfounded guess that his snappiness relates to it IS true - but this would be something he's dealt with on a daily basis now for four entire decades. Some of the comments I've read since the start of this series on here and other online platforms appear to equate him appearing on this show with displaying the Elephant Man in a Victorian circus.
  • Esther_AspleyEsther_Aspley Posts: 731
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I dont think he seems well to me, and i dont mean that in a bad way, i think he seem sad and lonely, god love him
  • go57ukgo57uk Posts: 2,071
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    After watching the celeb wife swap clip on youtube I have decided that the Gary on CBB is acting a great part
  • Wayne_BWayne_B Posts: 739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    go57uk wrote: »
    After watching the celeb wife swap clip on youtube I have decided that the Gary on CBB is acting a great part

Do you have a link for this please ?