Options

Dose Spaying a cat change it's personality.?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 82,262
Forum Member
✭✭✭
when we first got my cat Molley,back in August this year from a local rescue centre she was just 4 months old - for the first couple of months she was always jumping up to sit and sleep on your lap or curl up next to me on my armchair. However sinced she was spayed in October, all this has changed although if you pick her up she will still sit on your lap and be stroked she now almost never comes onto your lap by herself or onto my armchair.

She dose still lie next to me on the sofa but at the moment she for obvious reasons prefers to be curled up by the radiator. We are now letting her outside for longer periods . She is still an affectionat little thing and purs when you stoke her and is fine with being cuddled.

But I am curious as to why she no longer wants to sit ion my lap - is the spaying to blame or is it just down to the fact we have now had her 6 months that she is now much more confident and secure in her home.

Comments

• Options
    molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just sounds like she is growing up to me, don't think the neutering caused it as mine always got cuddlier after being neutered.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,123
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think so. As said sounds like shes just growing up. My cats aren't as cuddly as they used to be esp as they have gotten bigger and can't get as comfortable on my lap as they used to.

Just part of growing up.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,044
    Forum Member
    Sometimes the girls can be a bit spiteful after neutering when they weren't before. I've known two female cats to be like this. They became very hissy and would swipe if their back was touched which meant it became a bit of a game of chance if one stroked them from head to tail - something which was no bother before. Neutering is obviously more traumatic for females than for males (especially if they are not kittens when the op is performed) so I think that the operation itself (ie the physical demands of it) can affect a cat's temperament although the emotional element is said to change more in male cats.

I personally find male cats (tom and neutered) to be easier to live with than females. I've had a tom and I've had a neutered boy. Both have been absolute softies with me and my family and very easy to get along with. If anything the tom was easier, much less demanding and no, he never sprayed or urinated in the house. He was very gentle, would get up on your lap, rub his head on the underneath of your chin and love his tummy tickled. He never swiped or bit in anger, though occasionally caught you in play. The neutered boy I have now is an absolute softie but very attention seeking. He will sit on the laptop if he thinks I'm on it for too long, will chat all day if he can get away with it, will paw you til you stop what you're doing and give him some attention and will sharpen his claws on the edges of my expensive rugs because he knows it will make me get up out of my seat (then I'll be met with a cable tie or pipe cleaner to play fetch with). Both the tom and the current boy (neutered) are half siamese moggies but the neutered boy is twice the size of my old tom cat. He is a gentle giant and I can honestly say that he has never bit or scratched me ever. His sister, on the other hand, can be a bit grumpy if she's nervous (ie new surroundings..or even if the wind blows from a different direction, lol). On the flip side, she lives for cuddles and will gurgle and chirrup away until I give in and she's padding up and down on my tummy in some kitten-like trance.

In an ideal world, I would not neuter them (I had a huge amount of guilt when I got them done as they are both beautiful cats with a lovely temperament) BUT looking back on my childhood friend who had a full natural life, it was not fun for him when he was old as tom cats will fight til the death and he had no teeth at the end of his life and a torn ear to boot. He lived til he was 17 and he was a true, wise old lion which was fascinating to watch and be part of (my parents had a huge garden and that was his - he had a kennel outside as he preferred to be outside and when he sat proudly surveing his queen (the neighbour's cat) and their litter, that was akin to watching a wildlife programme - fascinating).

But those days are gone and it is sensible to neuter. Toms if no trouble to you, will be trouble to other cats as they will expand their territory in today's world of small gardens and will fight poor old defenseless neutered boys til they give up their food, their hiding places and their women!

But as far as temperament goes, there will be changes but I personally have only noticed that female cats who have been neutered can be a little bit hissy at times.
  • Options
    cats_fivecats_five Posts: 1,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Female cats in general are more hissy than males, neutered or not. The actual operation is nothing to them physically - the last female I got done (9 months old) bounced out of the travel box amd spent the next hour or so doing the wall of death round the house before stuffing herself, the previous one was pretty much the same and the first after felling a bit sorry for herself that day got right back in with her 8-week old kittens and carried on feeding them. Each and every one of them got selective deafness when the vet said things like 'this will stop her feeding her kittens', 'keep her in a quiet place when she gets home', 'light food'. The second two had incisions under 1 1/2 cm long plus subcutaneous dissolving stiches, the first one the incision was a bit longer. I gather with the conventional side spay the muscle fibres are not cut, they are parted and after the op spring back to where they were.

My friends pedigree Siamese that had to be neutered with her last litter was a b*tch long before hand, she has calmed down somewhat but still hates any other female cat she sees.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    cats_five wrote: »
    Female cats in general are more hissy than males, neutered or not. The actual operation is nothing to them physically - the last female I got done (9 months old) bounced out of the travel box amd spent the next hour or so doing the wall of death round the house before stuffing herself, the previous one was pretty much the same and the first after felling a bit sorry for herself that day got right back in with her 8-week old kittens and carried on feeding them. Each and every one of them got selective deafness when the vet said things like 'this will stop her feeding her kittens', 'keep her in a quiet place when she gets home', 'light food'. The second two had incisions under 1 1/2 cm long plus subcutaneous dissolving stiches, the first one the incision was a bit longer. I gather with the conventional side spay the muscle fibres are not cut, they are parted and after the op spring back to where they were.

My friends pedigree Siamese that had to be neutered with her last litter was a b*tch long before hand, she has calmed down somewhat but still hates any other female cat she sees.

That's your opinion and only yours. My experiences above are true regarding the change in female cats and neither were Siamese. My two are now Siamese but the hissy cats that I was referring to were not. And Siamese are not 'bitches' as you state but very loving and trusting cats. But I expect anything you post to be in direct disagreement to me as they have tended to be in the past.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 82,262
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lozza73 wrote: »
    Sometimes the girls can be a bit spiteful after neutering when they weren't before. .

well that's certainly not a problem - my other cat who is 7 years old we've had 4 years he's been neutred and despite his big size he's a gentle boy. I did have another male neutred cat (who is sadly died)who we got from a rescue centre he'd allready been done and was just a year old when he got him. he was like Molley, the first month while we kept him indoors he would sit on your lap but after a while he stopped doing that.

It's always a bit dissapointing when your cat stops doing the things they used to but as already said it's just them becoming more independent as they grow up.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Larry1971 wrote: »
    well that's certainly not a problem - my other cat who is 7 years old we've had 4 years he's been neutred and despite his big size he's a gentle boy. I did have another male neutred cat (who is sadly died)who we got from a rescue centre he'd allready been done and was just a year old when he got him. he was like Molley, the first month while we kept him indoors he would sit on your lap but after a while he stopped doing that.

It's always a bit dissapointing when your cat stops doing the things they used to but as already said it's just them becoming more independent as they grow up.

Luckily I've not had that problem, mine still act like babies and crave cuddles but if that's your answer to your question then fine. Bit unsure why you started a thread though if you know the answer already.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,285
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Think it depends on their age when spayed. Had an older cat ( ex feral ) done and she's a lot more settled since she was done. Still got a little wildness in her but likes being stroked a lot more.
  • Options
    cats_fivecats_five Posts: 1,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lozza73 wrote: »
    That's your opinion and only yours. My experiences above are true regarding the change in female cats and neither were Siamese. My two are now Siamese but the hissy cats that I was referring to were not. And Siamese are not 'bitches' as you state but very loving and trusting cats. But I expect anything you post to be in direct disagreement to me as they have tended to be in the past.

Is my experience less valid than yours? BTW this particular Siamese is a bitch (her owner agrees), if you said that Siamese in general are lovely cats then I would agree. But not all of them are.

You also seem to be a bit paranoid as you imply I would deliberately post the reverse to you, when the truth is I can't remember you from nearly all the other posters here.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    cats_five wrote: »
    Is my experience less valid than yours? BTW this particular Siamese is a bitch (her owner agrees), if you said that Siamese in general are lovely cats then I would agree. But not all of them are.

You also seem to be a bit paranoid as you imply I would deliberately post the reverse to you, when the truth is I can't remember you from nearly all the other posters here.

No, your experience is as valid as mine when posted as your experience. I am very careful in my posts to state in my experience or I know of, etc. I object to people who post as an authority or with the intent to correct another poster's experience. And as your post mentioned Siamese, I felt it was a direct retort to mine.

I also recall a thread (although I cannot remember which) when you countered every post I made and along the way made a lot of incorrect assumptions and that is why I was keen to state that the two cats in question were not Siamese and in fact they were not my own (one was a neighbour's cat and the other was a female stray which adopted my parents).

A friend who happens to be a vet (when I discussed the change in temperament of the neighbour's cat) stated that they sometimes become a bit spiteful if they have not had the appropriate aftercare (understandable) and also if they have not been fully sedated (bit shocking).

If, however, you were not posting to correct me but just to post your experiences then I apologise. If you think I am paranoid then that is up to you but sometimes these threads can turn into minefields when all you are doing is posting to help someone answer a question and someone is intent on correcting you and telling you that something didn't happen when it did!

Anyway, happy new year and all that, no wish to start a cat fight.:D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,129
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All but 4 off my cats are speyed/neutered. I have had 4 females speyed and 7 males neutered. All but one changed personality for the good. He was unproachable before hand and is so so much friendler now. The others are getting speyed in a couple of weeks possibly all at the same time or 2 one week 2 the week later.
  • Options
    yorkiegalyorkiegal Posts: 18,929
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mine was neutered. He went from being a moody little bugger who scratched me all the time and kept going out on the town, to being a moody little bugger who scratched me all the time but stayed at home more.