Top Gear

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think you have quite grasped the concept of intelligent debate

Well, I certainly know where not to look for it....
  • GlengavelGlengavel Posts: 1,925
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Eagle9a wrote: »
    I thought it was OK..the only bit that really pissed me off was Clarkson stomping all over May when he tried to find out how the mini did in its first rally.......anybody know?

6th place in the Sardinia Italian Rally.
  • Trappedin80'sTrappedin80's Posts: 6,270
    Forum Member
    The show is still probably the best on TV. It has been from the start of this format.

I also liked the original Top Gear, in it's thursday half hour slot.
  • mikwmikw Posts: 48,715
    Forum Member
    Just watched it.

Very good indeed with minimal fakery.

I have to say, Clarkson's film about the E-type Jaguar is one of my TV moments of the year, with the Spitfires, the Wingwalkers and the finale on Beechy head.

Stirring stuff, nobody does that kind of thing better.
  • mikwmikw Posts: 48,715
    Forum Member
  • iamsofirediamsofired Posts: 13,054
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Havent watched this for a while but it still does all the old daft scripted situations that spoil it for me. Like when Hammond supposedly comes out of a shop and feigns surprise that his truck is being towed away only to jump in the truck and drag away the towers :rolleyes:
  • Eagle9aEagle9a Posts: 20,067
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Glengavel wrote: »
    6th place in the Sardinia Italian Rally.

Thank you :)
  • SoyokazeSoyokaze Posts: 551
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think you have quite grasped the concept of intelligent debate, to counter my argument try coming up with statements that disprove it rather than being disrespectful and rude.

I have watched it in the past, it has jumped the shark, that's my point.

Did you actually put forward an argument to debate, intelligently or otherwise? All I could see was some ageist diatribe about washing honda's and creosoting fences.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,121
    Forum Member
    I also liked the original Top Gear, in it's thursday half hour slot.

Yes I used to watch that show. It was actually about cars!
    Forum Member
    Aspartame wrote: »
    Yes I used to watch that show. It was actually about cars!

I actually miss it.
  • richard craniumrichard cranium Posts: 4,388
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    William Woollard I think ......and [gasp] Noel Edmonds as presenters.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,954
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is the best show on tv by a mile.

Has anyone else noticed that they always put the attractive women at the front. Not that I am complaining just something to think about lol.
    Forum Member
    This is the best show on tv by a mile.

Has anyone else noticed that they always put the attractive women at the front. Not that I am complaining just something to think about lol.

I had noticed the fit bird's at the front, but I couldn't say that they are any nicer looking than the bird's at the back.
    Forum Member
    William Woollard I think ......and [gasp] Noel Edmonds as presenters.

Yeah, I used to do impersonation's (crap one's) of Woolard, years ago. I liked him presenting TG, and the Lombard RAC Rally, too.

As for Noel, not keen.
  • trevgotrevgo Posts: 28,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So Clarkson slagged off the new MG did he? I didn't see it, as my intelligence has been more than adequately insulted over the recent past by TG, and I cannot stand the embarassment of watching the thing now.

Surprise of the decade.

I happen to think it's a dog's breakfast too, but given the parlous state of manufacturing, and the fact that MG might provide a few much needed West Midlands jobs, I would have thought it politic of Clarkson to keep his big mouth shut if he couldn't find anything positive to say. Not that such a prosaic matter would bother this ghastly pre-pubescent idiot, when his ego is continually massaged by Top Gear's collosal budget.

Given the era of austerity at the Beeb, I would have thought other programme producers might start to carp at the absurd amount of money that is thrown at this cinematic piece of infantile tripe on a weekly basis.
  • Richie1001Richie1001 Posts: 8,217
    Forum Member
    trevgo wrote: »
    So Clarkson slagged off the new MG did he? I didn't see it, as my intelligence has been more than adequately insulted over the recent past by TG, and I cannot stand the embarassment of watching the thing now.

Surprise of the decade.

I happen to think it's a dog's breakfast too, but given the parlous state of manufacturing, and the fact that MG might provide a few much needed West Midlands jobs, I would have thought it politic of Clarkson to keep his big mouth shut if he couldn't find anything positive to say. Not that such a prosaic matter would bother this ghastly pre-pubescent idiot, when his ego is continually massaged by Top Gear's collosal budget.

Given the era of austerity at the Beeb, I would have thought other programme producers might start to carp at the absurd amount of money that is thrown at this cinematic piece of infantile tripe on a weekly basis.

Do you know how much money they give to Top Gear to make the program or how much money Top Gear makes the BBC?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Richie1001 wrote: »
    Do you know how much money they give to Top Gear to make the program or how much money Top Gear makes the BBC?

No. Do you?

Do you think it would be less watched globally if the production values were restrained a tad? Or if the "presenters" treated their audience like 18 year olds instead of 15 year olds?
  • a_c_g_ta_c_g_t Posts: 1,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had noticed the fit bird's at the front, but I couldn't say that they are any nicer looking than the bird's at the back.

Those 2 behind Alice Cooper didn’t look old enough to bleed!!

Surprise of the decade.

Where the applaud emoticon? I feel exactly the same about TG JC. But then again the Beano and Dandy comics went on for decades with the same jokes week in and week out, however unlike TG you could use them afterwards to light the fire with which is one up on TG.
    Forum Member
    When I first saw the new MG, a couple of months ago, my first thought was, "Oh dear" as it is so bland, and cheap looling.

I thought that they would have come up with a better looking car than that.
  • richard craniumrichard cranium Posts: 4,388
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So Clarkson slagged off the new MG did he? but given the parlous state of manufacturing, and the fact that MG might provide a few much needed West Midlands jobs, I would have thought it politic of Clarkson to keep his big mouth shut if he couldn't find anything positive to say.

The show is regarded as an " entertainment " show in BBC circles, any credentials ( or responsibilities as your post implies ) it ever had as a serious motoring programme have long since disappeared up its own poo-hole, so they can slag off a perfectly OK mass market car as crap , while creaming their faded Levis at a limited edition 450Bhp Ferrari roller skate that only a few Man U. players can afford.

This is the magic of TG.
    Forum Member
    No. Do you?

Do you think it would be less watched globally if the production values were restrained a tad? Or if the "presenters" treated their audience like 18 year olds instead of 15 year olds?

Me? Nope - but then I didn't make a claim about the figures - hence why I asked you hoping you'd be able to provide some.

The production values were very restrained when the show started - you only have to re-watch the early series (since it came back) to see that.

The show has become more popular, hence made more money, hence had more money spent on it and so on. It's not a hard concept.

If you want a grown up car show then watch 5th Gear, or something along those lines.

Top Gear has found a market and does it well. It makes money, is shown worldwide and yet people still seem to want to take a dig at it, normally with either tired old arguments or without any actual proof to back up their claims.

Feel free not to like Top Gear, feel free to say that, but try to do so with some form of argument that can provoke discussion, not just the usual, unfounded comments.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When I first saw the new MG, a couple of months ago, my first thought was, "Oh dear" as it is so bland, and cheap looling.

I thought that they would have come up with a better looking car than that.

The thing was designed in China, and whilst our Eastern friends are very good at putting together Western designed product, their indigenous aesthetic skills are yet to be honed (and hopefully they remain undeveloped, for what remains of industry here). All that Sino-UK MG could do was a few minor tweaks to make it less Morris Marina-ish. Lipstick on a pig, undoubtedly, but hopefull enough folk will buy it because it's cheap to keep a few Longbridge folk in jobs.

If the parent company would bung money at UK designers and let them get on with it, they might get the result Tata have with Jaguar.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Top Gear has found a market and does it well. It makes money,

You just admitted you had no idea what the budget is, so how do you know "it makes money"?

It's found a market, sure. Probably the same market that would flock to see pit-bull fighting hosted by topless 6th formers. The Sun is by far the largest selling newspaper. Doesn't mean it's not a pile of crap.
    Forum Member
    You just admitted you had no idea what the budget is, so how do you know "it makes money"?

It's found a market, sure. Probably the same market that would flock to see pit-bull fighting hosted by topless 6th formers. The Sun is by far the largest selling newspaper. Doesn't mean it's not a pile of crap.

The link posted earlier has some information about their dealings with budget - the fact it is also sold to 100 countries worldwide is a pretty good indicator they make money - you don't need to know exact figures to be able to take a pretty good educated guess that Top Gear makes money. Look at the worldwide sales, merchandise etc..

So your argument is anyone who watches Top Gear is an idiot?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So your argument is anyone who watches Top Gear is an idiot?

Well personally, I feel patronised and embarassed by the sight of two middle aged and one trainee semi-talents behaving like chav joyriders in the local Asda carpark at 1AM.

If others don't, then I have no wish to speak on their behalf.
This discussion has been closed.