How does your employer deal with sick leave?

woofwoof77woofwoof77 Posts: 2,166
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I was just wondering if any other employers were as strict as mine.

Ive had 3 weeks off sick ,my 1st sick absence in at least a year.
i have a sick note from the doc to cover me.

Can my employer 'challenge' my sick note? Like say ' I don't believe you needed this amount of time off for this condition'

Or do they have to accept my sick note? Im just a worrier really.

When i go back i will prob get a stage 1 warning, there are 3 stages. Ok i know you have to sort out the pss takers but for people that are genuinly sick i just think its wrong. Most people cant help being sick.And esp with flu- would the employer rather me be at work spreading my germs so others get it and are off sick? Iwill prob have loads of forms to fill in etc....

is it like this at every employer?

i very rarely go sick, even if i get a cold/tonsilitis etc....i have still gone in but this time i was quite sick

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You employer shouldn't be challenging your sicknote. If you doctor says you are not fit for work then you are not fit for work.
  • PrinceOfDenmarkPrinceOfDenmark Posts: 2,761
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    woofwoof77 wrote: »

Can my employer 'challenge' my sick note? Like say ' I don't believe you needed this amount of time off for this condition'

When i go back i will prob get a stage 1 warning, there are 3 stages. Ok i know you have to sort out the pss takers but for people that are genuinly sick i just think its wrong. Most people cant help being sick.And esp with flu- would the employer rather me be at work spreading my germs so others get it and are off sick? Iwill prob have loads of forms to fill in etc....

i very rarely go sick, even if i get a cold/tonsilitis etc....i have still gone in but this time i was quite sick

Are you sure you weren't just swinging the Norolead?

We can only help you if you're truly honest with us ;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22,736
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LoopyDog wrote: »
    You employer shouldn't be challenging your sicknote. If you doctor says you are not fit for work then you are not fit for work.

You can still face disciplinary sick note or not, if you have breached policy. Happened to people in my last job. Instances of sick can render you unsuitable for the job regardless of doctors notes.

My new boss is great. There is only us 2 and he knows I would never take the mick.
  • StarryNight1983StarryNight1983 Posts: 4,593
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The company I work for has the exact same staging system - I went on a stage 0 when I had 3 days off to recover from my car accident but a girl I work with has had 94 days off last year and is only on stage 2 but still seems to keep having time off and nothing happens to her!

The staging is ridiculous if its not implemented correctly!
  • dorahalldorahall Posts: 1,296
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My employers take a dim view of any kind of sick leave, certificated or not :(
  • BirthdayGirlBirthdayGirl Posts: 64,285
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have a colleague who, when ill, always "works from home" - hence she's never off sick.

I've challenged it and hope to get that changed this year.
  • ganderpoke66ganderpoke66 Posts: 2,128
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My employer is exactly the opposite, the usual malingerers can take 6 months off on full pay and a further 6 months on half-pay, with illnesses ranging from bad back [ very popular ], to depression and stress [ even more popular ].

Of one inverterate lead swinger it has been worked out of his 25 years in the job 6 of those years have been spent "on the sick".
  • LollytrollLollytroll Posts: 369
    Forum Member
    In our place you have to ring in at a certain time every day you are off sick. After 3 days in a row you are expected to return with a self cert note. Anymore than 7 you need a fit note from the doctors. No matter how long you are off for when you return you have a back to work form and interview which gets placed on your work file.
    As long as you follow procedure out don't get in trouble. Fail to ring in you get a warning. Taking a lot of time off they review if you are up to the job
  • roland ratroland rat Posts: 13,829
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You can still face disciplinary sick note or not, if you have breached policy. Happened to people in my last job. Instances of sick can render you unsuitable for the job regardless of doctors notes.

My new boss is great. There is only us 2 and he knows I would never take the mick.

As is my boss, she know I have heart problems, and most times I dont feel well, exhausted, fatigued, and tired, but I make an effort to get into work

If how ever I phone in sick, normal sick rules dont apply to me, for a short period, then after this short period, I have to get a return to work interview, with counselling

So me and my manager we try to work thing s out, unlike the tax credit office, who have decided to remove my tax credits
  • roland ratroland rat Posts: 13,829
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dorahall wrote: »
    My employers take a dim view of any kind of sick leave, certificated or not :(
    Even if you have the norovirus

If you have this, you might aswell go into work, and give it to your boss, but you would proabably get into trouble for that, but if your employer take a diom view of sick leave...what are you suppose to do
  • tremetreme Posts: 5,445
    Forum Member
    I have a colleague who, when ill, always "works from home" - hence she's never off sick.

I've challenged it and hope to get that changed this year.

I'm a contractor so don't get paid sick leave, hence I will always "work from home" when I'm crocked.
  • spanglerokapispanglerokapi Posts: 523
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't wish to be a pedant but I thought that nowadays a doctor's note is a certificate of "fitness to work" where the doctor can recommend what he considers you capable of doing for instance "no heavy lifting for two weeks". If the employer can't meet this recommendation then the doctor may certify "not fit for work". I further suggest that if an employee is certified as unfit it is not necessary to reveal to the employer the exact nature of the illness hence the use of terminology such as "stress" or "bad back".
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 165
    Forum Member
    Lollytroll wrote: »
    In our place you have to ring in at a certain time every day you are off sick. After 3 days in a row you are expected to return with a self cert note. Anymore than 7 you need a fit note from the doctors. No matter how long you are off for when you return you have a back to work form and interview which gets placed on your work file.
    As long as you follow procedure out don't get in trouble. Fail to ring in you get a warning. Taking a lot of time off they review if you are up to the job

That's the same as our place. Some people at my work moan about it but I think it's pretty fair...and I've both self certified for a day (sickness bug) and was signed off by my GP (depression & anxiety). Both times I've never had any issue and they've been supportive.
  • cupoteacupotea Posts: 1,388
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't ever attend work just to please the boss if you've been signed off. They shouldn't allow you anyway, but even if they do both you and the company could be screwed if you have an accident on site.
  • davidmcndavidmcn Posts: 12,109
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Or do they have to accept my sick note?

Doesn't your employers' policy state what happens? Sometimes they say that they might e.g. refer you for a independent medical report if you are regularly ill. I would say it would be irregular for an employer just to disbelieve a doctor's note.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    treme wrote: »
    I'm a contractor so don't get paid sick leave, hence I will always "work from home" when I'm crocked.

She's not a contractor. She's a full time employee.

Dont see why she gets away with "WFH" when she's sick when everyone else actually IS off sick. If they did an audit, she'd be the healthiest one in the office (even though she's the sickest of us all!)

Trust me. That will change this year :D
  • tremetreme Posts: 5,445
    Forum Member

Dont see why she gets away with "WFH" when she's sick when everyone else actually IS off sick. If they did an audit, she'd be the healthiest one in the office (even though she's the sickest of us all!)

Just do the same.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    treme wrote: »
    Just do the same.

We cant.

Shes the only one with a works laptop. :mad:

(Dont get me started on why she's the only one....she just is)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 165
    Forum Member
    cupotea wrote: »
    Don't ever attend work just to please the boss if you've been signed off. They shouldn't allow you anyway, but even if they do both you and the company could be screwed if you have an accident on site.

This. Unless you're handing in a sick note or work that needs completing by someone else, we aren't supposed to be anywhere on site if signed off. To be honest when I was signed off/ill it was the last place on earth I wanted to be!
  • Westy2Westy2 Posts: 14,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We have swipe cards to go in & out of buildings, plus we have to ring in by a certain time when off sick & say whether we visited the doctor or not, plus say roughly when we were likely to be back in.

The system is press button on your telephone keypad & half the time it doesn't work properly.

I've had phone calls both at home & at work, where I've had to keep 'ringing' the system to open & close my absence records.

(Even did the one at work on loudspeaker with my colleagues witnessing, & it still didn't work properly!)
  • Dave1979Dave1979 Posts: 1,804
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I take it you are inferring that she doesn't actually work and its not just jealousy?

I have a laptop I can connect to my work network from home and it is really handy if I am feeling ill. I can work on the sofa under a duvet and keep my illness record clear.
  • TUTV ViewerTUTV Viewer Posts: 6,236
    Forum Member
    Roxocube wrote: »
    This. Unless you're handing in a sick note or work that needs completing by someone else, we aren't supposed to be anywhere on site if signed off. To be honest when I was signed off/ill it was the last place on earth I wanted to be!

We aren't even allowed to enter the building!

Around 10 years ago one of my colleagues received £25,000 in compensation from the firm I worked with after he suffered from Orchitis.

The unions/lawyers/medics identified that it was "highly likely" that it was as a consequence of another colleague who was suffering from measles(?) being instructed to come into work to do a hand over despite the sick-note and well-known risk.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh I hate some employers. My manager always goes on about peoples sick - yet he is always of sick. It's a joke.
  • bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I think a lot of staff in various organisations now, fundamentally misunderstand the draconian sick leave policies. It's not that the employer doubts your sickness, it's that the sickness itself is no longer tolerated ~ ie: by going sick for more days than your company trigger point allows, you are no longer deemed to be a fully effective worker.
  • g-bhxug-bhxu Posts: 2,594
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LoopyDog wrote: »

Try telling the DWP that for those trying to claim ESA!