English/British? A race, nationality or?

12345679»

Comments

• LucianBLucianB Posts: 569
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    oulandy wrote: »
    You mean Michael Howard the politician? I believe he's Romanian by parentage, though born in Wales.
    He is of Jewish decent.
  • LucianBLucianB Posts: 569
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    riceuten wrote: »
    Why not ? Better genetics, better community relations, for one.
    I would agree with having a genetic advantage, hybrid vigor as opposed to inbred depression.

The idea of better community relations is just some white middle class liberal nonsense. Mixed people are no different socially to any of the monorace people.
  • riceutenriceuten Posts: 5,876
    Forum Member
    LucianB wrote: »
    I would agree with having a genetic advantage, hybrid vigor as opposed to inbred depression.

The idea of better community relations is just some white middle class liberal nonsense. Mixed people are no different socially to any of the monorace people.

In terms of families intermarrying, it tends (not always, but tends) to bring families closer together, and explodes myths and legends about that particular group. Mixed people are indeed the same. BNP/UKIP people tend to think they weaken the race or dissolve the culture - specifically, the white culture, if mixed (as indeed do other rightwing groups like Shiv Sena in India or the Nation of Islam in Black America).
  • Speak-SoftlySpeak-Softly Posts: 24,737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hold no animosity towards you people, but at the same time I'm indifferent as to wether you exist or not.

Then why start a thread like this?:confused:

What does it matter to you what people, whom you are indifferent to, think about their nationality/ethnicity or how they describe themselves/others.

EDIT

QUOTES ARE ALL MESSED UP
  • psychedelicpsychedelic Posts: 2,597
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hold no animosity towards you people, but at the same time I'm indifferent as to wether you exist or not.

Then why start a thread like this?:confused:

What does it matter to you what people, whom you are indifferent to, think about their nationality/ethnicity or how they describe themselves/others.

I felt a bit sorry for him/her - fancy living in a country where you seem to dislike everyone so much :confused:
  • AJRevittAJRevitt Posts: 1,123
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've never understood people who insist they're English/Scottish/Welsh not British or British not English/Scottish/Welsh. Yes, I accept that some may prefer one 'label' than the other, but whether they like it or not someone who describes themselves as English or Scottish or Welsh is also British. Likewise someone who describes themselves as British is also English or Scottish or Welsh.

My mother is half Irish, my father a very proud Welshman (even though he's lived up here for nearly 40 years), but I've lived in Northern England all my life, so I would definitely describe myself as British. But I'm equally happy to describe myself as English and indeed I always support England when they play Wales or Ireland in the six nations every year. I'm proud of my heritage but I'm also proud of the country I was born in and spent all my life in.
  • cessnacessna Posts: 6,747
    Forum Member
    There were few if any problems on the English/British issue untill our Govts chose to embark on their mass immigration programme - We have always absorbed immigrants for Centuries but in recent years many of us have become increasingly concerned at the huge influx that no Government seems seriously interested over in turning off the tap of everlasting mass immigration that now seriously threatens to overpopulate this small land !

One of the effects of a Govt allowing unchecked huge mass immigration is the realisation that the English especially - are well on the way to becoming the minority in their own land - or to become just a memory.

With almost every nationality in the world now able to
    claim British citizenship - the term British has become meaningless - hence more and more prefere to describe their own personal nationality as English - and who can blame them ?
  • AntiDoteAntiDote Posts: 320
    Forum Member
    It seems some people have great difficulty in understanding the differences between Britain/England and British/English.

THEY are the ones that cause the most problems.
    Forum Member
    [QUOTE - Some people have great difficulty in understanding the differences between Britain/England and British/English.

THEY are the ones that cause the most problems.[/QUOTE]

>>>>>>>>

Sorry - If blame is being sought then the origins and cause of the 'problem' lies fair and square with this Govt - and especially with the previous Govt !

Forum Member
    cessna wrote: »
    Sorry - If blame is being sought then the origins and cause of the 'problem' lies fair and square with this Govt - and especially with the previous Govt !

No, it's with the English people who prefer to say England/English when they mean Britain/British and vice versa.

This reveals their elitist attitude towards the rest of the home countries which in turn makes the Celts want to stand out and establish themselves more and away from England.

The English then get the attitude of "We don't need them anyway" and the problem just increases from there.

A good example is the EDL - the idiot who started it meant British Defence League but being a bit thick, he used 'English' instead. Although Celt versions popped, it shows why 'English' is connected to extreme right-wing attitudes. Same for the BNP, if you watch any of their rallies you'll see plenty of St George's Cross flags there.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6
    Forum Member
    My dog was born in a stable but that doesnt make him a horse.

If my english parents went on holiday to spain, and she was 7 months pregnant and had me prematurely while she was there, would i be spanish?
    Forum Member
    [QUOTE=AntiDote; No, it's with the English people who prefer to say England/English when they mean Britain/British and vice versa.

This reveals their elitist attitude towards the rest of the home countries which in turn makes the Celts want to stand out and establish themselves more and away from England.

The English then get the attitude of "We don't need them anyway" and the problem just increases from there.

A good example is the EDL - the idiot who started it meant British Defence League but being a bit thick, he used 'English' instead. Although Celt versions popped, it shows why 'English' is connected to extreme right-wing attitudes. Same for the BNP, if you watch any of their rallies you'll see plenty of St George's Cross flags there.[/QUOTE]

>>>>>>

Fraid youve got it wrong - It would have been too long winded to bring in the Welsh Scots etc in my blog - and incidentally never have flown the St George flag and no longer wish to fly the Union Jack. I refere to myself as English for no other reason than i am in fact - English !

As stated thanks to the last two UK Govts the term British so far as I am concerned no longer has any relevance to a persons true nationality
  • JB3JB3 Posts: 9,308
    Forum Member
    I thought 'British' was an invented bureaucratic word to describe people that were citizens of Great Britain.

Edited to correct; subjects, not citizens.
    Forum Member
    cessna wrote: »
    Fraid youve got it wrong - It would have been too long winded to bring in the Welsh Scots etc in my blog - and incidentally never have flown the St George flag and no longer wish to fly the Union Jack. I refere to myself as English for no other reason than i am in fact - English !

You've missed the point - if you're English and you express yourself as English then that's fine, I applaud you and would be happy to defend your rights to think and act that way.
  • reglipreglip Posts: 5,268
    Forum Member
    Im english because i was born here in england. It irritates me how some none-white people refer to themselves as british rather than english when they were born here because they are intimindated into thinking that they are not accepted as such when i view them as no less english than myself.
  • Dawn SunDawn Sun Posts: 1,287
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Moony wrote: »
    But its not that straight forward. I'm sure there are many people who were born in England - but who dont consider themselves English.

Likewise, I imagine Cliff Richard might think of himself more as English than Indian (or maybe he doesn't!).
    Forum Member
    reglip wrote: »
    Im english because i was born here in england. It irritates me how some none-white people refer to themselves as british rather than english when they were born here because they are intimindated into thinking that they are not accepted as such when i view them as no less english than myself.

But they're entitled to call themselves British...because they are British! Some people associate Englishness with racism so you can see one of the reasons they'd prefer to say 'British'.
  • reglipreglip Posts: 5,268
    Forum Member
    AntiDote wrote: »
    But they're entitled to call themselves British...because they are British! Some people associate Englishness with racism so you can see one of the reasons they'd prefer to say 'British'.

I understand why but i resent that feel they have to
    Forum Member
    reglip wrote: »
    I understand why but i resent that feel they have to

As I said earlier, it's only because a lot of English people say British/British when they mean England/English. They only have themselves to blame.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 119
    Forum Member
    I use English to describe those born and raised in England. I use British to describe those born and raised in England, Wales or Scotland.
    I think a lot of national identity relates to culture as well as birthplace. Someone can be born in England to foreign born parents and be raised in a foreign culture and therefore be both English, British and another nationality.

On the other hand, I consider myself English and British. I was born in England to a mother and father both born in England. My father just happens to be of Jamaican heritage through his parents, my mother is of English/European heritage. I am mixed race for all intents and purposes, but I identify completely with English culture, I am no less English in culture than my white neighbours. Interestingly a lot of people I have spoken with from other countries find it difficult to equate mixed-race with English and are often surprised to find out I was born in England.