Cyclist nearly hit at level crossing

123457»

Comments

• SupratadSupratad Posts: 10,447
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    benjamini wrote: »
    She has contacted police.

She was phoning for a pizza, but with her eyesight?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,565
    Forum Member
    Supratad wrote: »
    She was phoning for a pizza, but with her eyesight?

No. She was phoning specsavers. :D
  • Archie DukeArchie Duke Posts: 1,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Supratad wrote: »
    I know that rapid euro-style barriers were brought in sometime in the 60's due to delays caused by the old fashioned, guy pulling huge wooden gates across the road, but then there was that accident with the huge transformer across the tracks and that led to the introduction of telephones at every level crossing.

Indeed, Hixon I think.

It's a sad reflection but all through Railway history accidents have had to happen in order for improvements to be made to rail safety systems.
  • Dragonlady 25Dragonlady 25 Posts: 8,587
    Forum Member
    Indeed, Hixon I think.

It's a sad reflection but all through Railway history accidents have had to happen in order for improvements to be made to rail safety systems.

True, but many of the accidents have been the result of human error-like this lady, not following rules/instructions.
  • TrollHunterTrollHunter Posts: 12,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    benjamini wrote: »
    She has contacted police.

Handed herself in for her own protection presumably?
  • SupratadSupratad Posts: 10,447
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    True, but many of the accidents have been the result of human error-like this lady, not following rules/instructions.

It could be said that most of these accidents were the result of lack of foresight when designing systems precisely for safety.

The introduction of braked carriages for example. No one saw that a failed connection in the system would lead to all carriages behind being left with no brakes. The led to some 180 deaths IIRC on a train in Ireland.

Signals that froze in the "Line Clear" position

Replacing the token bar for single tracks with walkie talkies, and so on and so on.

More recently however, Paddington was a driver missing a signal and Selby was a tired man falling asleep and driving off the M62. I went past the site only yesterday...."ruts in the hard shoulder dragged me off" my foot!
  • UlsterguyUlsterguy Posts: 3,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is exactly the same as going through the red light at a road junction. Why do people think the red lights and barriers at level crossings are there just to hinder the traffic?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,219
    Forum Member
    It reminds me of the time I had to scream at a Turkish driver not to take his minibus around a half crossing. I was ****ting myself, I don't mind admitting.

(This was in Turkey, btw).

There have been cases of drivers who have managed to ignore level crossings in recent years. Stupid is stupid, regardless of its chosen transport method.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 478
    Forum Member
    Skyclad wrote: »
    She did not cross a barrier - the way was clear. The barrier did not fully block the road.

Neither of us know truly if it was a mistake or intentional - only she knows that.

It blocked her side of the road. She should have been to the left or middle of her side of the the road. Did she think it was a road junction where she could turn right up the railway tracks? There's no defence here at all
  • d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,526
    Forum Member
    Dangerous level crossings to close, says rail regulator

500 more of 'em to close and safety improved at hundreds more. And not before time!
  • HeavenlyHeavenly Posts: 31,915
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am always aghast when I see people start to run when they hear the alarm, laughing, trying to beat each other, thinking its funny because the gates are closing. :eek:

I just find it bizaare and downright dangerous.
  • TrollHunterTrollHunter Posts: 12,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    d'@ve wrote: »

500 more of 'em to close and safety improved at hundreds more. And not before time!

So if 500 crossings close, does that mean access over the track is no more? Seems a bit short sighted to me. If something's dangerous, fix it, don't just remove it.
  • butterworthbutterworth Posts: 17,875
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ulsterguy wrote: »
    This is exactly the same as going through the red light at a road junction. Why do people think the red lights and barriers at level crossings are there just to hinder the traffic?

I'll bet that there are a lot more accidents caused by running red lights at road junctions, than level crossings.

But we don't have calls for every junction to be fitted with foolproof rising bollards, or whatever...
  • d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,526
    Forum Member
    So if 500 crossings close, does that mean access over the track is no more? Seems a bit short sighted to me. If something's dangerous, fix it, don't just remove it.

That's what they will do at the "hundreds more" I guess.

I think it's fair to assume that most of the closed crossings will have an alternative means of getting across, not too far away.
  • Dan SetteDan Sette Posts: 5,816
    Forum Member
    The Darwin principle should apply.
  • Bulletguy1Bulletguy1 Posts: 18,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What I find pretty sad on here is the number of 'above the law' cyclists attempting to justify this womans crass behaviour with remarks such as, "the barrier wasn't across her side of the road...."!

Of course not......when you are on the wrong side of the damn road!! :rolleyes:

I suppose she thought the cars waiting behind the barrier were simply parking. :rolleyes:
  • tealadytealady Posts: 26,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bulletguy1 wrote: »
    What I find pretty sad on here is the number of 'above the law' cyclists attempting to justify this womans crass behaviour with remarks such as, "the barrier wasn't across her side of the road...."!
    How did you reach that conclusion? Which cyclists?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,915
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Probably a lot of footpaths, will be a shame to lose them.
  • TardisSteveTardisSteve Posts: 8,077
    Forum Member
    woofwoof77 wrote: »
    Yet another.

http://news.sky.com/story/1149243/level-crossing-near-miss-cyclist-cheats-death

I just don't know how you could miss the warning signs.. A barrier and flashing lights?! I guess people still like to take their chances.

I bet she had earphones in and was totally unaware of what was going on around her :rolleyes:

what, she must of known the barriers were down and that a train was passing and that also he must of known that it is against the law to dodge the level crossing, there isn't a separate law for the cyclists, although some and i said some seem to think the law doesn't apply to them
  • davidmcndavidmcn Posts: 12,109
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Bear in mind 700 have already been closed over the last five years, so this is just a continuation of the same programme. The vast majority of level crossings are minor ones. Some will have been replaced with bridges, others are nearby to convenient alternative crossings and don't really involve much of a detour, others might be redundant because the road or path has been closed anyway, many are only used by one farmer who can probably be paid off for the inconvenience of having to cross the line somewhere else.
  • jenziejenzie Posts: 20,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    d'@ve wrote: »

more like they can't improve them, so they shut them :rolleyes: