Options

Jacket potatoes Foil or not?

i love skyi love sky Posts: 3,297
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I was always told to wrap Jacket potatoes up in foil before putting in oven but does it do them any good doing that?

Do you wrap yours and does it cook them faster by doing so?

Comments

• Options
    benjammin316benjammin316 Posts: 264
    Forum Member
    I fork them, pop them in microwave for 6mins each side then put them in the over, no foil for about 15mins
  • Options
    NX-74205NX-74205 Posts: 4,691
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Only if they're being done on an open fire, otherwise they're just pricked, rubbed with olive oil and sea-salt and then placed in the oven. Anybody who does jacket spuds in a microwave should be ostracised from polite society and/or burned at the stake for heresy.
  • Options
    StrakerStraker Posts: 79,657
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NX-74205 wrote: »
    Anybody who does jacket spuds in a microwave should be ostracised from polite society and/or burned at the stake for heresy.

Harsh but fair.
  • Options
    walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,944
    Forum Member
    Only if they're being done on an open fire, otherwise they're just pricked, rubbed with olive oil and sea-salt and then placed in the oven. Anybody who does jacket spuds in a microwave should be ostracised from polite society and/or burned at the stake for heresy.

I wouldn't go that far, but I agree that unless you don't eat the skin then you can't do a jacket in the microwave and get a good result. I don't bother with foil either, just salt and olive oil and cook them to within an inch of their life.
  • Options
    Apple22over7Apple22over7 Posts: 698
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wrap them in foil - but then I'm a weirdo who doesn't like a crispy skins on jacket potatoes and much prefer a softer, soggier skin.
  • Options
    FusionFuryFusionFury Posts: 14,121
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They are lovely cooked in anyway

Can't beat a British jacket potato.
  • Options
    petral_galpetral_gal Posts: 1,051
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No foil definitely! I have to admit though, I do enjoy occasional microwaved ones as i love the hard bit you get at the bottom. Crisssspy!!
  • Options
    bobcarbobcar Posts: 19,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    To get the skins crispier use water rather than fat on the skin before cooking, if you want the skins soft then use fat. It sounds counter intuitive but it is correct.
  • Options
    indianwellsindianwells Posts: 12,702
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    All I do is prick them, chuck a handful of salt on a baking tray, put them on top of the salt and in the oven for an hour. Always come out fluffy in the middle with a crispy skin.
  • Options
    sarahj1986sarahj1986 Posts: 11,305
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've never used foil. I wash them, prick them and stick them in the oven
  • Options
    walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,944
    Forum Member
    bobcar wrote: »
    To get the skins crispier use water rather than fat on the skin before cooking, if you want the skins soft then use fat. It sounds counter intuitive but it is correct.

Really? I always use olive oil and get super crispy skin.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Really? I always use olive oil and get super crispy skin.

When I use olive oil the only way I can get the skin hard is if the inside is also soft and fluffy which I hate. With water I can get the skin crispy but the inside cooked but not fluffy as I like it or if I want for other people (the wife usually) fluffy by cooking a bit longer.
  • Options
    Glawster2002Glawster2002 Posts: 15,211
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Anybody who does jacket spuds in a microwave should be ostracised from polite society and/or burned at the stake for heresy.

Not at all.

Initially part cooking them in the microwave for @ 5 minutes havles the time needed in the oven and the result is exactly the same.
  • Options
    Andrew1954Andrew1954 Posts: 5,448
    Forum Member
    Not at all.

Initially part cooking them in the microwave for @ 5 minutes havles the time needed in the oven and the result is exactly the same.
    Yes. That's what I do. I also stick an old metal knife through the potato before putting it in the oven. Conducts heat through to the centre so you don't get hard bits in the middle.

Foil? What does that achieve?
  • Options
    Jasper92Jasper92 Posts: 1,302
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ooh, good question! My Mum swears by using foil, claiming it keeps the heat in. I say the exact opposite, and leave the foil out so I can have a really crispy skin :-p
  • Options
    Watcher #1Watcher #1 Posts: 9,046
    Forum Member
    No foil, but then I'm a microwave for 5 mins, oven for 15 jacket spud person - mostly because I usually fancy one when I don't have an hour and quarter to wait...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Andrew1954 wrote: »
    Yes. That's what I do. I also stick an old metal knife through the potato before putting it in the oven. Conducts heat through to the centre so you don't get hard bits in the middle.

That's a good tip if you like them soft inside - and a bad tip if like me you like them nice and firm inside. (EDIT: That comes across as a bit double entendre, I didn't mean it like that).
  • Options
    HectorMcClureHectorMcClure Posts: 1,754
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm another who does them in the microwave. The key is to keep turning it every minute or so in the micro. Otherwise it overcooks on one side and goes hard. Once it's near enough cooked I coat it in olive oil and salt and pepper and put it in the oven for ten mins to crisp up.
  • Options
    StrakerStraker Posts: 79,657
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Olive oil taints the taste though.

There are no shortcuts - Jacket spuds are most assuredly not a fast food when done right.
  • Options
    callmedivacallmediva Posts: 1,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Straker wrote: »
    Harsh but fair.
    nice one
    :D
  • Options
    callmedivacallmediva Posts: 1,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I stick em in the oven just as they are, then when they're nice and crispy, I take them out, scoop out the potato, mash with butter and cheese, then place under the grill with a slice of cheese on top, til it's melted. :)