Nurses to debate charging £10 to see a doctor

Comments

• TagletTaglet Posts: 20,286
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How do you suggest fixing 17 million missed appointments in a single year?

Better use of technology.....and screening by a GP before an appointment is booked.
  • JB3JB3 Posts: 9,308
    Forum Member
    It won't leave them with less income, if they show up. If you are ill enough to book an appointment, you are ill enough to turn up and not waste the doctors time.
    The point was that not everyone has a spare tenner floating around to lash out on an appointment if they feel ill.

Getting it back, creates an admin role, for a start, and it still pre supposes the prospective patient had a tenner in the fisrt place.
    Forum Member
    Never Nude wrote: »
    I give up
    I am about to join you.

Is it hard of thinking day today?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It wouldn't kill poor people as if it's a serious/life threatening condition you would go to A&E not to the local GP.

It actually shifts the problem to A + E because people who dont have a tenner will turn up there.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,471
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It wouldn't kill poor people as if it's a serious/life threatening condition you would go to A&E not to the local GP.

It could kill people in the long run. We are already terrible at spotting the early signs of things like cancer, this will just make it even worse. Nah,I wont get that lump checked out I don't have a tenner to spare for example
    Forum Member
    And even if they had the tenner and attended the appointment and got it back

they'd still be short a tenner until the refund was processed,actioned and recived.
  • Hollie_LouiseHollie_Louise Posts: 39,977
    Forum Member
    Taglet wrote: »
    Better use of technology.....and screening by a GP before an appointment is booked.

How does screening before appointments make people turn up for their appointment?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JB3 wrote: »
    I am about to join you.

Is it hard of thinking day today?

I am on the verge of banging my had against my desk.
    Forum Member
    It's far more expensive to be treated at A+ E, than it is to see a GP, that is why the gov.(such as it is) has created schemes to stop people doing that.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How does screening before appointments make people turn up for their appointment?

Any professional worth a job would take case history into account when offering advice/appointments. How hard would it be to ask about the last missed appointment?

How about you pad out your payment/refund suggestion with a little detail seeing as you expect me to.
    Forum Member
    I have a bruise..
  • shmiskshmisk Posts: 7,963
    Forum Member
    It's far more expensive to be treated at A+ E, than it is to see a GP, that is why the gov.(such as it is) has created schemes to stop people doing that.

Go to a and e these days with something trivial you see the GP there
    So should they charge?
    Forum Member
    People just have to stop missing appointments and then it won't matter, this will never have to happen.

There was a doctor on TV talking about this issue a while ago and she said on one day, eight or nine consecutive appointments failed to appear. That's appalling.
  • dan_blamiresdan_blamires Posts: 1,006
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How can you get money back if you don't have the money in the first place? :confused:

Oh silly, I forgot, every person in poverty are filthy scroungers who are all living in big mansions watching sky on flat scree tvs.

Oh I forgot, the hard pressed poor dont have £10 to spend on their healthcare, and have to eat at foodbanks etc... its wearing a bit thin now.
    Forum Member
    shmisk wrote: »
    Go to a and e these days with something trivial you see the GP there
    So should they charge?

No......
    Forum Member
    Taglet wrote: »
    Any professional worth a job would take case history into account when offering advice/appointments. How hard would it be to ask about the last missed appointment?

How about you pad out your payment/refund suggestion with a little detail seeing as you expect me to.

It's not my suggestion. I don't book appointments I don't attend so it's not an issue for me. That's all people have to do.
    Forum Member
    Oh I forgot, the hard pressed poor dont have £10 to spend on their healthcare, and have to eat at foodbanks etc... its wearing a bit thin now.
    For some people it is true.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It could kill people in the long run. We are already terrible at spotting the early signs of things like cancer, this will just make it even worse. Nah,I wont get that lump checked out I don't have a tenner to spare for example

Is that a wise choice? In fairness I would would save £10 from my benefits to get that checked. I realuse then I wouldnt be able to say the government wants to kill me and all yhe poor people but what price piece of mind?
  • shmiskshmisk Posts: 7,963
    Forum Member
    No......

Personally I don't think anyone should charge.
    We aren't America.
  • 2-Pot Screamer2-Pot Screamer Posts: 34,238
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A whole raft of studies was carried out before the NHS came into being, and taxation came out as the only way it could be economically funded.
    Any other form of invoicing and payment would cost/waste so much funding, it's just not viable.
    Very good point.

It'd be the height of naivety to think that this charge would be held at £10 for long - soon, it would be pointed out that it costs more to collect than the funds it provides, and substantially increased to 'cover costs'.

It'd also be naive to assume that it would remain a 'refundable deposit' for long, once it was realised there was a money-collecting mechanism conveniently already in place, which would be even less expensive to administer if deposits never had to be returned.

If that sounds unduly cynical, you can be sure that those with their 'eyes on the prize' (the prize being a de facto privatised NHS) would be so to. ;-)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is that a wise choice? In fairness I would would save £10 from my benefits to get that checked. I realuse then I wouldnt be able to say the government wants to kill me and all yhe poor people but what price piece of mind?

This is just getting ridiculous now. I have never read a thread where so little brain power has been on show. Since this is DS that says a lot
  • bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Moggio wrote: »
    Because some people don't have £10 to spare.

That's fine - the unemployed would quite reasonably be exempt from the process.

I'd bet that it's mainly working people who miss their appointments anyway.
    himerus wrote: »
    I wonder how much it would cost to administer this system?

Probably a great deal less than all the missed appointments cost in terms of time and inconvenience.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A whole raft of studies was carried out before the NHS came into being, and taxation came out as the only way it could be economically funded.
    Any other form of invoicing and payment would cost/waste so much funding, it's just not viable.

It is a totally different animal thesedays from the days of inception. Treatments running into millions of pounds. Totally different. It needs to be looked at again and if its something we value it is something we wont mind paying for.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is just getting ridiculous now. I have never read a thread where so little brain power has been on show. Since this is DS that says a lot

Pleased you realise.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It is a totally different animal thesedays from the days of inception. Treatments running into millions of pounds. Totally different. It needs to be looked at again and if its something we value it is something we wont mind paying for.

Because that works so well in America....................