Options

Samsung Galaxy Alpha

kidspudkidspud Posts: 18,341
Forum Member
✭✭
The (almost) metal Samsung has been announced

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-28771156

Will be interesting to see what price they are looking for.

Comments

• Options
    finbaarfinbaar Posts: 4,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The GS2 lives again.
  • Options
    The SackThe Sack Posts: 10,415
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    doesnt look like an iPhone at all.
  • Options
    Mark in EssexMark in Essex Posts: 3,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm surprised that there is rumors of it being a 4.7" display and also why make the back plastic - if people are that bothered about a phone being plastic (which I am not) why not go the whole hog and have the back plastic as well (unless it's something to do with letting the radio signals through)?
  • Options
    calico_piecalico_pie Posts: 10,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I expect some posters will start wanging on about how Samsung mustn't have been giving their customers what they wanted, like they did when it became apparent Apple were doing an iPhone with a larger screen.

In the name of balance and subjectivity I would expect nothing less.
  • Options
    StigglesStiggles Posts: 9,618
    Forum Member
    The Sack wrote: »
    doesnt look like an iPhone at all.

Someone didn't say that surely?!!!! :o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    finbaar wrote: »
    The GS2 lives again.

I think the GS2 was the best looking galaxy of them all!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    calico_pie wrote: »
    I expect some posters will start wanging on about how Samsung mustn't have been giving their customers what they wanted, like they did when it became apparent Apple were doing an iPhone with a larger screen.

Do you have to start this on every thread?..

As for your post...what???
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Stiggles wrote: »
    Do you have to start this on every thread?..

As for your post...what???

I thought it was obvious.

In the thread about the iPhone with the larger screen, the notion that Apple hadn't been providing their customers with what they wanted was a common theme.

I was just curious to see if there would be a similar theme here about Samsung not giving their customers what they wanted.
  • Options
    biawhiskabiawhiska Posts: 316
    Forum Member
    i like it. but i liked the S2
    i prefer plastic phones tho as i drop mine so much. still using the S3. love it. :)
  • Options
    AxeVictimAxeVictim Posts: 3,029
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They have put sticking plaster on the back again...:blush:
  • Options
    kidspudkidspud Posts: 18,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think the GS2 was the best looking galaxy of them all!

I agree:o I think samsung should have keep that style.
  • Options
    alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The GS2 lives again.
    GS3.

Like I mentioned when CPW were getting rid of them all for a crazy low price.
    This is the upgraded replacement so get a GS3 if you still can.

And maybe they could have made the back only plastic for fussy countries like Korea who like good call/GPS signals
    :rolleyes:
  • Options
    finbaarfinbaar Posts: 4,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Why would anyone say that? Android buyers ,being an exceedingly intelligent and discerning lot, are able to choose from a number of manufacturers offering differing screen sizes, build materials and design. Samsung have always given their customers what they want as customers who didn’t want a Samsung phone bought something else. The Alpha simply shows again that Samsung want a phone in every niche.

So the question should really be why do iPhone buyers who want a phone with a bigger screen – which must be somewhere between 0 and 100% of them – continue to buy iPhones?
  • Options
    GeordiePaulGeordiePaul Posts: 1,323
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    GS2 the best looking phone they did? It looked pretty much the same as all of the others, only squarer!

Some are claiming this gets better benchmarks than the S5 which I find hard to believe given its middling hardware specs.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It uses OctaCore, has a screen only as high resolution as the Moto G so it should be the fastest phone on the planet whilst also having Moto G + like top end battery life.

Yes the screen resolution is mid end by todays standards but as we well know, there is far worse out there !
  • Options
    d123d123 Posts: 8,605
    Forum Member
    I think someone at Samsung was having a laugh with the naming considering how much of an iPhone 5 clone it is.

Alpha is phonetic for A, and A is for Apple...

;).
  • Options
    KieranDSKieranDS Posts: 16,545
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It looks awful. It's a shame Samsung cannot design a phone as nice as the iPhone. And it still has a plastic back. What's the point?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why would anyone say that?

Android buyers ,being an exceedingly intelligent and discerning lot, are able to choose from a number of manufacturers offering differing screen sizes, build materials and design. Samsung have always given their customers what they want as customers who didn’t want a Samsung phone bought something else. The Alpha simply shows again that Samsung want a phone in every niche.

So the question should really be why do iPhone buyers who want a phone with a bigger screen – which must be somewhere between 0 and 100% of them – continue to buy iPhones?

You could just as easily ask:

Why do Galaxy buyers who want a phone with a metal frame – which must be somewhere between 0 and 100% of them – continue to buy Galaxies?

Presumably because they do what most people do. They weigh up the pros and cons, and buy the phone that they think suits them most.

So someone might, for example, want a bigger screen, but prefer iOS, and prefer the design of the iPhone, and think it important that the iPhone works better together with their Mac etc.

Or someone might, for example, want a metal frame, but have had good experiences with Samsung in the past, want a top end phone, like the Samsung only features etc
  • Options
    Forum Member
    d123 wrote: »
    I think someone at Samsung was having a laugh with the naming considering how much of an iPhone 5 clone it is.

Alpha is phonetic for A, and A is for Apple...

;).

Where does it look anything like an iPhone 5? Looks absolutely nothing Like it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    You could just as easily ask:

Why do Galaxy buyers who want a phone with a metal frame – which must be somewhere between 0 and 100% of them – continue to buy Galaxies?

Presumably because they do what most people do. They weigh up the pros and cons, and buy the phone that they think suits them most.

So someone might, for example, want a bigger screen, but prefer iOS, and prefer the design of the iPhone, and think it important that the iPhone works better together with their Mac etc.

Or someone might, for example, want a metal frame, but have had good experiences with Samsung in the past, want a top end phone, like the Samsung only features etc

Oh Jesus.....

Do you just sit there all day thinking of really daft things to say?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Where does it look anything like an iPhone 5? Looks absolutely nothing Like it.

Reallly?

Looks like others would disagree with you .

Samsung’s new Galaxy Alpha is an iPhone look-alike with a metal frame
    http://venturebeat.com/2014/08/13/samsungs-new-galaxy-alpha-is-an-iphone-look-alike-with-a-metal-frame/

Samsung Galaxy Alpha does it look to much like an iPhone?
    http://forums.androidcentral.com/samsung-galaxy-alpha/425445-samsung-galaxy-alpha-does-look-much-like-iphone.html

Samsung launches ultra-thin iPhone 5s-inspired metal Galaxy Alpha smartphone
    http://www.techtimes.com/articles/12780/20140814/samsung-launches-ultra-thin-iphone-5s-inspired-metal-galaxy-alpha-smartphone-and-reveals-release-date.htm

The Alpha's metallic chassis shows through in an exposed flat rim, which is a pretty blatant lift from the iPhone 5S itself.
    http://www.trustedreviews.com/opinions/samsung-galaxy-alpha-vs-iphone-5s-how-does-samsung-s-first-metal-smartphone-compare#k0zWwhqTsKrDlviO.99

Five minutes on google...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh Jesus.....

Do you just sit there all day thinking of really daft things to say?

I don't think the idea that people weigh up the pros and cons of a device is that daft.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Reallly?Looks like others would disagree with you .
    ...Five minutes on google...
    One lot of users are obsessed that all Samsung are uglier than their iPhones, and the other lot obsessed telling us they are clones.

The subliminal message is always the very same 'buy an iPhone'.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Reallly?

Looks like others would disagree with you .

Samsung’s new Galaxy Alpha is an iPhone look-alike with a metal frame
    http://venturebeat.com/2014/08/13/samsungs-new-galaxy-alpha-is-an-iphone-look-alike-with-a-metal-frame/

Samsung Galaxy Alpha does it look to much like an iPhone?
    http://forums.androidcentral.com/samsung-galaxy-alpha/425445-samsung-galaxy-alpha-does-look-much-like-iphone.html

Samsung launches ultra-thin iPhone 5s-inspired metal Galaxy Alpha smartphone
    http://www.techtimes.com/articles/12780/20140814/samsung-launches-ultra-thin-iphone-5s-inspired-metal-galaxy-alpha-smartphone-and-reveals-release-date.htm

The Alpha's metallic chassis shows through in an exposed flat rim, which is a pretty blatant lift from the iPhone 5S itself.
    http://www.trustedreviews.com/opinions/samsung-galaxy-alpha-vs-iphone-5s-how-does-samsung-s-first-metal-smartphone-compare#k0zWwhqTsKrDlviO.99

Five minutes on google...

Yes really. It looks like the S2 which was out before the 5. Thus based on your observations, apple copied samsung.

Common sense...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Yes really. It looks like the S2 which was out before the 5. Thus based on your observations, apple copied samsung.

Common sense...

Looks less like the S2 than the iPhone. I remember my s2 being totally plastic with rounded edges.

Maybe your recollection is hazy?