Options

Battle of the Brains

13»

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,890
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would imagine that their objection was being put up in a hotel where the breakfast cost £16.95 but being given a breakfast allowance of £5! The members of my team were all local enough to be able to drive to the studio and not stay overnight but I think if a company want you to stay in a hotel of their choice they could at least pay the cost of the breakfast.
    Londinius is quite right as well that we were all kept hanging around in corridors in between shows. I do think that if a TV company expects you to stand up in a studio for about 7 hours a day (which my team had to do as we recorded 3 shows in one day) the least they can do is to provide a room to sit down in between shows.
    I have to say that this was the cheapest show I've ever been on - though not the worst, that dubious honour goes to the truly dreadful People's Quiz which locked people up in separate rooms for hours at a time, made several people cry and wasted half of my annual leave entitlement for 2007!

(By the way Londinius, many congratulations on your brilliant Mastermind win!)
  • Options
    londiniuslondinius Posts: 19
    Forum Member
    davads wrote: »
    Not sure what their objection is here - being asked to provide receipts? I think that's fairly standard practice if you go on a TV show. Or did they expect to be subbed 15 quid each (rather unlikely)?

I probably didn't explain myself very well here. I think the objection my friend had was that the production company were being so cheap , but still ecpected to be provided with receipts, and if the receipts didn't add up to your £5 allowance, then you wouldn't get your £5 allowance. I think the way it was done, and the way things were said to my friends made them feel that the production company felt as if they were trying to cheat them somehow. It left a very nasty taste in their mouths.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Delilahcat wrote: »
    I have to say that this was the cheapest show I've ever been on - though not the worst, that dubious honour goes to the truly dreadful People's Quiz which locked people up in separate rooms for hours at a time, made several people cry and wasted half of my annual leave entitlement for 2007!

(By the way Londinius, many congratulations on your brilliant Mastermind win!)

Thanks ! I am not being falsely modest when I say that I had a run of luck last year. I think quite a few people had a higher score than I did in the first round, but none of them were in my heat, thankfully. likewise, mine was only the second best score in the semis, but thankfully Stewart who had the highest score in the semis was in another semi final. Mind you, that was tough luck on Hamish Cameron who was in the same semi as Stewart. He had the third highest score in all the semis, yet was only stand-in for the final.In 2006 I lost out to Kath Drury in the first round, although I was at the semis as a stand in high scoring loser. I did see you there on the first day, I think.

The People's Quiz - what were they thinking ! I'm delighted to be able to say that I've never quite had one of those experiences on television. We were very well treated on "Come and Have A Go . . . ", treated like royalty on "WWTBAM ", and always quite well treated on "Mastermind ". Having said that though, the Final in Glasgow last year was a bit odd. We were told to be ready by 3:30 to be picked up at the hotel. Nobody came for us until gone 4, and then they walked us round to the University, despite the fact that it was absolutely tipping down with rain. I don't think that Derek's mum found it that easy to do the walk either.

Worst treatment was on Eggheads, but even that wasn't that bad. I didn't like the hotel in Gloucester Road they put us up in, since its the only time I've ever had to sleep in a broom cupboard. Still, Daphne, Chris and Kevin were all staying in the same place, so I suppose we can't complain. We were each given £5 for an evening meal - which just about stretches to a Big Mac !

Congratulations on being one of what I guess is only a VERY few teams to get some cash from Battle of the Brains. With every show that goes by its becoming clearer and clearer just what an achievement that is.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Just tonight and tomorrow left. I would be surprised if this gets another series. I suppose that this must have been very cheap TV to make, which would appeal to the BBC, but even so it has consistently failed to be what it could have been. Salutary lessons to learn : -

* - Its very easy to make a quiz format that is far too complicated. This was such a quiz.

* - If you have a quiz for very good quizzers, asking a 'guess the number question' is both insulting and cringeworthy

* - If you make it incredibly difficult to earn even the small amount of money you are offering, then you are just going to turn people off.

- If you make a new half hour team quiz show you have to make it significantly different in format from Eggheads

Will it come back ? Doubt it very much.
  • Options
    elite fileselite files Posts: 15,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Goes to show all great quizzers have a weakness, The madonna singles round 58 songs to choose from and he couldnt name one:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Yes, that's true. You really are sometimes better off knowing a bit about EVERYTHING, rather than a lot about MOST things.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 570
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    londinius wrote: »
    Just tonight and tomorrow left. I would be surprised if this gets another series. I suppose that this must have been very cheap TV to make, which would appeal to the BBC, but even so it has consistently failed to be what it could have been. Salutary lessons to learn : -

* - Its very easy to make a quiz format that is far too complicated. This was such a quiz.

* - If you have a quiz for very good quizzers, asking a 'guess the number question' is both insulting and cringeworthy

* - If you make it incredibly difficult to earn even the small amount of money you are offering, then you are just going to turn people off.

- If you make a new half hour team quiz show you have to make it significantly different in format from Eggheads

Will it come back ? Doubt it very much.

Pretty much agree with all of that. And if it does come back a new host wouldn't go amiss, this fella is as dull as dishwater ~ he reminds me of a cross between Dale Winton and Jimmy Carr :)
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Same here. They have tried to put in little quirks into the rounds and the finish, but it's all convoluted.
    Couldn't believe the different rounds - a "nearest to" round which was an insult to the contestants ("let's have a guessing round"). A music round that consisted of one answer and a round about shipping forecast areas which consisted of three answers.
    What is the point of an "Against the clock" round when the host continues to read the full question and answer when interrupted?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    What is the point of an "Against the clock" round when the host continues to read the full question and answer when interrupted?

I couldn't agree more. When they started filming they hadn't even thought about whether you should be allowed to interrupt or not. This was where Paddy O'Connell was at his worst. He floundered and started to babble the moment anyone interrupted him at all. I was very annoyed when he heard my friend Liz give a wrong answer, but asked her to repeat it wasting even more of her time.
  • Options
    MikayMikay Posts: 10,504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is that it for the series then? I only really started watching the week before last.. but still found the same problems as you did at such a late stage in the series.

It's such a shame that Paddy O'Connell now has this black cloud on his CV.. he's brilliant at Eurovision and there's a lot of calls from the thread for him to take over from Terry Wogan.. now I'm hoping the BBC don't look at this shambles and decide to go with someone else!

The standard are contestants was very high, but I only wish the format wasn't as dreadful...
  • Options
    davadsdavads Posts: 8,643
    Forum Member
    Mikay wrote: »
    Is that it for the series then?

That would appear to be the last show for now, yes. Even though the winning team got to come back "next time"!
  • Options
    MikayMikay Posts: 10,504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    davads wrote: »
    That would appear to be the last show for now, yes. Even though the winning team got to come back "next time"!

I thought the defending team failed to get the "next time" question right...

Paddy then said "Join us next time when two new teams.." which'll probably never happen.. thank God.
  • Options
    davadsdavads Posts: 8,643
    Forum Member
    Mikay wrote: »
    I thought the defending team failed to get the "next time" question right...

Oh, did they? It's possible, I wasn't entirely concentrating.
  • Options
    ThebensterThebenster Posts: 6,879
    Forum Member
    This is coming back - with new host Nicky Campbell! :eek:
  • Options
    ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes it returns next week without the dreadful ''Paddy'' whose career must now be in meltdown as he has failed at everything the BBC has offered him over the years.I recall a (very) brief appearance on Breakfast doing the business news when he didn't know where the camera was.Rather like Nick Knowles and others he seems to think his presence is all that is required, no research needed and certainly no charisma included.