Nice and not very nice celebrities who you have met

Comments

• katmobilekatmobile Posts: 10,873
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    soundcheck wrote: »
    Colin Baker was lumbered with problematic scripts and production decisions with which he was not comfortable. He was also caught in internal BBC politicking that he did not start and really wanted nothing to do with. Then they unceremoniously dumped him.

It's quite amazing, really, that he wants anything to do with Dr Who at all, when you consider how poorly he was treated. And yet, he consistently proclaims that he loved his stint on the show, throws himself into conventions with gusto, and generally acts as an unpaid Who ambassador-at-large. I think that says everything that needs to be said about what sort of person he is.

I agree totally but then he's very much in the intelligent fanboy category which includes Tennant and Capaldi who was a huge fan before he got to be the Doctor. That it something that struck me on the anniversay program that he was obviously a massively intelligent guy with a great sense of humour who had the misfortune to be on the show at a bad time.
  • pinkbellybuttonpinkbellybutton Posts: 1,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hopwoodl wrote: »
    Someone told me last week that Justin Fletcher, aka Mr Tumble is a terrible diva (this will only mean something to parents with toddlers-sorry)

hopwoodl wrote: »
    Someone I know is very good friends with someone in children's tv and it's with his peers he's like this apparently, especially at awards shows. Apparently seems to think he's better than everyone else. No idea if this is just perception though

Ahhh I'm inclined to believe this. The relative of a boy I used to work with was (possibly is, or maybe married by now) engaged to him. The boy told me he wasn't as nice as he seemed on TV and refused to go to a younger child's birthday, even though they were soon to be family, because he didn't want to be Mr Tumble (not that he was asked to be).
  • Johnny_CashJohnny_Cash Posts: 2,564
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dorydaryl wrote: »
    Was this before or after he became a 'Born Again Christian'?

After, and I mean I had a lot of experience with him, Tommy, kept himself to himself, Bobby, as nasty a man as I had ever encountered, really nasty.
  • MoJo-GirlMoJo-Girl Posts: 979
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am a bit of thespian so I know a lot of thespian-type people and one of my friends was in Oliver with Rowan Atkinson. Apparently he was a really, really nasty man. He treated the "non famous" people as if they were something on the bottom of his shoes. My friend was in a fairly long run of the show and so saw this behaviour on a pretty regular basis. One of his assistants had told the director that the chorus weren't allowed to speak to him off stage and at one point he even shushed the chorus during a warm up. The director had to politely remind him that they were actors too...

I've met Matt Dawson, Jonny Wilkinson, Ross Kemp, Jay Kay (Jamiroquai), Barbara Windsor, Alan Carr, Chris Barrie, Peter Andre, David Beckham (lush!) and a few others that I can't think of right now.

All of them were lovely - Matt Dawson helped me up when I slipped on some ice at the Wasps rugby ground. I was so embarrassed but he was lovely!

The "OK" lot...
    Sean Connery was really scary - very intimidating (but not horrible per say) and Chelsea Healey was very cute but really loud during a film screening - constantly talking to her friend (loudly) and texting - WITH THE KEYBOARD CLICK ON!! But again, not horrible!

As for the not-so lovely, Alan Titchmarsh is an absolute b@stard (long, long story but he was vile),
  • hatpeghatpeg Posts: 3,213
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A friends son had to deliver a new car to Rod Stewarts house in Epping, and when he arrived, along with a colleague, Rod welcomed them and said "come in lads, fancy a bacon sarnie?"
    They went into his kitchen, and after sorting out the paperwork for the car, had a bacon sarnie. and a cup of tea with Rod, who stayed and chatted to them for sometime.
    He was really down to earth, and made them feel welcome.
  • dorydaryldorydaryl Posts: 15,927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    After, and I mean I had a lot of experience with him, Tommy, kept himself to himself, Bobby, as nasty a man as I had ever encountered, really nasty.

Thanks for replying. He'd kind of admitted to being an ar*e prior to his 'conversion' but I thought he was supposed to have had a bit of an epiphany since and seemingly become a better person. Looks like you've seen a different side to him. It seems, often, that a religious conversion can make an already obnoxious person even more so. I do know of people like that.
  • dinkycatdinkycat Posts: 44
    Forum Member
    seawitch wrote: »
    In the 80s when she was a Southwark councillor and I was a journalist, I went to a conference which she also was attending and during the buffet lunch break, by mistake I sat at a table reserved for councillors. She totally blanked me. She could have pointed out in a friendly way that I was at the wrong table.

Tessa Jowell, who was a Camden councillor at the time, was the opposite. She was always friendly and chatty and polite to me.

I met Harriet Harmen in the early 90's, when she 'had' to visit the Care Home I managed. (One of my wonderful residents, who was 105 at the time was being interviewed for a TV programme about the suffragette movement as she had been one!!!) Harriet was as snotty then as she is now.
  • Gloria FandangoGloria Fandango Posts: 3,834
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MoJo-Girl wrote: »

As for the not-so lovely, Alan Titchmarsh is an absolute b@stard (long, long story but he was vile),

Do tell... don't leave us hanging!

:blush: :cool:
  • stargazer61stargazer61 Posts: 70,910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    hatpeg wrote: »
    A friends son had to deliver a new car to Rod Stewarts house in Epping, and when he arrived, along with a colleague, Rod welcomed them and said "come in lads, fancy a bacon sarnie?"
    They went into his kitchen, and after sorting out the paperwork for the car, had a bacon sarnie. and a cup of tea with Rod, who stayed and chatted to them for sometime.

Wow!!:D
  • .Lauren..Lauren. Posts: 7,864
    Forum Member
    My Aunt met Richard O'Brien in the 90's whilst on a day out in a park in London. She said he was quite unassuming (weirdly!) but a completely wonderful guy who took the time to answer all my cousins questions about The Crystal Maze. All in all he spent about 20 minutes chatting to them and she said it seemed like it was a genuine pleasure to him, rather than doing it just to be polite.
  • dekafdekaf Posts: 8,398
    Forum Member
    hatpeg wrote: »

:D Brilliant. This doesn't surprise me in the least.
  • Poppy99_PoppyPoppy99_Poppy Posts: 2,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dekaf wrote: »
    :D Brilliant. This doesn't surprise me in the least.

Love this story. You don't get more famous than Rod, and yet he is down to earth.
  • GwylfaGwylfa Posts: 799
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am a bit of thespian so I know a lot of thespian-type people and one of my friends was in Oliver with Rowan Atkinson. Apparently he was a really, really nasty man. He treated the "non famous" people as if they were something on the bottom of his shoes. My friend was in a fairly long run of the show and so saw this behaviour on a pretty regular basis. One of his assistants had told the director that the chorus weren't allowed to speak to him off stage and at one point he even shushed the chorus during a warm up. The director had to politely remind him t

I have commented on him on other posts....there is something about him that has always struck me as false.Would love to hear your story.
  • soundchecksoundcheck Posts: 351
    Forum Member
    katmobile wrote: »
    I agree totally but then he's very much in the intelligent fanboy category which includes Tennant and Capaldi who was a huge fan before he got to be the Doctor. That it something that struck me on the anniversay program that he was obviously a massively intelligent guy with a great sense of humour who had the misfortune to be on the show at a bad time.

Yes, he is intelligent, charming and humble. I've only met him very briefly at a few cons (and I haven't been to a Dr Who con for years and years), but he always struck me as thoroughly decent. He used to write a regular column in the Buck Free Press. I didn't always agree with him - in fact I often disagreed - but he wrote with conviction and charm, and was a pleasure to read.
  • sheila bligesheila blige Posts: 8,010
    Forum Member

OH is a gardener (I really good one) and he's always thought AT was a bit of a knob (he says half the time he talked a load of gardening bollocks!)
  • realwalesrealwales Posts: 3,110
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sambda wrote: »
    From a friend who did an advert with George Cole.

He was quiet, but very professional. Didn't really talk much unless you approached him. Gave polite one-line answers to questions, but didn't really instigate any conversation. He seemed happier when talking about the people he had worked with in his older career (50s) than Arthur Daley etc. But a very easy bloke to work with due to his professionalism.

George is a quiet, softly-spoken man. That's how he always came across in the interviews he did to promote his recent autobiography. He makes no secret of the fact he found Arthur Daley a hideous person!
  • 21stCenturyBoy21stCenturyBoy Posts: 44,493
    Forum Member
    CeeCee87 wrote: »
    Lawernce Llwellyn Bowen-snobby prat who stood outside his car door for about 10 mins until his driver came and opened it for him. Wouldn't acknowledge me when I served him, no manners-his driver was lovely though.

Cannon and Ball-lovely guys

It's a common theme in this thread. The low-rent no-marks often have the biggest ego and delusions of their own stardom.
  • Poppy99_PoppyPoppy99_Poppy Posts: 2,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CeeCee87 wrote: »
    Lawernce Llwellyn Bowen-snobby prat who stood outside his car door for about 10 mins until his driver came and opened it for him. Wouldn't acknowledge me when I served him, no manners-his driver was lovely though.

Cannon and Ball-lovely guys

On Vanessa F's radio show recently she was talking about manners. She attended an event and she was put on a table with LLB and his wife. She said that he (and his wife) had the most exquisite manners, ensuring that everybody on the table were included in the conversation, and LLB would stand up when a woman left the table. She said he was lovely. They had an etiquette expert on and she said that she had also met them and she agreed that the couple were charming and had great manners. But I can imagine that the manners would be reserved for fellow celebrities and the like, not joe public. I quite like him but he has this snobby air and thinks he is part of the aristocracy, when clearly he is not.
  • Fairyprincess0Fairyprincess0 Posts: 30,038
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    skunkboy69 wrote: »
    Geoff Capes was a horrible nasty man.As was Robbie Coltrane.Alan Shearer is a gent and so is Peter Beardsley.

Geoff capes once swore at me. He was doing some promotional shit for a firm of fly-by-night supermarkets.

Him and all us staff had to go out to the car park for some photographs. All said, jokingly, was 'it's a nice sunny day to be making a fool of yourself.' and Geoff replied, 'who gives shit if you make a fool of yourself.'

Nice attitude from the worlds fattest ****......
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 15
    Forum Member
    John Barrowman is lovely, just like you see on TV really, though a bit more reserved apart from his laugh!

Damon Albarn - he was OK, not too warm but not offensive either. There is an air of self-importance about him though and he had holes in his shoes!
  • MoJo-GirlMoJo-Girl Posts: 979
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Do tell... don't leave us hanging!

:blush: :cool:

I was on the same plane as him flying either from or to Spain (I can't remember, such a long time ago!) with my family. The plane had to sit on the runway in Spain for a long time as there was some sort of delay. Obviously the plane got really, really hot and stuffy. My grandad, who had suffered a stroke two years earlier, was starting to feel really poorly and burning up. We asked the flight attendant if he could perhaps stand by the door (which was open) just to get some air. The attendant said no as it wasn't safe. She was absolutely lovely about it and got him some ice etc but just couldn't let him stand near the door. He understood and didn't cause a problem, but was starting to go a funny colour so they asked for a first aider to look at him. He was fine and just needed to cool down.

Alan (who was sat next to me - he smelt like bleach) was tutting every time my grandad said something about being hot or feeling poorly (he wasn't the only one moaning but Alan only tutted when my grandad spoke).

When my grandad actually asked if he could sit by the door and the attendant said no, Alan grabbed her arm and said "Can I stand by the door?" The attendant said "No, nobody can - it's not safe." He then smiled and ACTUALLY SAID "Do you know who I am? I think you'll want to stand me by the door." The attendant frowned and said "It doesn't matter who you are, sir, you're not standing by the door."

Alan swore under his breath and then turned away. He then muttered something to his friend about having to put up with everyone on the plane and he should have taken his own plane. WAKE UP TITCHMARSH, YOU WERE FLYING ECONOMY SO GET OFF YOUR HIGH HORSE!!

Then in the airport, he was walking around like he was David Beckham. No one approached him and he looked annoyed. He kept looking at people, hoping that would snare a few autograph hunters. It was absolutely laughable at how desperate he looked.

It doesn't sound like much of a story, but he was such a slime ball. He makes my skin crawl and whenever I see him on the telly, I want to vom.
  • petertreepetertree Posts: 628
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Having lived and worked in a very well off area of south west London for many years, I have quite a list of meetings.
    I have served as customers:-
    Jane Seymour (buying brides magazines just before first wedding)
    Richard O'Sullivan and Tessa Wyatt (very friendly regulars)
    Leslie Crowther (only once but was charming)
    Hugh Lloyd (regular but always seemed unhappy as per his character on screen)
    Rod Hull (about two weeks before his death)
    Michael Fish (very chatty and friendly)
    Lizzie Web (Mad Lizzie) (used to come in for ciggies!)
    David Dixon (Hitchhiker's Guide) (had children at my child's school -seemed a good laugh)
    Gillian Bailey (Ginny in Poldark) (very friendly, kept us up to date on Robin Ellis)
    Anthony Valentine (only person I went jelly kneed at, he must have just finished Callan looking at dates) (regular customer -lovely person signed a paper bag for me)
    I have talked to or had sightings of:-
    Peter Lewis (TV news announcer)
    Peter Snow (very funny and intelligent)
    Brian May
    Elspet Gray
    Roy Kinnear (crossed road with him outside my house)
    Jane Horrocks (stood in queue behind her)
    Steve John Shepherd (very good looking in person, but just a glimpse)
    Clive Dunn, Jean Boht, Gretchen Franklin (all local to me at one time)
    I babysat for :-
    Brian Blessed's daughter (but never met him)
    and on one occasion babysat for a couple who said they were off to their father(in-law)'s 60th birthday party -turned out to be Alec Guinness's (1974).
    At conventions:-
    Most of cast of SG-1, all have been brilliant -but then they were on duty.
    Just one funny story:-
    My daughter and I had been to see Chris Judge (SG-1) at Windsor and the battery on her car was flat on return to car. We waited in foyer but hadn't the heart to ask Chris for push when he came out and we were saying 'where's a strong man when you need one?' at which point the whole of the Kiwis Rugby team walked in -we still waited for the AA!

Can't think off hand of any more but sure there have been some. Never had bad experience thankfully.
  • Ella NutElla Nut Posts: 8,891
    Forum Member
    I was on the same plane as him flying either from or to Spain (I can't remember, such a long time ago!) with my family. The plane had to sit on the runway in Spain for a long time as there was some sort of delay. Obviously the plane got really, really hot and stuffy. My grandad, who had suffered a stroke two years earlier, was starting to feel really poorly and burning up. We asked the flight attendant if he could perhaps stand by the door (which was open) just to get some air. The attendant said no as it wasn't safe. She was absolutely lovely about it and got him some ice etc but just couldn't let him stand near the door. He understood and didn't cause a problem, but was starting to go a funny colour so they asked for a first aider to look at him. He was fine and just needed to cool down.

Alan (who was sat next to me - he smelt like bleach) was tutting every time my grandad said something about being hot or feeling poorly (he wasn't the only one moaning but Alan only tutted when my grandad spoke).

When my grandad actually asked if he could sit by the door and the attendant said no, Alan grabbed her arm and said "Can I stand by the door?" The attendant said "No, nobody can - it's not safe." He then smiled and ACTUALLY SAID "Do you know who I am? I think you'll want to stand me by the door." The attendant frowned and said "It doesn't matter who you are, sir, you're not standing by the door."

Alan swore under his breath and then turned away. He then muttered something to his friend about having to put up with everyone on the plane and he should have taken his own plane. WAKE UP TITCHMARSH, YOU WERE FLYING ECONOMY SO GET OFF YOUR HIGH HORSE!!

Then in the airport, he was walking around like he was David Beckham. No one approached him and he looked annoyed. He kept looking at people, hoping that would snare a few autograph hunters. It was absolutely laughable at how desperate he looked.

It doesn't sound like much of a story, but he was such a slime ball. He makes my skin crawl and whenever I see him on the telly, I want to vom.

What a complete and utter knob. I would love to come across one of these celebs one day, I realllllly would. But I've only ever met one celeb in 40 odd years, Celine Dion's husband, so I won't hold my breath.
  • rioniarionia Posts: 1,657
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ClaraBow wrote: »
    John Barrowman is lovely, just like you see on TV really, though a bit more reserved apart from his laugh!

:confused:

You must have met him when he was tired. I've met him a few times at various events and 'reserved' isn't a word I'd use to describe him. He is nice bloke though
  • *Cadhla**Cadhla* Posts: 1,276
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I met Martin O'Neill when I was a kid... He was LOVELY!! Such a nice man.

As for Alan Titchmarsh....he is well known for being an arse. Everyone he works with hates him...look closely at the series presently on TV....his colleagues HATE him!