Options

EE: Alfie is so disrespectful towards the Masoods

123457»

Comments

• Options
    kitkat1971kitkat1971 Posts: 39,257
    Forum Member
    I never said that!

I was one of the first people to be upset, Kat and Alfie are my favourites!

I understood that you werem't meaning it was okay and that your primary sympathies were with Kat and Alfie. Just that you could understand why it got harder for Ronnie to come clean as time went on.
  • Options
    RetroMusicFanRetroMusicFan Posts: 6,673
    Forum Member
    kitkat1971 wrote: »
    I understood that you werem't meaning it was okay and that your primary sympathies were with Kat and Alfie. Just that you could understand why it got harder for Ronnie to come clean as time went on.

Exactly!

Thank you for that!
  • Options
    wizardtwizardt Posts: 2,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really dislike the character now. I used to like Alfie but he has been ruined :(
  • Options
    DeschanelDeschanel Posts: 8,745
    Forum Member
    Harlowe wrote: »
    Spot on.
    Thanks Harlowe.
    Personally I don't think it has come from nowhere. It has been developing for well over a year - possibly since Ronnie returned but certainly since splitting with Roxy and reconciling with Kat. Even his attitude to the staff and passengers on the plane when he went to stop Kat leaving was appalling. No considerationfor the fact that he was delaying all of those people, that he could have been a terroist so the staff needed him to leave. There have been countless selfish incidents since then, the throwing of the bust, selling all the Vic's stock at less than cost, taking Masood's bet knowing it was Tamwar's money, fleecing Nicole, emotionally blackmailing Terry to let him take the taxi out and on and on.

Some people get nastier when they are on their uppers and Alfie, apparently is one of them.
    I think his character destruction has been happening for a long time, it just feels like its been accelerated recently to the point of leaving the character with no likeability whatsoever.

You raise some good points, but I look at those as being isolated incidents. The plane thing was designed to be romantic, that's what they were going for, and that's what we as viewers were meant to feel: their connection, their love story coming together, etc. It was very reminiscent of the classic soap romantic gesture, where the male character has to prove how much he loves the female character by doing something bold. Plus, that involved inconveniencing extras that are not really important - totally different to regular characters that we have grown to love.

I agree about him morally stealing Mas's money that he knew to be Tamwar's uni fund, and while that was a low act, I could see that he felt some guilt, and was desperate. The Nicole thing was also terrible, but equally quite pointless. Even throughout all of this, I do feel he retained a degree of redeeming quality. Now, he suddenly has none.

You're right about some people getting nastier the more they are cornered, but I aways felt Alfie was like a clown: someone who would paint a smile on their face no matter how bad things get; deluding themselves into some kind of positivity, when on the inside they are dying. Alfie has lost that side to him, and I think this period will taint the character for ever. It happened to Bianca, and it will happen to Alfie.
    0...0 wrote: »
    I concur with Deschanel too. I often find with EE the writing doesn't make sense and I know how they want me to feel about certain characters or partnerships but it just doesn't translate. Something fails.
    That's exactly it. Somewhere along the line something goes wrong: maybe it's the scriptwriting, the direction, or maybe they just see something that isn't there, either way, a lot of the time the true meaning gets lost in translation.
    The thing is that Mo has basically given him an out. He doesn't have to tell anybody that the insurance won't pay out because he started the fire, just because they were storing commercial goods there. If he'd told Mas that he would have let him stay, even though it was clearly driving his own children away. But prideful alfie would never do such a thing - he'll just scam and then play hard done by when it doesn't work.
    But this the perfect time to develop Alfie's character; to have him show some humility and gratitude; to give him some smarts. I think the writing is actually quite lazy for this storyline; it actually has the potential to be very layered, but they're choosing to stick with Angry Alfie, while everyone around him become victims.