The Rihanna Appreciation Thread (Part 2)

Comments

• Pele-thefiregoddessPele-thefiregoddess Posts: 6,170
    Forum Member
    i would love to see a Madonna, Rihanna and Black Keys collab as the next step - dreams eh?
  • MikePJBMikePJB Posts: 5,514
    Forum Member
    You guys see the grammy's? I really enjoyed her performance of Stay and she always performs it really well live. Can't wait for her tour.
  • Hav_mor91Hav_mor91 Posts: 17,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Listening to A Girl Like Me as an album for the first time ina ges i tend to ignore or forget about her first two efforts :o

But it's a genuinely great body of work wouldhave served as a better debut than Music Of The Sun which sian incredibly weak link in her discography.
  • digipersondigiperson Posts: 4,825
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't wait to see Rihanna at Twickenham stadium tomorrow! :D:D:D

We Found Love is one of my favourite songs EVER!

David Guetta is opening too! It's going to be great!

Anyone else going tonight or tomorrow? :D
  • WHATEVER MANWHATEVER MAN Posts: 218
    Forum Member
    Hav_mor91 wrote: »
    Listening to A Girl Like Me as an album for the first time ina ges i tend to ignore or forget about her first two efforts :o

But it's a genuinely great body of work wouldhave served as a better debut than Music Of The Sun which sian incredibly weak link in her discography.

A Girl Like Me is her second best album after GGGB imo. It's such a crime how overlooked it is :(
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 18
    Forum Member
    Rihanna's just tweeted that she recorded a hook for one of her favourite artists wonder who it could be
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 24,080
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Had a VERY Rihanna day thus far...Rated R is my fave of hers...it stands up so well now 4 years on...cannot believe how time as flown...was a dark time for me and reminds me of where i have come :) beautifully dark album.

Talk That Talk on now methinks.

Anyways...Lady gaga "Sex Dreams" collab i think is confirmed...looking forward to it....saw her on Alan Carr alst night and she seemed her most relaxed in a while...cannot believe there is no new material with her this year but it is refreshing allowing me to appreictae her a lot more :)....is What Now her latest single then? Very good and different choice. great performance last night.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So glad no new material this year the issue for me with her last two albums lack of time given to each. Had Talk That Talk had longer and not been recorded on a tour bus and been totally concieved and executed it would have been her best but alas.

As for the Sex Dreams collab i think this is a good idea like with Katy Perry between OOTB and TD she collabed with big names (well sort of :p) and allowed herself to stay in the public eye. This is a good move for Riri as as with Rated R the gap proved negative but with her over saturation it;'s a clear and concise way to keep her here but not annoing anyone :p
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Unapologetic is my second fave of RIhannas i have confirmed to myself...BLASTED it and boy its frikkin fantastic....i mean i was tired of ehr last yea rbut bought it anyway and liked it a lot but a year on WOAH!! wowowow i just love that it feels like a sequel to Rated R in so many ways...i has the Isand rhythms it has an Industrial vibe with the massive EDM sounds...it is confessional...in many ways (i know she wanted to do it for LOUD originally) i had wished she had based it similar to Madonnas Confessions on a Dance FLoor and segue Unapologetic together...it has that flow practically already :) I think that it also managed MUUUCH better in that she wasnt touring at the same time as recording so sounds FAR less disjointed that Talk That Talk did.

hats my two cents anyway....Rated R, Unapologetic and good girl gone bad are definitely my favourtie and IMO her finest albums thus far...I also love that she copenned most of the songs on the album too much like Rated R and of coruse was the Producer of it much as she was before too :) her own direction/sound/vibe .....and it features some of her FINEST material to date too i think...What Now, Lost In Paradise, Loveeee Song, Nobodies Business, Numb, Diamonds, Pour It Up, No Love Allowed and Stay.....just WOW....infact you could take those songs with the better material of TTT and create her finest album .....crazy but true! It is possible...darny but still its a great peice of work by itself :) .
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Unapologetic is my second fave of RIhannas i have confirmed to myself...BLASTED it and boy its frikkin fantastic....i mean i was tired of ehr last yea rbut bought it anyway and liked it a lot but a year on WOAH!! wowowow i just love that it feels like a sequel to Rated R in so many ways...i has the Isand rhythms it has an Industrial vibe with the massive EDM sounds...it is confessional...in many ways (i know she wanted to do it for LOUD originally) i had wished she had based it similar to Madonnas Confessions on a Dance FLoor and segue Unapologetic together...it has that flow practically already :) I think that it also managed MUUUCH better in that she wasnt touring at the same time as recording so sounds FAR less disjointed that Talk That Talk did.

hats my two cents anyway....Rated R, Unapologetic and good girl gone bad are definitely my favourtie and IMO her finest albums thus far...I also love that she copenned most of the songs on the album too much like Rated R and of coruse was the Producer of it much as she was before too :) her own direction/sound/vibe .....and it features some of her FINEST material to date too i think...What Now, Lost In Paradise, Loveeee Song, Nobodies Business, Numb, Diamonds, Pour It Up, No Love Allowed and Stay.....just WOW....infact you could take those songs with the better material of TTT and create her finest album .....crazy but true! It is possible...darny but still its a great peice of work by itself :) .

The second half of Unapologetic is brilliant and if only Love without Tragedy and that whole set been expanded certainely her second best. As it is the first half lets it down and diminishes ther overall tone and message leaving it fractured. But it's better than TTT perfect 5 song punch to the face then flat out slide into meh non songs unfinished ideas and just messiness :o

It is so the case that each had their merits and potential for greatness but time constraints forced them into lesser versions of what they may have been. Rated R had time and was crafted and had her full involvement with no emphasis on hits. Even Loud had consistency and theme. Rated R, GGGB, Loud her three finest moments even AGLM the rest meh.
    Forum Member
    I listened to this album other week after a while and it still sounds brilliant.

I've become OBSESSED with 'What Now'. I've always loved that song but keep playing it a lot lately and I'm happy it's a single. Well, only if they promote it properly, don't want this to be wasted. I think this could easily get a Top 5 placing. Shoot the video, they should make it a nice wintery one, and a performance on X Factor would be great. She sung it well on Alan Carr so I know she can handle the song live.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    love her new cover photo...inspired by Medusa.....looove it...turned to stone transfixed <3

would have been cool imagery for Unaplogetic...would love her to tap into Mythology in thefutre she would roc it....check it out

https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/936009_10151784910868337_653853165_n.jpg
  • hilduffluvahilduffluva Posts: 3,969
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Looks like Rihanna will be getting another #1 this sunday! Also this keeps her consecutive years of getting #1s alive! YAY

2007 - Umbrella
    2008 - Take A Bow
    2009 - Run This Town
    2010 - Only Girl (In The World)
    2011 - What's My Name/We Found Love
    2012 - Diamonds
    2013 - THE MONSTER!!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 316
    Forum Member
    Does anyone know if she's planning a new album or something? This November is so strange, with no new Rihanna album.
  • mimicolemimicole Posts: 50,989
    Forum Member
    Does anyone know if she's planning a new album or something? This November is so strange, with no new Rihanna album.

I'm quite glad that there wasn't a new Rihanna album to be honest. I used to really like her music (Good Girl Gone Bad, Rated R, Loud and to a certain extent Talk That Talk) but I didn't buy Unapologetic. I listened to a bit of it and really didn't like it.

I don't know what's going on with her lately. She doesn't seem to care anymore.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Okay so only RIHRIH could get away with THAT! Reminds me of the reaction when Madonna sported that braless-bra by Jean Paul gaultier in 1992! ...just outrageous but smoookin and glam! She pulled it off.

MNEK has posted a lot of Rihanna influenced pictures/comments on his instagram recently...I do hope they are working together on album 8...i like his Dreamy/Urban style would suit RIhanna...also have heard Stargate and (rumoured) Calvin Harris has worked with her on new material...hmmmm....will have to see hear...but i do love her music album on album on album so really hope that she has worked hard to make a corker of an album.

there is speculation i have read that she may be doing a surprise single/album release but notsure if true...would love promotion from RIhanna :-).

Anyways just love seeing her out and about rocking new looks of late.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 126
    Forum Member
    I think it's great that Rihianna took a break musically as she was getting to the point of being over exposed! Unapologetic and then the singles with Eminem and Shakira!
    I think she should wait until November to bring out a single.
    Her last album was great but I hated the song "pour it up" and the music video as it was so shallow and tasteless promoting the stripper lifestyle! As if all that matters in life is making money! It definitely wasn't a feminist take on it, if a Stan writes that. She has a lot of young fans and while she is a very sexual performer I think they was a step too far! Stay was such a clays song and then to release that!
  • jlp95bwfcjlp95bwfc Posts: 18,351
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My all wrote: »
    I think it's great that Rihianna took a break musically as she was getting to the point of being over exposed! Unapologetic and then the singles with Eminem and Shakira!
    I think she should wait until November to bring out a single.
    Her last album was great but I hated the song "pour it up" and the music video as it was so shallow and tasteless promoting the stripper lifestyle! As if all that matters in life is making money! It definitely wasn't a feminist take on it, if a Stan writes that. She has a lot of young fans and while she is a very sexual performer I think they was a step too far! Stay was such a clays song and then to release that!

I really don't understand why she released Pour It Up. She should've released Jump instead. I'd have loved a video for Jump. I need new music from Rihanna :D.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,058
    Forum Member
    New music is coming this month. Elle magazine confirmed it!! :D:D:D:D:D

http://pophour.net/new-rihanna-music-coming-month/
    Forum Member
    Looking forward to some new music from her.

She recently performed Diamonds and Stay at the Valor concert

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ai0MFkSoEY

She sounded really good I thought. Hopefully this means more consistent performances for the future.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really really would love to see her next era :-)

Saving up to see Madonna (who i think will tour 2016) so yeah.

Speaking of which Madonna and RIhanna are really teasing meof late with their new albums...I know both will be great but...what they sound like and look like and feel like i cannot wait for!

Rihanna...well since 2007 I have loved following and loved each album so much since good girl gone bad! So yeah I really cannot wait what with a two year full gap since her last album ...I am intrigued and excited as to where RIhanna will head musically and thematically next...lots has happened...and she has been gettinv very political over the past few years too...her being back on Instagram has been a blessing!

Cannot wait!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm just glad she has taken time, it shows with Rated R an album crafted with love and care over time. Major issues with TTT and to an extent unapologetic a lack of time given to what should and could have been defining pop albums. But alas, so hopefully this next album puts her back on a critical footing.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thus far Rated R is her very best and most creative album....I mean it feels like a Horror film...bizarre, macabre, cartoonish, and maintains a very absurd flow throughout and every song has its place.

good girl gone bad and LOUD are very close runners up....gggb because i have such great memories with the album...so many iconic hits on one disc and every song has its place from start to finish (bar the Maroon 5 song) LOUD is shorter but so cohesive and brilliant...and while commercial it has such a vibrant edgy feel to it too...a very striking and well crafter Pop album very vibrant and again all 11 songs have their place.

TTT is messy, it just is....i loved it when released but in time i listen to it less...i adore the album packaging! But the content is very messy...love ehr Calvin Harris songs, The XX sample song, CHase & Status stuf...but the rest i find jarring or fillery....plus Cake annoyed me...it was half finished!

Unapologetic ws MUCH MUCH better...while some fillery songs overall it is a good album....the better third of TTT and the best two thirds of this album could have made an all round fourth excellent album for Rih Rih in hindsight....but Unapologetic was a surprise in that it was miles better than TTT.

So...yes two years in the making...she has made another film, had new fragrances/endorsements, been on tour, gotten political and been in the studio...making this album...i have great vibes about it...just want to see and hear it.

since 2007 for me she has maintained such an exciting intrigue about her....I feel we are about to see what her talents can do! I feel out of EVERY pop star in the mainstream TODAY RIhanna is by far the most intriguing and quietly creative force there is....from a commercial and artistic standpoint....I look forward to hear and see where the new material takes her and us!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    For me post song 6 of TTT falls in to filler miserably, the second half of Unapologetic is just amazing had those 8 songs turning LWT been a whole ninth would have been a amazing.

Hopefully she has taken note and created the album I know she has in her. Part of my issue with Loud was it was a great follow up to GGGB and probably the album she should have released first as after rated r it's a huge regression.
  • AdzPowerAdzPower Posts: 4,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    See for me I feel differently, loved her up until TTT, which for me sounded rushed and messy, as for Unapologetic, for me her worst album, rushed, choppy, demo-sounding production. I have high hopes that she will win me back around with this next album though, it certainly sounds like she's been putting a lot of effort into it.