Rory Kinnear ?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,095
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the idea that you need a bit of skirt in Doctor Who to keep the dads and lads happy should've gone out with the ark. I'm sure that's why they still do it but if you go onto GB forum most of the members are gay anyway. What's good for the goose should be good for the gander. If they can hire a companion primarily on her looks then why not the Doctor? It wouldn't bother me having an ugly Doctor if we had an ugly companion. But we very rarely do. I'm just suggesting that the balance be restored.

I know where you are coming from, there does seem to be a lack of balance with regards to the castings of the companions and the doctor.

I`m pretty sure this is why they still do it too I can`t think of any other reason why they would otherwise.

I do think the show should start to reflect more on its diverse audience, as you point out the show has now a large gay fan base plus a female fan base its no longer just a straight lads show anymore and its time it reflected this a little more or at the very least bring some balance in.
  • Joy DeanJoy Dean Posts: 21,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    doop wrote: »
    I know where you are coming from, there does seem to be a lack of balance with regards to the castings of the companions and the doctor.

I`m pretty sure this is why they still do it too I can`t think of any other reason why they would otherwise.

I do think the show should start to reflect more on its diverse audience, as you point out the show has now a large gay fan base plus a female fan base its no longer just a straight lads show anymore and its time it reflected this a little more or at the very least bring some balance in.

:confused:
  • Gill PGill P Posts: 21,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What happened when Matt Smith was cast? Did he appear in the betting lists? And if so did they suspend the betting on him?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 955
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    k9fan wrote: »
    :confused:

Yeah... Me too... I've watched nice the late eighties (when I was around 3-4years old...) and well... I've never been any definition of a straight lad...
  • Joy DeanJoy Dean Posts: 21,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Torry_Z wrote: »
    Yeah... Me too... I've watched nice the late eighties (when I was around 3-4years old...) and well... I've never been any definition of a straight lad...

:)
    I've watched since the beginning; I am an ancient straight female.:)
  • owlycherriesowlycherries Posts: 2,384
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    shortcrust wrote: »
    We miss out on so much these days because of our obsession with looks and youth. Just think of how many amazing actors and bands from the past wouldn't get off the starting blocks today because they're not pretty enough. Less homogenous shiny plastic flesh please!:D

Nobody says that about the assistants, though =/

Anyway, I've never heard of this guy! Frankly though, I don't care who gets cast, so long as they're the best man for the job - I just want an announcement of who the 12th Doctor is NOW!!:p
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gill P wrote: »
    What happened when Matt Smith was cast? Did he appear in the betting lists? And if so did they suspend the betting on him?

I`m not sure, but he certainly was an outsider from what I remember he was not the favourite nobody even knew who he was.
  • ntscuserntscuser Posts: 8,208
    Forum Member
    Gill P wrote: »

Yes, they suspended betting on Matt Smith after some very large bets were placed on him for no apparent reason.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ntscuser wrote: »
    Yes, they suspended betting on Matt Smith after some very large bets were placed on him for no apparent reason.

Did they? was this shortly before he was announced as the 11th?
    Forum Member
    Did they? was this shortly before he was announced as the 11th?

Yes and I think they were forced to bring the announcement forward as a result of the obvious leak.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes and I think they were forced to bring the announcement forward as a result of the obvious leak.

But if this particular piece of news were true they would have done the rumoured thing of a big announcement...
  • TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,373
    Forum Member
    k9fan wrote: »

I think he's a perfectly competent actor and that choice would be fine by me. He's also already got form in doing good science fiction: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1535107/
    Forum Member
    But if this particular piece of news were true they would have done the rumoured thing of a big announcement...

Who is to say they won't within the next day or so?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Who is to say they won't within the next day or so?

But what I'm saying is it's probably not Rory lovely as he is... Because they just let the story in the Telegraph run...
    Forum Member
    But what I'm saying is it's probably not Rory lovely as he is... Because they just let the story in the Telegraph run...

I'm afraid I don't follow you logic? They haven't officially denied the story and the odds are still 11/7 in Rory's favour in the one place that is still taking bets.
  • KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member

Yes, exactly that!
  • brumiladbrumilad Posts: 1,467
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Doctor Who has always had a large gay fan base.

The gay guy who re-launched it sort of made fun of the fact of that in his drama about gay guys.

And this might sound terribly stereotypical but there's nothing the gay guys love more than a pretty young heroine.

In fact Doctor Who has always had a very big female viewership. I think people think the (predominantly male) geek base who never stopped loving it during the years it wasn't there were the only ones that loved it when it was on. When in reality the spread of people who watch and enjoy it today are pretty much the same as those who watched and enjoyed it back then.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,174
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He was very good in Skyfall think he would have good potential and maybe taking the Doctor back more to CE style
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm afraid I don't follow you logic? They haven't officially denied the story and the odds are still 11/7 in Rory's favour in the one place that is still taking bets.

But what I'm saying is they knew someone was publishing and they still said... "No, no, no we're not telling you today."

This isn't the same as predictable news like someone's role ending...

Think about what they did when Private Eye got wind of what ended up as 7a which was previously specials

I mean if I'm wrong brilliant, Rory is lovely.

But it sounds too stealth for what we know of the BBC PR wagon... I mean it has square wheels!
    Forum Member
    brumilad wrote: »
    Doctor Who has always had a large gay fan base.

The gay guy who re-launched it sort of made fun of the fact of that in his drama about gay guys.

And this might sound terribly stereotypical but there's nothing the gay guys love more than a pretty young heroine.

Really?! That's news to me.
    Forum Member
    But what I'm saying is they knew someone was publishing and they still said... "No, no, no we're not telling you today."

All the Telegraph said was: “He has been offered the part and [the BBC] are waiting to hear if he will accept”

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/celebritynews/10108234/BBC-asks-James-Bond-star-to-be-its-new-Doctor-Who.html

If true that is not something the BBC could possibly comment on until they receive a reply.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    All the Telegraph said was: “He has been offered the part and [the BBC] are waiting to hear if he will accept”

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/celebritynews/10108234/BBC-asks-James-Bond-star-to-be-its-new-Doctor-Who.html

If true that is not something the BBC could possibly comment on until they receive a reply.

That's fair. I guess I hoped they'd announce soon... :( I'm very needy me...
  • saladfingers81saladfingers81 Posts: 11,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Some incredibly nasty posts in this thread mostly from one particular individual. I'll leave it up to others to decide who that might be.
  • saladfingers81saladfingers81 Posts: 11,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In other news. If you want a piece of fresh faced twink eye candy go and watch the Justin Bieber movie or dust your Conor Maynard poster and leave Doctor Who to the intelligent and not jaw droppingly shallow.
    Forum Member
    In other news. If you want a piece of fresh faced twink eye candy go and watch the Justin Bieber movie or dust your Conor Maynard poster and leave Doctor Who to the intelligent and not jaw droppingly shallow.

Let's have an ugly companion then. No, we won't, because when it comes to casting being 'jaw droppingly shallow' wins out every time.