Options

Lets be honest: Louis has already won, Denise runner up. Lets all go home.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 44
    Forum Member
    I like Denise and enjoy her dances, but it's ridiculous to pretend she hasn't got a huge advantage from her professional background (in excess of any other competitor).

She was a bloody judge on a show to choose a West End lead!

She made huge fuss when she first started doing musicals about experienced and committed she was and she was more then a TV presenter blah blah...

Now she reckons all she did was sit on a chair and it was the same old rubbish that any celeb could do...something doesn't add up ;)
  • Options
    TerryM22TerryM22 Posts: 19,463
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Get your coats, last one out switch off the light. :D

Only way these 2 won't be the final two is if they pull out of the comp or break their legs.

Its pretty obvious now that the judges erratic marks (esp this weekend) is their attempt to keep things 'interesting' and stop it being SO obvious Louis has already taken the glitterball.

I am only watching now to see who comes in third!!

I think its far to early to suggest this.
  • Options
    mindyannmindyann Posts: 20,264
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Monkseal wrote: »
    I still can't get over the fact that Roxie Hart is a part that Michelle Williams played.

Michelle Williams

Although in an adjacent anecdote apparently Kelly Osbourne pretended she could dance to get cast as Roxie Hart, then turned up and was too crap for it, so they bunted her off into playing Mama Morton instead. She still managed to finish third on Dancing With The Stars.

Yeah, but on DwtS Kelly had the whole bigger girl/learning to dance/gaining confidence/losing weight pick and mix storyline - and Sharon sat in the audience every week :eek:
  • Options
    ladydancer1ladydancer1 Posts: 1,315
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd love to see Louis win. :)
  • Options
    Mystical123Mystical123 Posts: 15,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    minimina wrote: »
    I like Denise and enjoy her dances, but it's ridiculous to pretend she hasn't got a huge advantage from her professional background (in excess of any other competitor).

She was a bloody judge on a show to choose a West End lead!

Like I said, no-one's disputing that. Of course her background gives her an advantage that she shouldn't play down. But that's not the same a being a professional dancer - you don't need to be a professional dancer to be in a West End show, and particularly not Chicago, which is notorious for stunt casting.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 44
    Forum Member
    Like I said, no-one's disputing that. Of course her background gives her an advantage that she shouldn't play down. But that's not the same a being a professional dancer - you don't need to be a professional dancer to be in a West End show, and particularly not Chicago, which is notorious for stunt casting.

Agreed (up to a point) - she was a professional dancer by definition (she was paid to dance), but not in the same terms as the professionals on Strictly - of course! Ballroom and Latin are new to her.

Re the stunt casting: That is more of a recent thing, Denise pre-dates that - she was taken on as an all-singing, all-dancing pro as she repeated time and again in the interviews she gave at that time (I've a very strong memory of her talking about the extreme weight loss from doing a full time show and the headline was "Denise: I've lost my boobs!").

In fact Denise is more of a singer than a dancer and always has been, so if she had just been more up front about it then there might not have been such a fuss.

Ultimately she's good to watch and I think she's got a fair few fans tuning in.
  • Options
    IlluvatarIlluvatar Posts: 774
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Getting back to the original point, you could, on paper, see the similarities between this and last series:

Louis and Harry. Strictly are both pimping them for the female vote. I'm not saying it's working or that women will vote for them based on their looks but they did it to Harry last year and now they're talking Louis up with constant jokes of Darcey fancying him, talking up his body etc.

Denise is kind of a Jason type. Popular with a certain amount of people who remember their hey-day (Jason moreso) but would not win entirely on a popular vote. A good bet for the final but doubts over whether they'll win.

Dani is like Chelsee, a dark horse who has had or is having a long journey towards the final under the radar so to speak.

And Kimberley is a bit like Holly. Don't think she's expected to win but is still expected to do well, with enough talent to get to the semis and just enough of the popular vote to get her through. Holly was also slightly disadvantaged as I think she, unfairly, even now is still known as the "Neighbours chick", a not-particuarly-successful popstar and Mrs Nick Candy. But I was rooting for Holly so I'm biased.

That's how it is on paper. But the show doesn't work on paper.

Fern, Richard and Nicky should go and then it's anyone's guess with Lisa, Victoria, Michael, Kim, Dani, Denise and Louis left.

Lisa needs to show more variety soon. She's done well with some dances so far but we're soon going to get to the stage where the novelty of a big woman with mad faces doing a lot of comedy to get through is going to wear off. Last week's dance, she struggled with because it wasn't as elegant as it needed to be and I do think her physicality may cause her to struggle there. I do like Lisa but I think she'll be next.

The four I mentioned above should be the final four but you never know if Michael or Victoria are going to be a wild card. They both have fan support for their various journeys and you never know, one great week from either or both of them could put two of the favourites in the dance-off and that changes the complexion of the whole thing.

This isn't like last year where I thought it was pretty obvious the final four were going to be Jason, Chelsee, Harry and Holly. While I still think the final four will be Denise, Louis, Kim and Dani, I wouldn't be willing to bet on it because I think Michael or Victoria reaching the semis is not outside the realms of possibility.
  • Options
    Pippa 2Pippa 2 Posts: 2,614
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TerryM22 wrote: »
    I think its far to early to suggest this.

I agree Terry. It's impossible at this stage to predict a winner.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 908
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree it is too early to say. Strictly is often like the tortoise and the hare. I have to sdmit if I am right the tortoise is really slow the is year but I do think the winner will emerge down below.
  • Options
    ESPIONdansantESPIONdansant Posts: 6,760
    Forum Member
    The winner will emerge down below? Oo er, Missus! o;)

Or d'you mean an Aussie? Natalie?
  • Options
    Alli-FAlli-F Posts: 32,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The winner will emerge down below? Oo er, Missus! o;)

Or d'you mean an Aussie? Natalie?

From what I remember poshtemfan is a Nicky supporter. ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Oh, right. Whisper it quietly but I don't think Nicky is nearly as bad as everyone else seems to think. I quite like him.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh, right. Whisper it quietly but I don't think Nicky is nearly as bad as everyone else seems to think. I quite like him.

You're brave! :p:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I know!!!!

But I'm not taking it back.
  • Options
    SCD-ObserverSCD-Observer Posts: 18,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I know!!!!

I have to agree in some ways. If Nicky sorts out is odd ballroom posture, he'll look decent and comparable to Michael in the ballroom.

And if somehow he could get is hip gyrations right (it's all in the foot placement apparently), then his latin would be ten times better than Michael.

But to say he'll ever be on par or surpass Louis dance wise? Hmm, I just can't see that for a million miles...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know!!!!

Is it alright if we stand around pointing and laughing? :confused::p:p:p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Not saying he could be better than Louis.

But I am saying that I think he does have potential which Karen hasn't managed to showcase.

Go on then. Point! Laugh! Go ahead!
  • Options
    SCD-ObserverSCD-Observer Posts: 18,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

But I am saying that I think he does have potential which Karen hasn't managed to showcase.

I want to, but I won't, maybe I should get some cats and dogs in here? They are all laughing at Julien's skinny-doggie jumper design for a poor super-model dog somewhere...

Oh, I should have said I am not saying you are comparing Nicky with Louis. Just when you say he's not nearly as bad, I was wondering nearly in comparison with whom? Not many male celebs left and those that are left are far from good.
  • Options
    serafimoserafimo Posts: 1,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Karen & Nicky are the couple that I'd most like to be a fly on the wall in their training. I haven't liked her choreo with him at all, but I have liked her in the pro dances, so I really want to work out if she's just a bad teacher, or has had to dumb down her routines with Nicky so that it's on a level he's capable of.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Well, if he corrected a couple of things he'd be respectable. You know - the bum and so forth. Leaning over. I do think he'd have done better with a different pro.

If Nat or Erin got hold of him (yeah, I know they're too tall) I think they'd sort it out.
  • Options
    peevepeeve Posts: 3,793
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

If there is a dancer in there waiting to get out, I haven't yet seen it. :(

Looking at the training footage, it appears that Nicky will be dancing with a cane. When he's holding it horizontally in front of his chest, it ruins any attempt at the proper frame and exaggerates his poor posture. I can't work out if:

a) Karen is daft to choreograph something that exaggerates a known weakness; or
    b) Karen has resigned herself to it and hopes the cane action will be blamed for the poor posture; or
    c) It's all a cunning plan so that Nicky can wow us all in about week 8 with a miraculously wonderful frame...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    His footwork is fairly neat and he does have some hip movement.

But we get so little footage (FOOTage) of the steps that it's not that obvious. Put him in a back brace!
  • Options
    PaacePaace Posts: 14,679
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    serafimo wrote: »
    Karen & Nicky are the couple that I'd most like to be a fly on the wall in their training. I haven't liked her choreo with him at all, but I have liked her in the pro dances, so I really want to work out if she's just a bad teacher, or has had to dumb down her routines with Nicky so that it's on a level he's capable of.

I find him still too flat footed and he's yet to do anything to say he can dance. Michael has improved greatly in comparison . Maybe that's down to having a better teacher .
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Awwwww, we still love you. ;)

I do think he drew the short straw when it came to pros. I think Erin or Nstalie would have sorted out his posture in the first week and we'd have a totally different dancer on our hands but I don't think Karen's getting anything better than his tango out of him.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Paace wrote: »
    I find him still too flat footed and he's yet to do anything to say he can dance. Michael has improved greatly in comparison . Maybe that's down to having a better teacher .

I think Michael has improved I ballroom, his Latin has still to convince me.