Comments

• franciefrancie Posts: 31,089
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RIP...xxx
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A guy has written a tribute song to Stephen and put it on youtube.

Let's Get Stephen One Million Plays with This Song In His Memory
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3WM5KEG0yAE
  • tenofspadestenofspades Posts: 12,875
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Really sad news. 19 is harsh, far too early.
  • mrsgrumpy49mrsgrumpy49 Posts: 10,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    RIP Stephen Sutton. What a wonderful and brave young man.
    To die at 19 is terrible but to make the time count, as he did - is incredible.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm very sad to read about this. I was really hoping - somehow - there would be a miracle and maybe things would get better. :(

I know I will get attacked for saying this and I really do NOT mean to cause any offence or upset anyone, but I think the reaction to Stephen has been a bit too far. YES he is inspirational and YES alot of people could learn from him and it was WONDERFUL that he raised so much money (speaking as someone who has lost family members to cancer) but I have been reading comments saying he was a saviour (some "shared" thing is going around Facebook calling him that), a credit to mankind, a hero and deserving of a Knighthood. I am careful with how I word this because I don't want it to be seen as trolling, but I think people just need to calm down a bit. This was a very social media friendly story and is slightly alarming how obsessed people are with this story. Various pictures have been going around Twitter and Facebook with horrible messages directed to the likes of Justin Bieber, One Direction, bodybuilders ("they are not strong. Stephen is strong") and I even saw someone complain about how their uncle - who had cancer - couldn't "act like Stephen and man up"! It is also slightly uncomfortable for me to see such a huge public frenzy over his death. I've always believed some things should be kept private and while I understand Stephen had to update the public on his progress (and promote himself in order to raise money) it seemed like he was starting to milk it a bit and do his best to be seen as a "saint".

Again, RIP to him and I genuinely did hope for a miracle for him and am saddened by his death, I'm grateful for the money he raised up and it is a story I'll be thinking about for a long time, all I am saying is that I'm uncomfortable with the public reaction to the story. It's just far too over the top for me and I feel like people are trying hard for "likes" and "retweets" on their networking sites by milking his story and talking about him as much as possible, instead of just respectfully leaving the guy alone now.

I hope I don't get lynched for this. :(
  • dee-recdee-rec Posts: 2,408
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shadow2009 I can kind of see where you are coming from, but I don't think he was in anyway milking it or trying to be seen as a saint. What the poor lad went through was horrendous, he must have been terrified although he always portrayed such a positive face to the public. I genuinely believe he was trying to raise awareness of the disease and raise funds for charity not trying to become some kind of celebrity.
  • jasvinyljasvinyl Posts: 14,631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Shadow2009 wrote: »
    I'm very sad to read about this. I was really hoping - somehow - there would be a miracle and maybe things would get better. :(

I know I will get attacked for saying this and I really do NOT mean to cause any offence or upset anyone, but I think the reaction to Stephen has been a bit too far. YES he is inspirational and YES alot of people could learn from him and it was WONDERFUL that he raised so much money (speaking as someone who has lost family members to cancer) but I have been reading comments saying he was a saviour (some "shared" thing is going around Facebook calling him that), a credit to mankind, a hero and deserving of a Knighthood. I am careful with how I word this because I don't want it to be seen as trolling, but I think people just need to calm down a bit. This was a very social media friendly story and is slightly alarming how obsessed people are with this story. Various pictures have been going around Twitter and Facebook with horrible messages directed to the likes of Justin Bieber, One Direction, bodybuilders ("they are not strong. Stephen is strong") and I even saw someone complain about how their uncle - who had cancer - couldn't "act like Stephen and man up"! It is also slightly uncomfortable for me to see such a huge public frenzy over his death. I've always believed some things should be kept private and while I understand Stephen had to update the public on his progress (and promote himself in order to raise money) it seemed like he was starting to milk it a bit and do his best to be seen as a "saint".

Again, RIP to him and I genuinely did hope for a miracle for him and am saddened by his death, I'm grateful for the money he raised up and it is a story I'll be thinking about for a long time, all I am saying is that I'm uncomfortable with the public reaction to the story. It's just far too over the top for me and I feel like people are trying hard for "likes" and "retweets" on their networking sites by milking his story and talking about him as much as possible, instead of just respectfully leaving the guy alone now.

In an abstract way I agree with you. People can react in extremes ways to public interest stories, sometimes positively and sometimes negatively (depending on your point of view). It can come over as more about the person reacting, rather than the subject of the event. It can, as you say, be uncomfortable to see.

It is what it is, and is down to the individuals who respond in such a way, not the story itself. Overall, in this case, the overwhelming good which has been/will be achieved outweighs any personal discomfort. Let them that want to revel get on with it; they will, regardless.

I don't agree with the part about Stephen milking it. I think that is your interpretation, coloured by the opinion you formed.
  • wilehelmaswilehelmas Posts: 3,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The boy done good.

RIP.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 25,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I think what Stephen really wanted to do with his life was to quietly get on with it, pass his A levels, go to Cambridge and become a doctor, undoubtedly he would have been an excellent one and he would have helped many people.

I don't think would have chosen to have all this fuss but giventhe hand he was dealt, he lived his life the way he wanted to - not wishing ever to be compared to others or be thought better than someone who deals with their life in a different way. By speaking out about what having cancer means to you when you are a teenager, he has done things he never thought he'd do and raised a phenomenal amount of money and awareness for young cancer sufferers.

People's reactions are their own choices. I can see you personally have reacted in a certain way and that is fine, it's your prerogative but I take issue with your contention that Stephen was 'milking it' - for what reason? To get a bit more news coverage in the hours before he died? I doubt that very much. He really didn't want to be seen as a saint but as someone who didn't measure his life in time but in what he could achieve.

"True humanness consists of a continuous series of tiny acts executed with absolute sincerity and largeness of heart." Sri Sathya Sai Baba
  • kippehkippeh Posts: 6,655
    Forum Member

Agreed. He's this week's "thing" and will be forgotten about by the general public soon. The internet is a double-edged sword, in that it is the most marvellous instrument of information and communication, but at the same time, provides a platform for nonsense, mass hysteria and stupid, inane comments from people who at one time you would have been able to just avoid (Which probably includes me)
  • RellyRelly Posts: 3,469
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    *snip*

All those stating Shadow said Stephen was milking his story, would you re-read that BIB? Shadow's saying people are milking the story in order to get likes/retweets - not that Stephen did.
  • skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I see from the lunchtime news there has been a documentary made about Stephen the man who made it was being interviewed but no mention of when it will be shown.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 25,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Relly wrote: »
    All those stating Shadow said Stephen was milking his story, would you re-read that BIB? Shadow's saying people are milking the story in order to get likes/retweets - not that Stephen did.

My apologies for that.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Okay, 'milking it' was a poor choice of words. I take that back.

I guess it's just a weird thing I have an issue with, it's not just Stephen, I just feel that people shouldn't have to let thousands of strangers know all their private business and 'update' them all the time.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh, so I was wrong? Goddamn, I'm confused now, because that sentence was clear to me.

Leave me alone with my shame, will you? Sorry! :blush:

Anyway, if that's what you meant, Shadow, then I don't agree either. It's the equivalent of an inspirational person pre-internet getting a weekly column in the newspaper or on local TV, etc, and it's only the advent of the internet that's widened that effect.

Those who post pictures of their backsides or cleavages once a day for likes/retweets - those I have issue with.
  • SnikpohSnikpoh Posts: 2,421
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Re-read the end of his second paragraph.
    RIP Stephen. What a legacy.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Snikpoh wrote: »
    Re-read the end of his second paragraph.
    RIP Stephen. What a legacy.

Yep, I did, Hopkins - dammit, I'm embarrassed to hell and back. :blush:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    skp20040 wrote: »
    I see from the lunchtime news there has been a documentary made about Stephen the man who made it was being interviewed but no mention of when it will be shown.

It has already been released on youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MvG3ifEd0t0

Info about documentary.

http://www.basingstokegazette.co.uk/news/11208393.Basingstoke_company_helps_make_documentary_about_cancer_sufferer_Stephen_Sutton/?ref=var_0
  • housegirlhousegirl Posts: 6,017
    Forum Member
    Rest in peace Stephen Sutton. I bet he will be an inspiration to other young cancer patients, me I thought he was great for what he did.
  • bookaddictbookaddict Posts: 2,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    deleted
  • jasvinyljasvinyl Posts: 14,631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

My reference to the "milking it" comment was based on this section of the same post:
    I always believed some things should be kept private and while I understand Stephen had to update the public on his progress (and promote himself in order to raise money) it seemed like he was starting to milk it a bit and do his best to be seen as a "saint".

That's the section I disagreed with.

ETA: I see there has since been some clarification. No worries.
  • Janet29Janet29 Posts: 22,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RIP Stephen, i believe now and again special people come to our attention and are inspirational and charismatic, sleep well xx
  • charlie1charlie1 Posts: 10,796
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I get upset when I see news clips about Stephen.
    It's because, I see a young man, who knowing he had a terminal illness, chose selfishly, to spend the remainder of his days raising money for his charity.
    He didn't deserve to pass so young.
    Again, god bless you, Stephen.
  • CFCJM1CFCJM1 Posts: 2,065
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It really is such a surreal experience to sit and read the Daily Mail with all the endless crap about Z listers such as the Kardashians - and then to read Stephen's story. Its like entering two contrasting worlds.

His dignity, strength, compassion and inspiration has touched us all and it brings a tear to my eyes every time I see this young man in the papers or on the TV.

May he now rest in peace and may his wonderful family be given the strength to cope with their heartbreak,
  • spookyLXspookyLX Posts: 11,730
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2629187/Steven-Sutton-Just-Giving-donations-hit-4m-honour-inspirational-brave-teenager.html

DM reporting the total on his just giving page with gift aid added has reached 4 million , that is Amazing to think how many young people will get more help thanks to this wonderful young man