Options

I'm having an "is it me?" moment.

Pea1Pea1 Posts: 383
Forum Member
I called in the supermarket on the way home from work today to pick up some bread etc. I was standing in line at the checkout waiting my turn when the lady on the checkout obviously needed to sneeze, so she turned away from the person she was serving, sneezed into her hand, then turned back and carried on serving. It obviously wasn't a big sneeze but big enough. I thought eeeeewwwww! I suppose she wasn't actually touching the food as it was already packaged but even so......... Should I have said something??? Shouldn't she have had a tissue handy for this type of situation?

Or perhaps it's me???

Comments

• Options
    Billy_ValueBilly_Value Posts: 22,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    maybe she should have sneezed in your face
  • Options
    anne_666anne_666 Posts: 72,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thank you, I feel sick now! >:(

I suppose the GBP in the queue said nothing?:D
  • Options
    dan_blamiresdan_blamires Posts: 1,006
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was lady cashier that did this? I find that surprising. Not very pleasant.
  • Options
    jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member
    Pea1 wrote: »
    I called in the supermarket on the way home from work today to pick up some bread etc. I was standing in line at the checkout waiting my turn when the lady on the checkout obviously needed to sneeze, so she turned away from the person she was serving, sneezed into her hand, then turned back and carried on serving. It obviously wasn't a big sneeze but big enough. I thought eeeeewwwww! I suppose she wasn't actually touching the food as it was already packaged but even so......... Should I have said something??? Shouldn't she have had a tissue handy for this type of situation?

Or perhaps it's me???

As long as no mucous was discharged. It's a sneeze. We all do them.
  • Options
    gulliverfoylegulliverfoyle Posts: 6,318
    Forum Member
    its you
  • Options
    Jesse PinkmanJesse Pinkman Posts: 5,794
    Forum Member
    As with all things: Had she stood up, left till with an "excuse me I'll be right back" and gone and washed her hands, a little Hitler supervisor or trumped up manager would have dragged her into the office to bollock her about leaving the till.

Yet if you had asked the management about it, they would have changed their tune and said that they take hygiene very importantly and that she should have washed her hands,

So typical work place where the management only think about the firm and not the people.
  • Options
    AOTBAOTB Posts: 9,708
    Forum Member
    No it's not just you. The lack of awareness is perhaps worse than the 'eww that's gross' thing they've got going on.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Having said that then in Iceland you get load of teenage boys with big open zits who haven't been near a shower in months. Rubbing their faces and neck and then handling your shopping. Add to that their bathroom habits and sexual relivings and they really should do a programme on what cultures they find growing on an average shopping bag!

And soon you will have to pay them 5p for this the privilege of giving us one of these puss-ridden sacks.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 123
    Forum Member
    it depends what kind of sneeze it was as to whether it would bother me. was it just an a-choo? or an aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhchoooooo?

If the latter and she was packing my food, I probably wouldn't have been best pleased if she'd just carried on as normal!

maybe they should supply hand gel to all their staff working behind the tills, for circumstances such as these. I keep some on my desk at work, as I deal with documents belonging to other people, and don't think they'd appreciate my sneeze germs all over them.

I guess that makes me weird as well? so not just you, it's me too!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Having said that then in Iceland you get load of teenage boys with big open zits who haven't been near a shower in months. Rubbing their faces and neck and then handling your shopping. Add to that their bathroom habits and sexual relivings and they really should do a programme on what cultures they find growing on an average shopping bag!

And soon you will have to pay them 5p for this the privilege of giving us one of these puss-ridden sacks.

Omg. I wish I could unread this.
  • Options
    Pea1Pea1 Posts: 383
    Forum Member
    jra wrote: »
    As long as no mucous was discharged. It's a sneeze. We all do them.

I'm not sure that mucus was discharged but it sounded like a fairly wet sneeze to me. (I apologise to those of a sensitive disposition) which ultimately landed on her hands.
  • Options
    Billy_ValueBilly_Value Posts: 22,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    was she ugly? i think if it was a gorgeous woman it wouldn't bother you
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 375
    Forum Member
    Christ everyone sneezes!!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think these days we are advised to sneeze into the fabric of our sleeve, as opposed to placing a hand over our mouths- which was the protocol when I was raised.
  • Options
    RebelScumRebelScum Posts: 16,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I hope you had the good manners to say bless you.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 47
    Forum Member
    It's not just you. Sneezing into the inner elbow is preferred by most, I think.

Sometimes we need little etiquette reminders. One non-confrontational way to resolve this issue is with a tissue.

Simply 'mention' an offer of tissues and hand sanitizer, even if you don't have any. Sorta like this: "Oh, bless you... I might have some hand sanitizer or tissues, if you don't..." Then dig around in your handbag.

Hopefully they get the hint to stop and clean their hands.
  • Options
    JB3JB3 Posts: 9,308
    Forum Member

Just to say I really enjoyed this post.:D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,313
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

You should have your Internet access blocked for that post. Eeeeewwwww!!!

:cry:
  • Options
    TeddybleadsTeddybleads Posts: 6,814
    Forum Member
    You should have immediately offered her your handkerchief.

I mean, that's why we all carry two.

Isn't it!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Odd Socks wrote: »
    You should have your Internet access blocked for that post. Eeeeewwwww!!!

:cry:

:DJust telling it how it is!

You will be looking at that spotty youth differently next time you shop!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,692
    Forum Member
    It sounds very vile, disturbing and vile. I hope you're alright after this shockingly vile and disgusting ordeal. Vile.

Vile. I don't know what I would have done if I was faced with this vile situation. Vile. It doesn't bear thinking about.
  • Options
    Penny CrayonPenny Crayon Posts: 36,158
    Forum Member
    As with all things: Had she stood up, left till with an "excuse me I'll be right back" and gone and washed her hands, a little Hitler supervisor or trumped up manager would have dragged her into the office to bollock her about leaving the till.

Yet if you had asked the management about it, they would have changed their tune and said that they take hygiene very importantly and that she should have washed her hands,

So typical work place where the management only think about the firm and not the people.

I was about to post something very similar. Of course she couldn't have left her post to wash her hands ................If that were permitted it'd be chaos as sneezing is quite a commonplace event (or even pretentdng to in order to get a couple of minutes breather) .

I do think perhaps it might be an idea for every checkout to have hand sanitiser on hand though - it's common sense really.
  • Options
    UffaUffa Posts: 1,910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am never ever shopping in Iceland again. :D:D I will be examining the young lads hands closely next time I am out shopping. Actually I wonder how many checkout assistants or cafe workers wash their hands after going to the loo? :)
  • Options
    Poppy99_PoppyPoppy99_Poppy Posts: 2,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shop online. The packer may have unhygienic habits but you don't see it!
  • Options
    jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member
    Uffa wrote: »
    I am never ever shopping in Iceland again. :D:D I will be examining the young lads hands closely next time I am out shopping. Actually I wonder how many checkout assistants or cafe workers wash their hands after going to the loo? :)

Germs and bacteria are everywhere. Best not to think about it sometimes.

That's why we have immune systems.